Builds Paul R's BJ73 (Milo) Restomod Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

paul r

SILVER Star
Threads
Since we are all still shut in, I figured I would give some updates on the newest addition to the stable.

It is a 1987 BJ73 from the the windshield registration and license plates it looks like it was a European spec truck from the Canary Islands, but I bought it off eBay so I don't know a ton about it other than it needs some love. I actually bought it last summer, but it has sat around in the garage since. It certainly isn't a clean one owner, but it isn't too crusty and since I bought it to use it, it is going to work just fine for me. After driving it around a bit I realized that a lot needed to change on it. The shocks were no good, suspension was too stiff, there really was not enough power to really move the vehicle around, and it had little bits and pieces missing.

IMG_3480.jpg

My goals are focused on power improvement, comfort, and reliability.

After purchasing a bunch of parts from @cruiseroutfit and @SteveJackson it is finally time to put them all in since I have been sitting on some of them for months. I was going to try to get a few things done before Cruise Moab, but since it isn't happening anymore, I have been using the extra time and social distancing to keep digging deeper. This self isolation deal has lended itself well to throwing it on the lift at the shop and going to town.

Work in progress includes:
  • Axle Upgrades
    • 4.88's and ARB lockers front and rear
    • Longfield shafts and Birfields up front
    • New Aisin Hubs and Trail Gear chromoly hub gears
    • Nitro chromoly shafts for the rear
    • Blast and powder coat or cadmium plate all existing hardware and parts
    • New wheel studs, knuckle studs, and hub studs
  • Brakes
    • Turn drums, new wheel cylinders, shoes and hardware,
    • New rotors, pads, and calipers
    • Replace some brake lines and add extended brake lines
    • New Master Cylinder, LSPV
  • Engine
    • Compression tested good
    • Refresh Cooling system - Flush coolant, replace water pump, heater hoses, radiator hoses, thermostat, radiator, fan, and fan clutch
    • Replace glow plugs
    • Rebuild Injectors
    • TD04 Turbo w/ Reveltronics gauges (Boost, EGT, Water Temp, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure)
    • Precups and head cracked - need to address
  • Transmission, Transfercase, Drive lines
    • New Clutch, new master and slave cylinders
    • Inspect Transmission and fix 5th gear issue
    • Add Toybox
    • Rebuild transfercase to fix leaks and minor issues
    • Extend front drive line, shorten rear drive line, balance, and replace all U-joints with Matsuba
  • Steering
    • Relocate Power Steering Pump
    • Rebuild Steering Gearbox tap for hydro assist
    • DOM tie rod and drag link with new all new 555 ends
    • Figure out hydro assist ram setup
  • Suspension
    • OME Suspension w/ new bushings and extended non-reversing shackles
    • Push front axle 30mm forward
    • 1/2" Body Lift
  • Blast, galvanize, and paint frame
  • Tearing out the interior to assess any rust situation. Overall, after chiseling out all of the sound deadening things weren't perfect, but better than I expected. I'll patch a couple small holes, weld up the crack by the seat mounts and then treat the floor before.
  • Replace seats
  • Update interior, replace misc seals get things in general working order
  • Run 35 or 37x12.5R17 tires and alloy bead lock wheels
Future wants/wishes:
  • Figure out Radio situation and 24V to 12V circuits add speakers all around
  • Install already purchased FTM-400XDR HAM Radio and aux speaker
  • Sliders and outer fender slider to bumper tube work
  • Interior Upholstery - Redo headliner, door cards, and maybe carpet kit?
  • Build up larger more functional center console
  • Cruiser Outfitters rear bumper
  • Change front bumper add 24V come up winch
  • Add aftermarket A/C

Last edited:
IMG_4563.jpg

How she sits right now.

IMG_4560.jpg

How to totally cheat when it comes to cleaning axles up.

IMG_4594.jpg

Started cleaning up the front axle housing by blasting it with walnut shell first and then clean up with a wire wheel after

IMG_4595.jpg

Polished up the knuckle balls with some emery cloth

IMG_4596.jpg

Sand blasted everything else

The rear axle will be next. Then I'll need to decide if I go with powder coat or paint for everything before assembly. I'm also trying to wire wheel the frame so I can treat and paint it before installing the OME springs.

Did you do any maintenance to the head, fuel delivery or the cooling system before slapping the turbo in?

I didn't do anything to the head yet, but your rebuild is convincing me I should do something. Any recommendations?

I plan on turning up the fuel a bit.

I am currently in the process of replacing almost all of the cooling package and upgrading the fan and fan fan clutch from a 13BT.

This is what the engine bay looks like right now.

IMG_4592.jpg

Cool Paul. I don't think there is anything necessarily that needs to be done to the head, pre-turbo. Depending on past usage, maintenance, and mileage, you might toast the HG or crack some pre-cups after forcing induction. The cooling system overhaul is a great first step. Valve adjustments are essential for this engine-- 10-15K miles consistently.

In terms of fuel: I'd have injectors at a minimum rebuilt with nozzles to accommodate fuel flow for a turbo. Ideally, IP should be rebuilt but not a necessity.

Cool projects. Looking forward to the outcomes.

But 13B-T has lover compression than 3B (17.6:1 and 20:1). Don't you afraid turbo kit may kill the engine soon?

But 13B-T has lover compression than 3B (17.6:1 and 20:1). Don't you afraid turbo kit may kill the engine soon?

Keeping the naturally aspirated 3B wasn't too appealing. I guess it is totally possible, but there are a number of individuals that seem to be very successfully running turbos on the 3B. I do not plan on pushing too much boost so hopefully it goes ok.

I am going to guess this is the one we talked about last fall?

Looks great and you are certainly going for it! LHD, oh ya. 👍

Cheers

Sure is. I wanted to link it and REALLY go for it but ended up sticking with the leafs for now per your recommendation among others. Maybe someday...

Goal is to get it usable for now. Needs more love than I originally suspected pretty much everywhere, but most of the big stuff are areas where I want to address for reliability sake and or usability.

I think I am almost to the point where everything I touch doesn't go five levels further.

Since the front axle housing already had some dings in it that I straightened out. I got some plate armor to weld on to protect the ring gears and drain plugs on the axles.

IMG_4643.jpg

Milled in some centering holes in the spring perches to push the front axle housing forward a touch. Was my first time messing around with the mill but probably not the last. I would normally just get as close as I could with a hand drill, but buddies at work helped me to throw it in the mill at lunch. It was cool to zero it in perfectly and know that it is as straight as the original holes. Everything is finally ready to drop off the axle housings and pieces for powder coating.

IMG_4636.jpg

Playing around with a taller shackle prototype. Need to dial it in a bit more but looking pretty good so far. I'm going to fit those 35"s yet.

This weekend I'll spend a bit more time wire wheeling on the frame and be about ready start the painting process. Goal is to have the frame all painted and engine finished by the time everything gets back from coating.

Last edited:
It has been a lot slower progress lately, but today was a big jump. After I spent a bit of time wire wheel prepping the frame, I realized that I was not going to be happy with the results and decided to split the frame off and get it professionally blasted and coated.

Took it off the lift and onto a trailer
IMG_5079.jpg

IMG_5092.jpg

IMG_5145.jpg

Took the dash out to prep the interior to get everything cleaned up.
IMG_5137.jpg

IMG_5144.jpg

Next up...
Send out the frame and dash for coating
Seriously thinking about sending it out for paint and body work. Debating between a cement gray (with white FRP) or white (as of right now, I'm leaning towards the white).
Get the axles assembled and get stuff ready to put back together

IMG_5197.jpg

IMG_5196.jpg

Then I started putting the rear brakes back together. It feels good to actually be putting something together rather than taking it apart. I bead blasted a bunch of misc hardware and parts and got them cadmium plated. I think they turned out great. Mixed with the @cruiseroutfit brake hardware kit and shoes and new wheel cylinders.

IMG_5199.jpg

Thought I might be able to get the axles all the way together this weekend, but since this is my first ARB install I am a bit tripped up on how to get the third member in without messing up the airline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom