Play Taps or Dig Deep (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so I need a little help...

I just purchased back my old 80 series (1995) from my son to help him out, as he transitions from the Army to college life. ($2000):beer:

When it got here (last weekend), I heard horrible sounds coming from the engine... :bang:

I took it over this morning to our local shop and they confirmed - "needs a new engine". :cry:

They will not do a rebuild do the massive amounts of labor (est. at $7-8K in just labor) needed and they just don't have the space to have it in their shop for that long, so they are recommending getting a newer engine and doing an engine swap ($3700 in just labor). The only local one has over 200k miles and is selling for $2400, with no warranty.

So, at best, I spend $7000 for an old engine and maybe not get more than 100K miles out of it OR I figure out how to break this down and maybe tear into it myself. NOTE: I have NEVER done this level of engine work and would still need to find a local machine shop to do all machining of heads and cylinders. :poop: At best here, I would be able to save myself a portion of the labor cost at the expense of my garage space and time.

Note that I have a 100 series and 200 series too, so owning it is a "luxury". This was to be a project truck, but I was not prepared for the "projects" to include ME rebuilding the engine on something that I could NEVER get the $$ back out of.

Yes, this would indeed need to be a labor of love.

So, yes, this is a venting of frustration and also a call for sanity as to what to do.

Note that the rest of the vehicle is in very good shape with the exception of replacement of leather. That part does not bother me, as I knew I needed to rebuild the seats anyways.

Yes, it has lockers - OEM.

Ideas? Suggestions? - Please note that I am NOT independently wealthy and will NOT be doing anything right away anyways... with that said, at least on a rebuild, I could take my time. That's a plus.:flipoff2:

You can pull the engine in a day bout 6 or 7 hrs and if not doing anything to the next engine drop it right back in in same time, so I'd say 3700 little pricey to just do straight swap

I had zero experience, jumped right in, and four months later the rebuild/refresh was done. I too utilized outside help for machining and the upper end refresh. The thing that shocks me was how undamaged things were inside the engine when I took it apart. The Factory Service Manual takes you literally through step by step on what to do. I would definitely tackle it again since it is my second car too. Specialty tools can be rented and the engine stand is cheap enough for a one-and-done scenario.

I had zero experience, jumped right in, and four months later the rebuild/refresh was done. I too utilized outside help for machining and the upper end refresh. The thing that shocks me was how undamaged things were inside the engine when I took it apart. The Factory Service Manual takes you literally through step by step on what to do. I would definitely tackle it again since it is my second car too. Specialty tools can be rented and the engine stand is cheap enough for a one-and-done scenario.
x2
If you lived closer to me, I'd take it off your hands; my youngest son will need an 80 in a couple of years.

That is great to know!!!

Question - Can I still source the parts and can you tell me about how much I should expect to spend if I go this route? (I know... it depends, but at least I want to go in with as much info as possible!)

@beno - Please PM regarding a parts list(s) and if 1) can we still get the necessary parts for a rebuild and 2) costs.

Oh, and knocking... so maybe a bent rod, but I am not completely sure, but I want to make sure that I can source parts before starting down this road. Oh, and it will be by no means something that I can just drop $5k on parts tomorrow to get this going... it will need to be over time, which makes me worries as well since the parts are no longer being manufacturered or am I just worrying too much???

Thanks much!

Jonathan

@half k cruiser has a good thread on his rebuild. I did mine with my kids helping (10 and 12 year old at the time).

FSM walks you through it. With the head work, all new gaskets, hoses, machine shop honing, cleaning, I had $1500 or so in it -- however, I changed out more than the basic stuff.

The question is if your noisy engine is a good candidate for rebuild.

You see many engines in the parting out threads going for about $1k. You might even call Slee as they do a conversion to V8 and sell off the old engine. The good news there is that you know the history of the engine.

Your looking at roughly 3500 bucks in parts if you rebuild everything on the engine using Toyota parts, head work anywhere from 400 to 700 depending on shop

@beno - Please PM regarding a parts list(s) and if 1) can we still get the necessary parts for a rebuild and 2) costs.

Oh, and knocking... so maybe a bent rod, but I am not completely sure, but I want to make sure that I can source parts before starting down this road. Oh, and it will be by no means something that I can just drop $5k on parts tomorrow to get this going... it will need to be over time, which makes me worries as well since the parts are no longer being manufacturered or am I just worrying too much???

Thanks much!

Jonathan
FWIW, Onur's moving to CO. Try calling him: Contact

Your looking at roughly 3500 bucks in parts if you rebuild everything on the engine using Toyota parts, head work anywhere from 400 to 700 depending on shop

Thank you!!! That is at least a starting point conversation wise with my wife...

Lc engineering makes a kit too way cheaper with tawain parts, I'd at least do yota head gasket though and most the seals

I can't comment to what path to take (sell 'as is', repair, door 3?) -

But a 1FZ-FE is a VERY well indexed motor, so if you choose to get into wrenching on a motor, this is a excellent motor to learn on.

And the FSM really walks you through it well, beyond that this forum can answer darn near any question you could have.

Really, I was amazed when I pulled the head (haven't had to do lower work on any ones I own/ed) - but this beats both BMW & VW motors, Hondas, even Chev V8's as a "my 1st motor" to work on. I've worked all those & the I6 Toyota is just a great place to start. HTH.

I continue to use @beno for parts. He has moved to the left coast so it may take a short period of time to get his shop back up and running. He is incredible to deal with and a wealth of knowledge. Find a local toyota mechanic, not a TECHNICIAN. Nothing wrong with a tech, I just have an affinity for the crusty guys who have been there and done that more than a dozen times. Offer brownies and money for guidance and help. I spent around $2800 on parts and another $350 on machining and things I didn't want to tackle on my own. If it's rubber, replace it.

I read the Factory Service Manual from front to back a couple times. Search on MUD is also a great way to find things. Most members are using Google to search MUD with better luck than Mud alone. And as you already know, this forum is a great place to find answers Land Cruiser related.

And no matter how rushed you feel, take your time to put the electrical wiring back on the engine and transmission before you stuff it back into the truck........trust me on that one.

It's not a terribly difficult thing to do if you enjoy that sort of thing. It's somewhat time consuming though. As a hobby/labor of love it's fun and rewarding every time you drive it. The estimates for parts you are getting here are right on. I've got a rebuild thread you can check out if you like as well. Mine was one where the internals turned out not so great condition and it had to be bored and get new pistons as well. I also wanted to make sure the other ancillary systems (injectors, hoses, pumps, seals, etc...) were addressed as well because I wanted a reliable daily driver. My rebuild thread is in my Sig.

You paid $2000 for it, its triple locked, and you say it's in great shape?
You WILL get your $$$ back out of it! Figure $2000 for car, say $2500 for you to rebuild and reinstall. That's $4500 you have into a vehicle that could probably sell for $7000. (Starting price)
Go for it...... you can't lose!

That sounds super steep. Is this counting all new rotating assembly or something ?

This thread may be helpful. I think I spent $2200 and that including buying things like an engine hoist and stand, plus all machine work. My Head gasket , engine rebuild , cost breakdown

Ok guys this is going to be a top and bottom rebuild. Most probable is a spun bearing but it could be a bent rod. I'll be pulling the oil pan in the coming weeks, as I'm booked this week and next. Starting to research parts now for a whole rebuild, not just a head gasket replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom