Picked up the 45 today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 45 lwb resurrection

I took the ride today and picked up the 45, It is a frankencruiser right now on a79 40 frame begging to be put back on it's 45 frame.Hopefully in the next year I will be able to do it. There is a bunch of work ahead and I hope that you guys can steer me in the right direction. Here are some pics.

The original blue cowl 45 cowl with the right windshield frame is on it for the hold downs is on the back.
fj45 new 018.jpg
fj45 new 022.jpg
fj45 new 021.jpg

Last edited:
So I was looking at the 45 frame after I got it home and I see that it is 2 pieces. I am thinking that a 40 frame can be grafted on and the end lenghtened to work. The last pic is the frame where it was repaired at one time.
fj45 new 008.jpg
fj45 new 007.jpg
fj45 new 010.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool! It's gonna be a lot of work but it'll be worth it in the end.

-Daniel

Sent from deep in the mountains of Honduras using only sticks and rocks.

Anyway I am looking at the frame spec sheet and it looks like the top line of the center of the frame goes right thru the rear spring hanger eye. So it seems if I line up the new frame section with the top of the frame line I should be able to line everything up.
223Frame8-3 fj 45.jpg

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, like I've ever seen a real fj45 frame, the frame you have from the fj45 looks to be a fj40 frame that was extended. Also will you give me the link for the frame repair picures you found? Oh, I didn't know the cowl was differant between the 40 & the 45. The cab pictures you have do look abit differant because of this? I've thought about making a 45 frame from a 40 frame but havn't persued it. Your ressurection has got me excited. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Dan

Correct me if I'm wrong, like I've ever seen a real fj45 frame, the frame you have from the fj45 looks to be a fj40 frame that was extended. Also will you give me the link for the frame repair picures you found? Oh, I didn't know the cowl was differant between the 40 & the 45. The cab pictures you have do look abit differant because of this? I've thought about making a 45 frame from a 40 frame but havn't persued it. Your ressurection has got me excited. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Dan

Dan the frame that the body is on now is a forty frame. The frame that was repaired (if you can call it that) is a 45 frame the vin is on the frame. Yes you can stretch a forty to make a 45 you have to add to the center and to the end.

looks like its time to change you user name > fj45moneypit < LOL

Yea try to do it. No changing user names on mud.

It will be a project thats true but around here 45s are never seen, and is is cheaper to ship from Cali to CT. than to buy parts for 45s around the northeast.

Anyway This 45 will get a 5.3 gm and auto with a splitcase and spring over fj60 steering box. The springs will get sandblasted and painted and put back together. I have a pair of 80 forty axles that will be used. So I have a plan. Oh yea and I am getting a bed!

Last edited:
Yea try to do it. No changing user names on mud.

It will be a project thats true but around here 45s are never seen, and is is cheaper to ship from Cali to CT. than to buy parts for 45s around the northeast.

Anyway This 45 will get a 5.3 gm and auto with a splitcase and spring over fj60 steering box. The springs will get sandblasted and painted and put back together. I have a pair of 80 forty axles that will be used. So I have a plan. Oh yea and I am getting a bed!

sound like you have a good plan there.....but how about a surplus hummer H1 diesel...theres alot of them floating around since they did a repower program a couple yrs ago...same foot print as a 350...then slap a NV4500 behind it and....opps sorry for daydreaming on your thread...
Keep us posted..........

I know about 6.5 diesels they are boat anchors,heavy under powerd the cranks break, the cylinders are thin no 7 cylinder can crack the main bearing web is weak, I threw 3 rods in a 6.5 when the web cracked crank broke blew the side of the block out. The next one broke the crank also The one after that kept cracking cylinder heads under warranty. The one have now in my 14' box truck but it is the aftermarket high nickel block,hummer turbo,marine injectors, cranked pump, stud and girdle kit on the mains, head studs, dual thermostats. All that said it is still a pig.

Last edited:
I know about 6.5 diesels are boat anchors,heavy under powerd the cranks break, the cylinders are thin no 7 cylinder can crack the main bearing web is weak, I threw 3 rods in a 6.5 when the web cracked crank broke blew the side of the block out. The next one broke the crank also The one after that kept cracking cylinder heads under warranty. The one have now in my 14' box truck but it is the aftermarket high nickel block,hummer turbo,marine injectors, cranked pump, stud and girdle kit on the mains, head studs, dual thermostats. All that said it is still a pig.

Cummins , the only way to go.....:bounce:

I know about 6.5 diesels are boat anchors,

I was actually thinking 6.3 heard they were a better motor.. there only running 400-1k have a buddy that got one with a turbo....he's been trying to blow it up for a couple years now...without much luck

Oh well just my 2c

Got a little time in today on the 45 parts, I started to take apart the cowl pulled the windshield frame off and as expected there was some rust/rot under the hinges and the captured bar for the hinge screws came loose. So cut out the rot and made a new strap to hold the bar back in place,made a piece and welded it back together.I had drilled a hole threw the the new piece to plug weld the strap up.

Also I pulled the top off the 45 and the doors,and 74 windshield frame.
windshield frame 005.jpg

I was actually thinking 6.3 heard they were a better motor..

Just barely 6.2 diesel, They started on the right track,early 6.2 had high nickle blocks and then....the gm penny counters got ahold of the specs and tried to save money,"acceptable faliure rate" was the GM memo. GM seems to like to shoot themselfs in the foot. My engine was replaced by gm free! Then blew up right up just out of warranty.

Just because it burns oil doesn't make it good. There are plenty of crappy deisels out there. The 6.2 and 6.5 are pretty high up that list.

I put a 6.2 in a 60. It was a lot like a Harley Davidson. Sounded cool. Shook like crazy at idle. Leaked oil. Made a lot of noise, but didn't really go anywhere. Occasionally just wouldn't go at all. GM must have got engineering help from Milwaukee when they made that thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom