rebuild or replacement 1fzfe (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was able to purchase a 1993 fzj80 triple locked with small crash damage. The engine at the time sounded good but I had oil light on, after some research I found out oil light is very common issue and I may not need to concern myself to much if everything else checks out. Well it did... at the time. I decided to change the oil switch and oil but no fix. I inspected the oil and noticed what may be bearing material and than a sudden knock start coming from the engine. Oil also smelled like gas but it could be from sitting so long, and no smoke. Soo I assume I spun a bearing in one of the rear cylinders. I'm a bit tight on budget so I wanted to have some input. Would you guys recommend I rebuild the engine or buy a cheap replacement? If I get a replacement I do plan on rebuilding the engine down the road. I'm new to land cruisers so don't know much on them. any input is appreciated, thank you.

First of congrats! There is nothing cheep about owning these rigs, maybe give us some more info mileage, what oil light?, do you know what bearing material looks like? Did you try to use a magnet to see if it picks it up? How loud is the knock? Was the truck sitting for a long time since being ran? If you end up buying a cheep motor $2000+ usually for a good running 1fzfe. The time would be now to replace head gasket and inspect the bottom end. No reason to do it twice unless you don’t have the funds and that would be a good indicator that a 30 year old truck might not be the best financial choice. Share some pictures so we know what you’re working with!

First of congrats! There is nothing cheep about owning these rigs, maybe give us some more info mileage, what oil light?, do you know what bearing material looks like? Did you try to use a magnet to see if it picks it up? How loud is the knock? Was the truck sitting for a long time since being ran? If you end up buying a cheep motor $2000+ usually for a good running 1fzfe. The time would be now to replace head gasket and inspect the bottom end. No reason to do it twice unless you don’t have the funds and that would be a good indicator that a 30 year old truck might not be the best financial choice. Share some pictures so we know what you’re working with!
Thank you! It has 207k on the odometer and but Carfax says 200-350k (salvaged title). The oil level and oil pressure light are on. The material looked flaky and brass colored (I've seen this in other engines and it looked similar) I'm no stranger to old cars. I had been eyeing a 4runner or land cruiser for some time but I was in no hurry to purchase one. I have all the tools to get the job done and was thinking of rebuilding it myself since its something I've always wanted to do. I was actually searching for a replacement engine for my Honda s2000 and I saw this on market place and decided to go check it out. After talking the guy down to 3k I decided to get it (figured that selling the lockers would make my money back). The engine sounded fine while I was checking it out and only started knocking the next day. oil levels were good. (I'm certain the seller knew) but oh well. Its a California truck so absolutely no rust, rear quarter panel is badly damaged but chassis is straight. I just wanted to get the truck up and running reliably before February since I decided to finally finish my AA/AS and I wont have much time to work on it. But as you mentioned, "There is nothing cheap about owning these rigs". So I might just take it slow and rebuild my engine.
The transmission seemed to run good, how many miles until you consider rebuilding it? ill take more pictures when I get a chance!
image0 (1).jpeg

sound of the engine running, please ignore parrots screaming at the end lol

Thank you! It has 207k on the odometer and but Carfax says 200-350k (salvaged title). The oil level and oil pressure light are on. The material looked flaky and brass colored (I've seen this in other engines and it looked similar) I'm no stranger to old cars. I had been eyeing a 4runner or land cruiser for some time but I was in no hurry to purchase one. I have all the tools to get the job done and was thinking of rebuilding it myself since its something I've always wanted to do. I was actually searching for a replacement engine for my Honda s2000 and I saw this on market place and decided to go check it out. After talking the guy down to 3k I decided to get it (figured that selling the lockers would make my money back). The engine sounded fine while I was checking it out and only started knocking the next day. oil levels were good. (I'm certain the seller knew) but oh well. Its a California truck so absolutely no rust, rear quarter panel is badly damaged but chassis is straight. I just wanted to get the truck up and running reliably before February since I decided to finally finish my AA/AS and I wont have much time to work on it. But as you mentioned, "There is nothing cheap about owning these rigs". So I might just take it slow and rebuild my engine.
The transmission seemed to run good, how many miles until you consider rebuilding it? ill take more pictures when I get a chance!View attachment 3493180
You can get a section of a rear quarter from @arcteryx (TX) or @slow95z (GA) when he gets back in the swing of things. It may be a bit, his wife recently passed.

You can also buy a new (yes, new) short block then install your head and accessories on it. It may prove less expensive than rebuilding existing parts. @Fj80oregon knows because he rebuilds lots of this engine.

The transmission on the 93-94 is known as the bus transmission. Very heavy duty and long lasting. Rebuilds not frequent.

Rebuild 1fz-fe + short on cash = does not compute!

If you're short on cash, buy a running replacement.

You could swap in a cheap replacement in less time than you can put together a parts list for a rebuild

Tear down the original engine and rebuild at your leisure for the future if you can scrape up the funds

Rebuild 1fz-fe + short on cash = does not compute!

If you're short on cash, buy a running replacement.

You could swap in a cheap replacement in less time than you can put together a parts list for a rebuild

Tear down the original engine and rebuild at your leisure for the future if you can scrape up the funds
Yes that’s what was thinking. I’m on a budget at the moment since I already have another project on my hands. But woudl
Love to be able to have this thing up and running as soon as possible. What is a fair price for one of these engines?

Where are you located? I have two running obd1 engines and a quarter panel already cut off and ready to go.
I’m in Southern California. What do these engines typically go for ? I found one on market place for 400 running with transmission and transfer case but it’s 6 hours away 230k+ miles. Would buy it but 12 hour drive both ways seems like a lot.

If you are not a OEM purist just buy a decent engine rebuild kit, pull the engine and drop it off at a machine shop or engine rebuilder. Labour varies wildly depending on area but probably 2-3K assembled ready to go. OEM Toyota parts are obviously better and I would personally use them but if the machining and assembly is properly done it will last a long time with aftermarket parts.

Depending on what part of so cal you live in, finding a good machine shop is going to be difficult. The few that are left run 3-6 months behind. I live in Ontario. If your near me at all, Valley Head will give you a good turn around on that. Engine wise, all the good shops I know of around me are gone as of last year. Don't know about the ones outside my area. @Deathvalleypaul is up near Pasadena and may have something used.

I’m in Southern California. What do these engines typically go for ? I found one on market place for 400 running with transmission and transfer case but it’s 6 hours away 230k+ miles. Would buy it but 12 hour drive both ways seems like a lot.
Why did he pull it out?

That sounds reasonable, especially if it comes with T/TC. Still worth the drive if it was operable and running with good oil pressure and is not in need of valve seals, all oil seals, and injectors, etc. Especially if he can provide you with a video of it running.

I use Simon in Sun Valley. He is a master machinist with a large capable shop and does Land Cruiser engine rebuilds for many of the large engine resellers. Phone number is (818) 800-0070 He is a collector of 80 series himself. He has done some premium work for me at reasonable prices. Please tell him Deathvalleypaul recommended him.

400 is a steal, i would laugh at you if you offered me that. 1K or so depending on miles for engine and what all you want on it. trans about 200 bucks and thats mainly for the NSS and pan since those get messed up, dont care about the actual trans. tcase if it has the wiring and cdl motor would be like 400. if the engine has the wiring harness you are making out good. the 93-4 is discontinued and getting hard as hell to find.

400 is a steal, i would laugh at you if you offered me that. 1K or so depending on miles for engine and what all you want on it. trans about 200 bucks and thats mainly for the NSS and pan since those get messed up, dont care about the actual trans. tcase if it has the wiring and cdl motor would be like 400. if the engine has the wiring harness you are making out good. the 93-4 is discontinued and getting hard as hell to find.

yes thats why i jumped on it and brought the guy down to 400 but than i saw how far it was lol. I found a 95 with 170k miles, guy wants 1500 for the long block plus intake and exhaust. Id be open to purchasing from you but the freight shipping would be way to much. do you think 1500 for 170 is fair ?

Depending on what part of so cal you live in, finding a good machine shop is going to be difficult. The few that are left run 3-6 months behind. I live in Ontario. If your near me at all, Valley Head will give you a good turn around on that. Engine wise, all the good shops I know of around me are gone as of last year. Don't know about the ones outside my area. @Deathvalleypaul is up near Pasadena and may have something used.
Were actually neighbors, im in Mira Loma right of the 60/15 fwy. Ill try to find a cheap replacement for now than rebuild mine slowly after I finish my other project cars if not it can always wait, just really hoping to having it running sooner than later.

Buy the 400 one and sell the t case for 300 sounds like a good deal to me. Use the extra from not buying the local one and buy updated cooling components and getting the head rebuilt. Order your parts of partouq and drive it like a mad man! Then you know you’re good for a couple years, not a terrible idea to look at the bottom end bearings as they can wear and are easy to swap out if you have it in an engine stand. Or just run it it’s easy to start replacing stuff when it’s on a stand but that gets some expensive and sounds like you’re staying low budget on this round.

Were actually neighbors, im in Mira Loma right of the 60/15 fwy. Ill try to find a cheap replacement for now than rebuild mine slowly after I finish my other project cars if not it can always wait, just really hoping to having it running sooner than later.

Ahh, your just down from me. The biggest issue I had with mine was the head. It took five months. My buddy just got a new short block from Toyota and he had the head done at Valley Head. I think it was less then two weeks. When it comes to local dealers, order online from Longo and pick it up, save the shipping cost. Their online prices rival the better ones and if its expensive to ship, you just drive over there and grab it. Their parts are open on Saturday.
My dealer parts are either McGeorge, Longo or PartSouq.

Ahh, your just down from me. The biggest issue I had with mine was the head. It took five months. My buddy just got a new short block from Toyota and he had the head done at Valley Head. I think it was less then two weeks. When it comes to local dealers, order online from Longo and pick it up, save the shipping cost. Their online prices rival the better ones and if its expensive to ship, you just drive over there and grab it. Their parts are open on Saturday.
My dealer parts are either McGeorge, Longo or PartSouq.
McGeorge (now Ourisman) is OUT for me. I just checked prices on a LONG list of parts I'm getting and literally everything is 2X partsouq.

McGeorge (now Ourisman) is OUT for me. I just checked prices on a LONG list of parts I'm getting and literally everything is 2X partsouq.
Yeah, the sale of McGeorge really bumped their pricing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom