Picked up the 45 today (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Today I put some time in on the 45, I released the 65 rear cab from it's bondage on the 79 floor and cowl and got it off the 40 frame.
It will take a bunch of work to get the lower section back to being happy it is a bondoed mess, I was trying to cut out all the all the welded in metal with the sawall but I could not get thru some of the thicker steel that was welded in, So out came the smoke wrench (I love the smell of burning bondo)I cut out a bunch of chunks of steel. So I have to take the sheet metal off the back and get new corners rolled.

where did you end up getting a new 45 bed from

Well I spent 4 hours today on the dissasembly of the frankencruiser pulled the engine (seized tight) put the trans tranfercase away for a later date. I steamed cleaned the frame, axles,knuckles got into all the frame seams blew all the crap out of the inner frame rails. cut off all the ubolts pulled the axles,springs and stashed the axles for later.
The 79-40 frame is pretty clean compared to the 78 frame I was thinking of using for the rear section. If I can't find a frame I may use this one for the rear section. Nothing set in stone yet but if I find a decent 45 frame I will go for that and save a bunch of work.
45 body 007.jpg
45 body 008.jpg
45 body 005.jpg

Last edited:
Pics or it didn't happen :D

-Daniel

Sent from deep in the mountains of Honduras using only sticks and rocks.

cuttin up

This morning I had a little time 2.5 hours to work on the 45, So I thought I would try the new plasma cutter to cut all the welded on metal that the po put on, if you are shy or squeamish you may not want to look at these pics.

Did I say I cant take good pics! I'll try to do better
45 body 006.jpg
45 body 003.jpg
45 body 002.jpg

Wow...that's a lot of cutting! :eek:

-Daniel

Sent from deep in the mountains of Honduras using only sticks and rocks.

You said it, first time using the plasma cutter, I had to get used to it plus there were areas with 1/2 thick,1/4 thick steel and then to straight sheet metal,bondo,seam sealer so I had a good time.

Hey I'll measure mine out for you in a little bit and send you the measurements when I get back

Hey I'll check again tomorrow but I believe the sides were 25 1/4 and the back was 21

Trying to figure the rear cab panel I can't buy one with the 4 embossed areas in it. I am thinking a bead roller to make the design in the back panel. Not a bead but a step not as deep as the original but it should work.

Also the box behind the seats that attaches to the rar of the cab and to the 3 braces,how far does that come out?

I see that the front half of the tub is a '79+ model with the raised seat section. Just wondering if you were going to keep that raised section and graph onto it, or remove the entire floor and replace with a flat one like an early 45?

The 79 was on the 65 rear section, I took the 79 off and am putting back on the 65 front, what do you need off it. I didn't cut it with saving it in mind.I am going to buy a complete floor for it,I like the ccot floor it has the rear cab mounts on it already but 1400.!! is a killer plus shipping.

Last edited:
The 79 was on the 65 rear section, I took the 79 off and am putting back on the 65 front what do you need off it. I didn't cut it with saving it in mind.I am going to buy a complete floor for it,I like the ccot floor it has the rear cab mounts on it already but 1400.!! is a killer plus shipping.

Oh ok. So you are rebuilding the early style cab, floor, etc.

I don't need any parts, I was just curious what your plan was. I didn't understand what you were doing with all the pieces.

U are using the newer firewall and steering ? Otherwise u lose power brake mounts etc. Or graft them in like i did to keep the old dash.

Sent from my phone using IH8MUD

mine is a removable top long bed pickup 1965.
-height of back wall, top to floor as you show in your picture is 21"
-height of corner is 25" (I've cut mine, but saved the cut off part, so I measured and included the cut off as well. I'm pretty confident that 25" is within 1/4" of being correct.)

I removed that support section at the lower inside back of cab so I cannot provide that, but I recall from memory that it is close to 5" front to back. Mine was exactly 4 3/4" tall (saved this piece so l have this piece to measure) but that includes a 3/4" vertical lip that attaches to the top piece of that rear cab lower support box or 'shelf' as some call it.

I have some pieces from mine that you might be able to use, if you are looking for any pieces to put yours back together.

I'll try to get a diagram up later of my measurements when I have more time. As well I'll get some pics of the pieces I have if they might be useful to you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom