Pin Striping - FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brooklyn

SILVER Star
Threads
1698793264976.png
1698793171988.png

Really think my FJ40 could benefit from some pin striping and like what @Fast Eddy did on his FJ40. Was wondering if anyone has done this recently and who are you using to do the work? Any "best" types of striping to apply? What art work do I supply or is it a conversation with the installer? Any other pictures of pin striping you have done on your FJ40? Lessons learned?

Last edited:
Unfortunately too far away - NYC area.

Going to be looking at pin striping solution I can apply - decal of some type. Adding this to my winter project list, which also includes updating the cabin of the FJ40 - floor mats, and dashboard painting & trying to go back to original (1967) gauge layout.

So my 84 is going in for paint soon and I’m doing stripes. The shop came up with a few options. Looking for views of the wise mud community. It’s going to be Buffalo Brown, which seems to be an official color for 1972 at least.

Buffalo_side_view_stripes_3-01.jpeg

Buffalo_side_view_stripes_1-01.jpeg

Buffalo_side_view_stripes_6-01.jpeg

Buffalo_side_view_stripes_2-01.jpeg

Rufus Stripe 1.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine is flat tan. I want to do the nose in "Flying Tiger" somehow. I like the nest to last, but you should have it your way.

Less more imho

I’d want something that looked period correct and original. If I did any, to would convince anyone looking at it that it was that way when it left the showroom floor.

Pic #2 is more consistent with what I found here ->. Striped 40? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/striped-40.167638/page-3

Here’s another thread on the topic ~> Show us your mad 70's body striping... - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/show-us-your-mad-70s-body-striping.495997/

The last thing I’d want on a 40 would be something that looked like it was designed in 2024 rather than 1974

Thx, agree with all this. Not surprisingly, i went full “stripe nerd” trying to figure this out and collected representative samples from Mud and the inter-web. Collages attached.

View attachment 3588332

View attachment 3588333

View attachment 3588334
It always makes sense to plan things out, do your research, and get input from others before spending money. I've seen it so often where people spend money over and over again modifying things rather than just having a good plan to begin with.

@PiratelooksatFJ40 are these renderings of your design or someone else's? It's your rig, so it doesn't really matter what others think. Keep in mind what the stripes look like if you were to remove the top or doors.

@PiratelooksatFJ40 are these renderings of your design or someone else's? It's your rig, so it doesn't really matter what others think. Keep in mind what the stripes look like if you were to remove the top or doors.
1711129936372.png

X2

It's always important to consider how things will look in all possible configurations...

1711130092703.png

Not a 40, but for dramatic purposes... :D

@pb4ugo - thanks, and totally agreed. It's a tough decision and ultimately i will make it. I've been thinking a lot about what it will look like with the top off (which is why i don't want anything that wraps around the back of the rig). I always find feedback helpful and i was as much seeking opinions on which ones are really bad as i was on the ones people like. Personally i like 6, 2 and 3 the most. 1 and 4 are interesting and i wasn't expecting those. And there are elements from the market examples that are intriguing as well. The mock-ups were done by the paint shop to show a few options (there were a few i really don't like and did not include those here). Am thinking of having them do another draft or two, perhaps incorporating bits from the OEM version

Black 1.PNG

and the brown one with "TOYOTA" in the middle of the horizontal stripe.
Brown 5.jpg

I'm also very much torn on whether to do something on top of the hood vs just down the side of it. I don't have big enough stones to put the panther on the hood, as cool as that might be. Is there an FJ40 analogue of the Screaming Chicken out there that I haven't unearthed yet :)
Blue 2.jpg
Screaming Chicken.jpg

IMG_8557.jpeg
IMG_8749.jpeg
IMG_8752.jpeg
IMG_8753.jpeg
To be honest, the thing that turns me off in your initial renderings, is the expected red/orange/yellow. It’s what you see on 1/3 of the 4Runners running around.

I don’t mind that on modern cars as it’s a nod to the core brand and to yesteryear, but I appreciate something unique to the vehicle and not brand regurgitation (sounds harsh but 🤷🏽).

I also think something with some shape/curve to it would suit the rounded box we all all love.

Above are some remnants of the pinstripes on my 40 I shot for future reference. I like the subtle nature and the play on color.

Large and bold can be successful too, but I personally think, color way aside, that they are too ridged.

View attachment 3588770View attachment 3588771View attachment 3588772View attachment 3588773To be honest, the thing that turns me off in your initial renderings, is the expected red/orange/yellow. It’s what you see on 1/3 of the 4Runners running around.

I don’t mind that on modern cars as it’s a nod to the core brand and to yesteryear, but I appreciate something unique to the vehicle and not brand regurgitation (sounds harsh but 🤷🏽).

I also think something with some shape/curve to it would suit the rounded box we all all love.

Above are some remnants of the pinstripes on my 40 I shot for future reference. I like the subtle nature and the play on color.

Large and bold can be successful too, but I personally think, color way aside, that they are too ridged.
I’m sure whatever you do will be great and you’ll know when you see it.

The real tell will be if it is good enough to paint on rather than vinyl on.

I’m sure whatever you do will be great and you’ll know when you see it.

The real tell will be if it is good enough to paint on rather than vinyl on.
100% doing paint, and your first question / observation is a great one, and something that I probably haven't adequately considered, so thank you for that. I am definitely biased towards simple and vintage, but the R/O/Y combo wasn't really there 'back then' as you note. Will ruminate on that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom