paul dinapoli - H55 swap thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok gotcha. I ask because I've always had the idea that pre-welding the angle pieces to the frame before beginning the swap would make final bolt up really easy. And if the crossmember sat flush against the frame that would make setting the angle mounts super easy.
Given the slight tilt of the xmember involved, your method looks pretty sound letting the drivetrain dictate where it wants to be.

"And if the crossmember sat flush against the frame that would make setting the angle mounts super easy." <-- agreed - i was hoping for the same...

if i kept jacking up the xmember it would eventually sit flush at the rear (we're only talking a 1/2'' maybe) but the t-case did look too high at the back - and i assumed that might also make for less desirable rear prop shaft angle.

for comparison & confirmation i took the old crossmember for the automatic and held it up in place against the original welded cross member supports and that also sat slightly lower at the rear...so duplicated that on the new.

I’m guessing with the 3F bell housing, you are running a post 85’ clutch slave setup. If that’s the case, you want the throw out bearing to be in constant contact. The later slaves have an internal spring that pushes the slave rod out and keeps pressure on the throw out bearing to push against the clutch.

A pre 85’ setup, as mentioned above, was setup to where an external spring pulled the clutch fork back toward the slave and pulls the throw out bearing away from the clutch plate and there should be a slight gap.

An easy check would be to lightly press the clutch in just a bit when the noise is happening and see if it stops.

To Spin or Not To Spin...A Throwout Bearing Debate

thanks for sharing the link.

my bell housing/clutch slave is all post 85' so no adjustment at the fork end. I adjusted the clutch pedal freeplay ever so slightly - and no more noise. inspection cover is off for now - i'll give it till the weekend and this will be one more thing off the punch list!

finally got around to cutting the 4-Lo linkage rod since the length of the rod coming off the automatic is like 10 feet too long.
upload_2018-5-21_6-59-7.png

to keep the geometry essentially untouched - I followed @pismo62 lead doing this
Out with the Semi-Old A440-In with the H55 - took 4.5 inched out of the front section.

and with the help of my machinist friend...we made a sleeve out of stainless steel - dropped into the bridgeport mill - and drilled and inserted a pair of roll pins to lock it all together
upload_2018-5-21_7-2-44.png

upload_2018-5-21_7-2-57.png

however - going to install it - seems like it's still too long...and i think the difference is here:

the new:
upload_2018-5-21_7-4-24.png

the old:
upload_2018-5-21_7-5-3.png

I haven't taken a close look at the linkage on my truck yet, but I'm wondering if one could cut the proper length to accommodate the new trans and just cut new threads on the end of that linkage rod with the appropriate die?

Or cut the rod to the correct length and hotglue (MIG) back together.

yeah - it might have to come to that. my friend put some time into making that sleeve from raw stainless steel bar stock - and bought the little roll pins...i don't have the heart throw away that effort.

Nice! You're moving and driving.

Mine is still a bit notchy , especially going into 3rd. And it's in it's second FJ6x and likely 50k miles. It has been that way since it was new.

The seep of brake fluid at the slave is not a good thing. Get on that right away. It should be an easy fix.

Good work, and keep posting updates. I put mine together in about 2006 and it's been great. When it went from my FJ60 to FJ62 it really came into it's own.

:cheers:
Same here. About 52K on the H55, and its notchy into 3rd. Been that way since forever - no change for better or worse. Mine's mated to the 2F in my rig, so it's no land rocket, but on the highway with 33s, it's civilized.

subbed - nice build trhead!

@Mace @Rigger

This should really really be in the FAQ

Just sayin'.

yeah - it might have to come to that. my friend put some time into making that sleeve from raw stainless steel bar stock - and bought the little roll pins...i don't have the heart throw away that effort.
Paul great thread man. Very inspiring!! Wish I had the time and space to do this myself. How do you like the upgrade so far? I got an appointment set up with Josh to do mine in late February. Solid mechanic and really nice guy him and his dad. I think he said it would be around the same price you said. Anyways what year was yours? We should all meet up sometime in Portland for a drink. J

thanks man! a friend of mine helped me with a few steps of the project - he's a life long builder/tinkerer/welder/machinist. his interest gave me the confidence to take it on with his guidance...and it turned out to be not that hard.

And I'm super happy with it. it woke up the 3FE engine beyond my wildest expectations.

Josh is great...I chat with him a couple times / month. in fact my truck is going in for a few things this monday morning.

mine is a poverty package 88 FJ62. manual windows & locks.

we're way overdue for a portland area cruiser meet up...need someone to take the reins and get a list of folks and circulate an invite.

thanks man! a friend of mine helped me with a few steps of the project - he's a life long builder/tinkerer/welder/machinist. his interest gave me the confidence to take it on with his guidance...and it turned out to be not that hard.

And I'm super happy with it. it woke up the 3FE engine beyond my wildest expectations.

Josh is great...I chat with him a couple times / month. in fact my truck is going in for a few things this monday morning.

mine is a poverty package 88 FJ62. manual windows & locks.

we're way overdue for a portland area cruiser meet up...need someone to take the reins and get a list of folks and circulate an invite.

Well with that H55 not so much a poverty package. haha. Looks great!! Loved seeing the progress. Im hoping the swap wakes up my 2F. Although I really don't have too many complaints. Except the gas mileage. :frown: Try to keep it well maintained. Josh has done a lot of work on it. I also speak to him often. Great guy to talk with and knows everything about landcruisers. Mine also has manual windows and locks but I prefer that. Yea we should all try to meet up this spring/summer. Lots of people around this area with LCs.

Anybody know if there is a bell housing that works between a H55 and 4BT or 6BT Cummins? If a diesel swap is in ones future this would be something that should be researched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom