parking disc brake - brake caliper choice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, how about this, does anyone see anything wrong with the following belt and suspenders approach. Use the remote cylinder mounted as above where the brake cable pushes/pulls the lever that actuates the piston. Either have the same cable continue on through the lever and with the same action, i.e. same pull of the cable that actuates the lock, also actuate the mechanical caliper on say the TSM split case disk setup. My mechanic suggested another option would be to have a separate cable come off the back side of the same lever on the bracket, i.e. instead of the same cable actuating both mechanisms, directly, have the parking brake lever pull the piston and the caliper mechanically through the lever.

Why do both? If you have to register the vehicle and pass inspection in an area that doesn´t permit hydraulic brakes as your only parking brake and in order to pass inspection the brakes have to hold the vehicle. Neither of the current disk based systems has a good rep for holding the rig, i.e. passing inspection. A dual system would have the benefit of holding the vehicle and if it failed the disk would be there as a back up. I guess the second aspect is that it will take a while to work out a stronger single caliper or dual caliper setup so I guess you could say that the linelock is cheap backup untill the dust settles on the caliper debate. :meh: What do you guys think.

:clap::cookie:

A dual system would have the benefit of holding the vehicle and if it failed the disk would be there as a back up.

The hydro part is there because the disk isn't known for holding power, but the disk is the backup for the hydro? :hmm:

The drum parking brake actually works. :idea:

My rig has a drum at the t-case and drums inside the rear disks that aren't connected (yet). :)

designed for a minitruck.

I have one for my 40 but have never installed it

Was it holding at all? And you went back to the stock set up correct?

It held, just not as good as the rear drums. Yes, I went back to stock.

Anybody come up with a solution yet? Planning on installing the split case this coming winter!!!

It's on my LONG list of things to do....

TSM is in the Denver area, so I wanted to go have a chat with them about it.

Dan

A shot in the dark here , but couldn't you alter the friction by changing the surface of the disk to something more coarse thus changing the holding power? Since the brake won't be set while its spinning, but rather from stand still it wouldn't impact its wear. Or is this crazy talk?

Hi All:

Vic, consider the rear disc brakes from a Holden Jackaroo (aka Isuzu Trooper.) On the US market the 1988 and newer Troopers came with rear disc brakes with parking brake cables.

I've been hoping to come across a junked Trooper to steal the rear axle out of with the idea of swapping these rear disc brakes onto a 40 Series Land Cruiser! :D

Good luck!

Alan

The trooper dana 44 rearend has stk disc brakes, but the emergency brake is a drum brake inside the hat of the disc. A friend of mine runs this type of rear end in his j**p. It does work good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom