Builds The Warthog - 1977/73 combo (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, how the heck do you remove the EGR off the block with the steering box right there?

Can I just leave it and block it off upstream instead of up under the manifold?

IMG_5973.JPG

IMG_5974.JPG

I would unbolt this connection circled in green below, and get a block off plate & gasket. Then remove the rest of that hard pipe if you can access the fitting at the other end, or cut it back as far as you can.

IMG_1726.JPG

Then, get rid of the accordion thing and everything above it except this piece below, which you'll modify by plugging the EGR end, and keeping the PCV side.

IMG_1727.JPG

The best way, if you can get to it, is to cap it at the manifold, since it will eliminate the common exhaust leaks at either end of that hard pipe. I thought I remembered having access from below.

If you can't, though, capping the purple will work.

The PCV thing is easy and the right thing to do. Cut this pipe off, plug with a giant bolt, weld or JB Weld it airtight and cut the bolt flush with the casting.

The PCV end is likely clogged since it had exhaust gas cooking it, so it's a good opportunity to clean it out.

IMG_1728.JPG

Dammit.

I cut it out. Then busted one stud on the EGR output on the bottom of the intake manifold.

Again. I'm really trying not to pull the manifolds. I've got no leaks so it's happy.

So. The JimC block off plate is beefy as hell But the male end is a not a tight fit.

Is there a RTV that will withstand these temps to back up the one bolt holding it on?

That way most of the seal is there with the ramflex being the secondary seal

I've convinced myself this is going to seal up with one stud and the Ramflex.

I need to determine If I damaged my motor filling it full of gas in the oil before I worry about a potential exhaust leak.

IMG_5983.JPG

IMG_5984.JPG

IMG_5986.JPG

IMG_5990.JPG

Last edited:
I forgot to post that after looking at all the smog BS still plugged in and the fact that this carb needs a rebuild I went ahead and bought a Japanese @Racer65 carb for it. This way I know. I've had great luck with this style carb on my 40.

Got this area all cleaned up and treated with the rust store treatment. I won't be painting it but it will be nice and clean
IMG_6071.JPG

Last edited:
@beno brought me some OEM wheels, Garth really did ship the caps the slowest way ever and I sold my split rims today.

I'll be moving the 33x10.50x15 BFG MTs that are on my 60 to the Pig. They have 80% tread but they are 15 years old so they are going on Parts O Pig

IMG_6284.JPG

A page back I tried to fix the parking brake leak with a speedy sleeve.

Fail.

So, after some research I found that my buddy @Mudrak sells a nice clean speedo housing with a new seal and gasket for $94 shipped.

IMG_6299.JPG
IMG_6331.JPG
IMG_6332.JPG

I took the time to clean it all up good and it is drying out for reassembly tomorrow. I only saved 2 of 6 skidplate bolts. That's a bummer.

By the way, getting the parking brake drum off after the speedy sleeve and RTV in the splines set up sucked so bad.

sorry I didn't see this...I got my egr cooler off/on whatever by pulling the bolts of the steering box and leaving it all hooked up but pulling it out of the way....you're done now, tho...I have always found that knowledge can be made up for to a certain degree by determination :cheers: you will do well with pig.

Got up early and skipped the gym and stuck all the Ebrake and Speedo stuff back in.

I scraped away the dirt dinners and the heavy stuff. This will get a date with the tractor pressure washer some day soon.

IMG_6339.JPG
IMG_6341.JPG

The rear shaft grease zerks would not take grease on the truck. I put it in the parts washer and got it good to go and each joint took 5-6 full pumps so they were bare.

IMG_6343.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom