Portable shop heater (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trunk Monkey

Threads
Simple question, which style works better? I've heard from buddies that love both. Seems like the can would be more ambient heat and the torpedo would be directional, but any first hand use of one or the other people have preferred?

1115223.jpg
1115227.jpg

That dynaglow is Kerosene correct? I've been on jobsites with the torpedo style kerosene with blower fan and they do heat the place up, but they're also loud and stinky. (doesn't matter much for rough framing, but our painters just had one in a finished house, and it was bad).
For a normal-ish sized garage, I always liked the propane tank ones like these. There are quite a few versions out there.
I've never even seen that other type in person.
1575516161663.png

Roger that.
How big is the intended space? Barn with super high ceiling/or open framing garage,small shop,shed?

For a normal-ish sized garage, I always liked the propane tank ones like these. There are quite a few versions out there.
I've never even seen that other type in person.
View attachment 2149293

That's what I use for the few times per year when I need heat. Works well in my insulated shop building.

3 car garage, deeper and taller. Think I'll try the propane tank mounted one, HF has them with coupon for just over fiddy. I don't need constant heat, just something warm near the car when I joyously get to wrench on it in the winter.

I've got a bigger version of the Dynglo. It heats my 36 x 48 barn very well.
The big plus is that it uses Diesel or Kerosene.
In the long run its a lot cheaper than propane.
The propane is quieter, and doesnt smell so bad when you shut it down, and for $50 you might be OK.
You might want to invest in a larger propane tank.
Bobmo
Happy wrenching

The Dyna-Glo style will heat a larger space quickly. They typically throw out a ton of heat and the fan circulates it so that you're not just heating around the heater. I'm going to guess the propane version goes through A LOT of propane. Downsides to the kerosene/diesel ones are the smell and fumes (don't shut all the doors/windows completely) and that they typically leave an oily coating on everything with much use.

The LP tank mounted ones don't heat nearly as large a space - pretty much just what it is directed at. I've got one I set up behind me at the workbench and it keeps me and my workspace moderately warm. If I get up and go out of it's range you can definitely feel it's range (it gets colder).

I use the torpedo style. Mostly as the one I have runs on red untaxed diesel! Super cheap and burns forever on 5 gallons. I also prefer it because it is directional, you can shoot the heat where you need it. Working under a truck, point it that way and you can work with a t shirt on in sub zero temps. I have a portable shelter that I work in when the snow is bad and it leaks like a sieve. Put that rocket heater in there for a couple minutes and I can get in there to work in the warm. I do agree that they are loud and need to be in a ventilated area. Inside a closed shop use the propane version, they are safe for enclosed spaces.

I have the jet engine/torpedo style. I like it. Heats up my 24 x 24 quickly. I have a CO2 monitor in the space. It does burn through propane fairly quickly - far faster than a fireplace or gas grill. We used the massive kerosene ones in a hardware store I worked in years ago. I never experienced any issues with an oily coating getting on anything. They both smell different but both smell about.
No experience with the other style.

I suppose the root of the question might have to do with how much space you're heating, of how long will you need it, and what will you be doing.

I have a permanent shop unit heater on my ceiling, it runs off natural gas in my attached two-car garage, which is used only as a repair shop. I set it at only 50F, and it runs only once and awhile. We have down to -40F here, and keeping the garage like a sauna would be expensive. When working in the garage in winter, I dress for the weather, and have a winter hat and coveralls on. I often have to take the hat off while working, as I get too warm. My parts painting dries at this temperature, and I do no welding, which would need a warmer shop for good results.

Before I had this place, I had a small one-car garage to work in, insulated, but no heat. I would run the electric space heater in there for the hours that I was actually there, and the electric bill wasn't too bad.

Propane seems the way to go, and there are propane heaters out there that provide indirect heat. Some of the other propane burners are catalytic too, be sure to have a CO monitor on the wall if using temporary fuel heating.

I’ve had the kerosene & propane ‘salamander’ -units (what the jet-style are called in industry) - they both work great but the only time I’ve seen the kero ones in residential construction was for drying out a freshly dried-in house, and to dry plaster / sheetrock.

I prefer my convection “charcoal chimney” -style because it’s quiet, and 15mins from turning it on, you’re throttling it down or stopping it for periods.
But mine’s ~20” tall & IIRC was some 250K btu’s.

I’ve never had good luck with the thermostats - I kept popping the fire-eye in the salamander style, so I went with a ‘dumb’ chimney style. Less stuff to go wrong.

——You know you popped a fire-eye if a unit fires, runs a few seconds, then shuts off. It’ll repeat that cycle as long as you care to watch.
McMaster-Carr sells replacements for ~$30 depending on style, but no kidding - I went replaced my kero 2x & the propane once, and Dad said he replaced one too - so we bought 4 fire-eyes total. ——

Hindsight, I’d buy a used chimney / no t-stat style from a garage sale - spend the savings on a CO meter.
You’ll still have $$ for a 6‘er of good stuff.

I was trained in the refineries, so seriously - get a CO detector - mount it near the proximity of where you spend the most time in the shop.

HTH

Simple question, which style works better? I've heard from buddies that love both. Seems like the can would be more ambient heat and the torpedo would be directional, but any first hand use of one or the other people have preferred?

View attachment 2149288View attachment 2149289
I have the version on the right for a decent sized two car garage. It works great. I never have it set on anything but low, crack a window, and the garage is t-shirt warm in about 35-40 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom