Pertronix conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

T

tnt40

Who has done this conversion and what potential problems could you encounter.

I've only heard good things about it, but I've also heard that it won't fit all years. According to the paperwork, it won't fit my '77. So, just make sure that it will fit your year.

SOR sells an electronic ignition kit for $145.... Summit sells what appears to be the same thing for $89. (http://store.summitracing.com/defau...&type=bykeyword&searchtype=both&part=fireball) .

I've actually been looking at the Crane 3000 from Summit, which is $125 or so... but doesnt require a ballast resistor, and is supposed to be higher output. Anyone heard anything about these?

-Anthro

I think the Pertonics only fits 74 and before(also will git non US dizzy, but all that is is a 67 and earlier US dizzy), it won't fit my 75.

It does a good Job in my Cruiser......its a 1977 but.....a German 77!

Drum Brakes in the Front,3.7 Diffs, 2F Engine without the Smog-Spaghetti and a Distributor that advances instead of retarding.

I used Kit: 1665
Works without any Problems, very pleased with it !

If anything....make shure that you have the Toyota Number (Small Silver Sticker) that is on your Distributor, near when you Phone Pertronix.

I put one on my '76, the plate was shaped wrong for my distributor but the Dremel took care of that. Not much to them and they last forever. Keep your points, condenser, etc in a Ziplock in the toolbox just in case though.

So those of you who have used it, or something similar, where do you come down on whether it improves performance. MPG, etc.

I didnt notice any real "performance" gains, but I get great spark delivery, it will pretty much run underwater, no more clouded points, and its pretty much maintanence free after install. Im running mine in a non-USA dizzy with a high output coil, and I love it. I did get a slight increase in gas mileage, but running 34" tires w/ a weber and a cam, its impossible to know what is effecting the mileage!

Mike

my Petronix smothed my idle out considerably. Throttle response seems better, and higher RPM seems smother. Maybe my points werent adjusted right, but I messed around with adjusting them for ever and got tired of it. Bought the kit, installed it in 15 minutes and done! Too easy...

If I had it to do again though, I'd swap a later model LC ignition. Better distributor build, and HEI style voltage.

If you want to use it on a post 74 rig, i.e.. say a 76 or 78, just use a pre 74 distributor. Did that on my 75 fj55 and ran it for a couple of years before I started putting a V8 in it 2 years ago. :p

Does anyone know of a site that I can understand the instructions of the ignitor series for my 09/74 fj40??? I just got mine and i'm having trouble to the point that I wanna shoot the darn thing. Thanks all!

Has anyone run one of these w/a MSD box?

Thanks,
manny

Bad Religion , This is always a popular topic. Maybe a good candidate topic of the week.

There are good links in the FAQ part of this forum if you guys have not checked them out

Ken

I am running the pertronix with a Non US Dizzy, and an MSD box. No problems at all. I think the spark also helped lean out the notoriously rich running weber 38 as well, but it could have been the fuel pressure regulator too. Would I recommend the Pertronix? Yes, especially to anyone that doesn't understand how to teak Dell angle and points gap (ME). You still have to keep in mind the F/2F is still an anchor, so performance/power is difficult to obtain. Efficiency on the other hand, that fits with the design of the pertronix.

i bought this: http://www.tpi4x4.com/lcdist1_1.html
thinking i could use it on the 60, but from what i've heard the oem 60(87) stuff is pretty good right the git go.

so how does this stuff compare to an HEI.if it's even about the same i'll put it in the 77 and get rid of that chevy stuff :flipoff2:

That add says in plenty of places non usa distributor. Are all the FJ40 distributors, non USA? I thought that was the label given parts made for use in other countries that don't have some of the laws and regs we do.

I run the Pertronix in my 65lwb. For comparison, I was disappointed to discover that the trigger mechanism has a preset time for coil build up that is based on a V-8 platform. Those of you who have set dwell at the specified 38 to 41 degrees understand that this is the amount of time the coil has to build voltage: more time = more voltage. Pertronix is preset at 25 degrees. A blurb to this effect @ http://www.marksoffroad.net/FAQ.html

the Non US dizzy you see advertised is also a US dizzy, early cruisers up to 67?(66) used the same unit. In alot of other countries the Non US dizzy was still used, even up to 1992(fj62 SA spec)

[quote author=Romer link=board=1;threadid=10372;start=msg140971#msg140971 date=1082254212]
That add says in plenty of places non usa distributor. Are all the FJ40 distributors, non USA? I thought that was the label given parts made for use in other countries that don't have some of the laws and regs we do.
[/quote]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom