permanently installed air compressor(s) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I run a Puma with the tank. I can't understand why some remove the tank when the only reason that makes sense is for room. And then a lot of these Puma users that "conserve" room by removing the tank, carry their spare tire inside.:hmm: Some even have a custom rack that holds both the spare and the Puma. For me, the advantages of a tank, even without air lockers, far out weigh the disadvantages. My Puma is mounted in the back, on the same tray that my fridge is on. Works for me for airing up tires and other purposes while leaving room inside my 80.

This pic shows both fridge and Puma placement before Delta attic and RH shelf:
IMG_1333a.JPG
This is after Delta installed, but with fridge removed:
IMG_1582a.JPG

Converted my AC compressor to an air compressor since I never used my AC. It’s faster than any of the compressors shown on this thread except maybe ties with the York.
Bonus points — no weird installation necessary. AC compressor is already installed.
I wish I had converted it decades ago .
Is there a thread?

I run a Puma with the tank. I can't understand why some remove the tank when the only reason that makes sense is for room. And then a lot of these Puma users that "conserve" room by removing the tank, carry their spare tire inside.:hmm: Some even have a custom rack that holds both the spare and the Puma. For me, the advantages of a tank, even without air lockers, far out weigh the disadvantages. My Puma is mounted in the back, on the same tray that my fridge is on. Works for me for airing up tires and other purposes while leaving room inside my 80.

This pic shows both fridge and Puma placement before Delta attic and RH shelf:
View attachment 3217333 This is after Delta installed, but with fridge removed:
View attachment 3217334
Because people are different.
I like my 80 to be as light as possible.
I don’t want anything on the out side or under the rig to get hung up on rocks or other trail obstacles.
The puma inflates tires faster with out any extra fittings pressure regulator or tank and fits nicely in the rear quarter panel.
I don’t carry air tools on the trail, have E lockers so the only advantage to the tank is to seat a tire. 😎

I use my ABR sidewinder unit often as at home I have the 80 and some Euro cars and no industrial compressor within easy access except an old Peerless brand one right at the back of the house which requires a very long hose to get to the vehicles, so the one in the 80 is perfect as I use a Nitto coiled hose with another short non-coiled to reach all the wheels of the 4wd and cars and my trailer to maintain the pressures.

Hmmm, re-mounted it and connected power and it's not running. I get DC to the main power terminals through my isolator switch. Either I re-connected a solenoid wire to the wrong spot or the pressure switch or solenoid have decided to go on permanent holiday. Can get replacements fairly easily I think.

Yes that's my finger :cool:

Last edited:
IIRC, there's at least one rig on here with things tucked inside the front bumper.

Nah, I have a '94 that used to have a PAIR on it and it was not fanbelt driven. If the PAIR was in the way of the York, that would explain it. Thanks, Ali! That helps explain it.

The York in that picture is installed right where the PAIR valve is on 93/94 80 series. That is the potential problem for those who want to install a York on those vehicles. Personally, I have hope that this potential problem can solved by stenciling "P.A.I.R" on the York. It is a Powered Air-Intensifying Reciprocator after all.

Last edited:
Because people are different.
I like my 80 to be as light as possible.
I don’t want anything on the out side or under the rig to get hung up on rocks or other trail obstacles.
The puma inflates tires faster with out any extra fittings pressure regulator or tank and fits nicely in the rear quarter panel.
I don’t carry air tools on the trail, have E lockers so the only advantage to the tank is to seat a tire. 😎
There are some of us that use an air compressor for more than just airing up tires on a trail. Having the 12V Puma, makes a very reliable, capable and portable air compressor. And with the tank, there's just an infinite amount of uses in many environments that it works just fine - away from the shop or off grid. Granted, it doesn't have the capacity that my 120V garage compressor has, but it has to be in the top 5 for a portable air compressor, IMHO. Way better than some of the junk, cig. lighter powered compressors that I used to use. Don't get me wrong, I can see your strategy and if money was no object, I might have another built 80 like yours just for trail use.

There are some of us that use an air compressor for more than just airing up tires on a trail. Having the 12V Puma, makes a very reliable, capable and portable air compressor. And with the tank, there's just an infinite amount of uses in many environments that it works just fine - away from the shop or off grid. Granted, it doesn't have the capacity that my 120V garage compressor has, but it has to be in the top 5 for a portable air compressor, IMHO. Way better than some of the junk, cig. lighter powered compressors that I used to use. Don't get me wrong, I can see your strategy and if money was no object, I might have another built 80 like yours just for trail use.
You said you did not understand why some people removed the tank 🤔
I was just pointing out some of the reasons. :cool:
I get it. That's why I said people are different, there are many different ways to use a compressor !!
And I agree the Puma is a reliable, capable and affordable compressor at a fraction of the cost of a York !

Cheers :)
PS if money were no object I would have a fleet of Cruisers and a Buggy ;)

I run a plumbed in system on my 80, Boss Pro Kit 5 as per pics. Mounted compressor on inner wing (charcoal canister gone) and the 5 gallon alloy tank under passenger floor. I piped 1 outlet each side under the runners. Have a short section hose to pump up the 33” tyres.
Works sweet for me after beach runs.
Pressure cut out switch clicks off at 130psi.
Don’t have a pic of the tank under the floor, but can snap one if you wish?

8CBAA34F-E640-4CF6-82F2-4ECE0386BC92.jpeg

B957EA18-2258-4376-9208-BBF3211EC777.jpeg

7B502F70-0F0D-4662-A5CA-44A9EC3B45A6.png

Does anyone use a moisture trap with whatever permanently-mounted air compressor setup they've got? Many industrial air compressor setups (such as those on locomotives except older ones) have a moisture trap/seperator, but they don't seem to feature on the sort of compressor setups used on non-truck vehicles.

Does anyone use a moisture trap with whatever permanently-mounted air compressor setup they've got? Many industrial air compressor setups (such as those on locomotives except older ones) have a moisture trap/seperator, but they don't seem to feature on the sort of compressor setups used on non-truck vehicles.
20220215_143244.jpg

Yup. I have the one optioned from wits end.

Yes. I have an off the shelf coalescing filter before the regulator. Any setup with a York compressor should have one, as the York output contains oil.

Is there a thread?
I didn’t do a write up of converting the stock AC compressor to an air compressor because it’s very straight forward.
Compressor needs a drip oiler on its intake that you can get at any air compressor shop and it needs a moisture/oil separator on its output to strip out the oil that gets blown by. Get that at the same place too. Common items.

Interesting. the ABR Sidewinder is an oiled compressor (unlike the Puma ones it's very similar too that are oil-less) but it doesn't have any sort of moisture trap/filter. As the pics I posted show it's just a tap and a nitto connection on the single output.

A couple of prior threads on this topic:

This is a long read Wits-End started in 2017. Lots of pictures about electrical set up, many with compressors/manifolds/tanks.
Discussion about proper grounding of high current items:
My setup in post #685

Looked at the wits end idea but not sure it works in all 80's both lhd and rhd, or in all rear configs both barn and hatch/gate, or in all option levels from basic to top spec.

I also don't feel comfortable having a device like a compressor mounted inside a concealed space, but for some people it's probably ideal.

Looked at the wits end idea but not sure it works in all 80's both lhd and rhd, or in all rear configs both barn and hatch/gate, or in all option levels from basic to top spec.

I also don't feel comfortable having a device like a compressor mounted inside a concealed space, but for some people it's probably ideal.
I went round on that in one of Joey's threads, concerned about the same thing--heat/toxin buildup in that enclosed space. Replies from Joey and others--and pix of all the heat-generating stuff some folks have crammed in there--have me fairly well convinced it's not an issue for anything that doesn't get REALLY hot. IIRC, that area is vented directly to the outside(?). That said, I'm not sure I'd want a compressor in there with a bunch of sensitive electronics...

Any air trap will work !!

Much better to have you compressor in a cool spot. There much more efficient pumping cool air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom