Parts washer solvent - what are you using? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The purple cleaners work great, but IME they also kill the seals in the pump and some plastics don't like constant submersion in it.

I just ordered 10 gallons of the PSC 1000. Kind of amazing that they say that they can deliver it in this State.
Well KA didn't squelch the delivery. I got them.

some of those cleaners like the ubiquitous Simple Green classic and others are not good for aluminum. FWIW, Simple Green does sell a different cleaner that is reportedly much better for soft metals (but they still say not to exceed some mild concentration).
Reading through this thread, I was just going to ask what people were using for aluminum?

This seems to be the Simple Green product that is safe for aluminum: Simple Green Industrial Cleaning Site - https://simplegreen.com/industrial/products/extreme-aircraft-precision-cleaner/

In their product notes: "Maximum dilution for non-corrosion to metals is 1:13"

Their dilution recommendations:
Dilution Instructions
These dilution ratios are provided as a guide. The product can be custom-diluted to address specific application needs.

Heavy Cleaning: Dilute 1 part Extreme Simple Green to 3 parts water
Use to clean heavily soiled aircraft leading edges, blow-by, belly oil, parts washing, engine cleaning, concrete cleanup, heavily soiled floors and traffic areas, tool clean-up, as a wax remover and as a soak for gasket adhesives removal.

General Cleaning: Dilute 1 part Extreme Simple Green to 13 parts water
Use as a general hand-washdown of aircraft and vehicles and for regular maintenance cleaning of floors, walls and counters.

Pressure Washing: Dilute 1 part Extreme Simple Green to 30-50 parts water For heavily soiled aircraft, vehicles or structures use 30 parts water. For lightly soiled surfaces use 50 parts water.

Light Cleaning: Dilute 1 part Extreme Simple Green to 127 parts water For use as a "window wash" and very light cleaning. Wipe onto glass, mirror, chrome, and plexiglass and polish dry with clean, non-abrasive cloth.

That one seems more techy than the one I got for Alum which is called Simple Green Pro HD heavy duty cleaner. Mine is purple (ironically enough). But then again, maybe they only change the colors anyway for all we know...

A couple of months ago I was looking for something to clean an aluminum intake. It
was relatively new so wasn't real dirty but had some stains on it. I tried just about everything I had, carb cleaner, mag cleaner and several other solvents. I finally used Klean Strips Prep and Etch and it worked great. I've been using it prior to painting steel or treating rust. I also used it after electrolysis to prevent flash rust. Recently I used it on my 8274 after degreasing. On my final application i used it with a purple scotch and then a gray fine scotch brite pad. My b4 pic isn't great.
20230514_144928.jpg
20230523_201401.jpg
20230603_201120.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a used parts washer and this is on the lid. Very interesting!
IMG_9156.jpeg
IMG_9155.jpeg

That one seems more techy than the one I got for Alum which is called Simple Green Pro HD heavy duty cleaner. Mine is purple (ironically enough). But then again, maybe they only change the colors anyway for all we know...

This one?

Interesting that it makes no mention of any issues with use while the specifically "non-caustic" one I linked has a maximum dilution ratio for metals.

I think it's important to realize everything corrodes aluminum.

Most cleaners made for aluminum etch the surface to clean it.

Hydroflouric acid is an amazing aluminum cleaner. Just keep in mind it will go right through your skin and dissolve your bones if you get it on you.

Early experiments with HFA (HydroFlouric Acid) caused a lot of deaths before they realized just how dangerous the stuff is.

I doubt that you're gonna die from the low concentration of HF in mag wheel cleaner, but be really freakin' careful with it anyway. Dangerous stuff, wear rubber gloves when using it and a mask and safety glasses would be a good idea too.

Early experiments with HFA (HydroFlouric Acid) caused a lot of deaths before they realized just how dangerous the stuff is.

I doubt that you're gonna die from the low concentration of HF in mag wheel cleaner, but be really freakin' careful with it anyway. Dangerous stuff, wear rubber gloves when using it and a mask and safety glasses would be a good idea too.
I have a gallon of 70%. Works fast!

Sheet, that's about as safe as the 660 volt 16 Farad (not Micro-farad) capacitor my dad left in the garage when he left us. Scared the bejeezous out of me every time I saw it. Those techs at the electronics recycling center just about had a melt-down when I brought it in..........

^^^^ yes, it's that purple Simple Green. It's odd, it says on the label that for non-corrosive cleaning "do not exceed 1:10 ratio" but says also "do not dilute beyond 1:10 ratio" which seems contradictory, so I don't know what that means. I'll have to call and see if they know about that.

Gratuitous rant of the day: I called and chatted with Samsung Tech support recently several times with the same phone question, and got 4 different answers, *all wrong*! Sheesh...

^^^^ yes, it's that purple Simple Green. It's odd, it says on the label that for non-corrosive cleaning "do not exceed 1:10 ratio" but says also "do not dilute beyond 1:10 ratio" which seems contradictory, so I don't know what that means. I'll have to call and see if they know about that.

Gratuitous rant of the day: I called and chatted with Samsung Tech support recently several times with the same phone question, and got 4 different answers, *all wrong*! Sheesh...
I guess they were all reading from a different script...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom