Patina Appreciation: Show Us Your Rusty Land Cruiser! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A 1977 FJ 40 with nice Southern Arizona Patina! What should we use to clean and seal the Patina?

Thx,N

IMG_6341.JPG

IMG_6343.JPG

IMG_6345.JPG

Man, it scratched the heck out of mine. Maybe I’ll try and buff it.

You may have a clear coat or you may not be in the same paint camp as I.

I think a worn out scotchbright is better. I just use a coarse cotton shop towel. Lifts the ‘milk’ up out of the paint...for a while. Then it looks splotchy until it weathers again.

I rattle can the rustiest parts every five years or so. Had a case of custom rattle cans mixed in 2004; haven’t used them all yet.:hillbilly:

No clear coat, I’m stripping the 90’s white paint to reveal the original rustic green nicely preserved underneath.

I’ve tried different colors of scotch brite pads. Will try a coarse towel.

@Ocho77 a really safe method is wetsanding by hand. Just keep the area wet with a sponge. Somewhere in the 400 to 1000 grit range is what I use depending on the project. Most auto parts stores will have waterproof sandpaper up to 3000 grit. Paint Jobbers will have it in big packs.

For guys wanting to remove rust in certain areas. Naval Jelly is awesome. It now comes packaged as “rust dissolver” gel. I’ve found it in Permatex and Loctite jars.
I had some rust stained OEM paint similar to FJ40Jim’s rig above. I was going for a “polished Patina” look:hillbilly:
I slathered the naval jelly on my paint, worked like a charm on my 71 cygnus paint.
644F5A97-5355-450E-A5EF-CE6A8039E0FF.jpeg

5E842CAD-9CBB-4C0A-B1A4-B3615DEC7718.jpeg

9EF08437-87C2-4881-9D48-C0AD783200D6.jpeg

D2240AD0-31AF-4166-B3D3-E6D22529D83D.jpeg

Last edited:
One of my other patina rigs, the Karma Cruiser. It was quite the uphill battle to convince Tony, the PO, not to repaint the truck.

It had a bad accident at some point (front impact) that not only took out the front bumper, but bent the bib, driver’s fender and both sides of the cowl behind the front aprons. One of the ears on the driver’s side steering knuckle is torn halfway off! :eek:

Tony’s second wife didn’t really like the Cruiser. I installed the sliding windows because she was claustrophobic in it. Then she started bugging him to get it repainted. I straightened the bib, fenders and cowl out, as well as a fairly mangled running board as a prelude to sending it off to the body shop, and because I secretly hoped that it would be ‘good enough ‘.

I really liked the results.;)

As karma would have it, Tony ended up giving me the truck before it got painted. And so it will stay, complete with faded pinstripes.
5D76B588-8B53-419E-BC43-8C74EA332C2C.jpeg

Unrestored December of 78 mustard.
20180212_100653.jpg

@65swb45 Do you have nonslip tape near your cowl vent? Guessing it’s there for when you access the rack. I like that driver side carrier. Seems like a good spot for extra storage. Cool seeing some of your modifications. :cool:

@65swb45 Do you have nonslip tape near your cowl vent? Guessing it’s there for when you access the rack. I like that driver side carrier. Seems like a good spot for extra storage. Cool seeing some of your modifications. :cool:

Yes. There are two more pieces at the back of the hood, and one on the top of the passengers fender. They have been camp tested for about 5 years now.

The driver’s side cowl had several holes already drilled in it from a crap-*ss Jerry can holder and a radio antenna. I repurposed them for my 3 gallon water can with a homemade framework idea shamelessly borrowed from @spdwaver1

I consider every one of my rigs (except the resto short bed) a canvas for exploring ideas. @wngrog can attest that the sleeping platform option in that truck saved my *ss at Katemcy the year the monster storm wiped out the Cottonland camp 50 feet away. :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom