OME lift kit/suspension. Heavy load vs medium load (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Look into the dobinson 2” progressive springs. That should fit the bill with 33” tires. I wanted 315s so I opted for the 3” heavies. Also I already had a spare set of 863 from my 100 series. If not, I would have gone with the dobinsons.
I will look into that I’ve got a few options here to research thanks to these replies. Think OME is out, glad I asked around

I’ve ran my OME long travel shocks for about 6 years now. Pros: they provide the most travel per buck out of any other shock on the market hands down. Cons; they are stiff riding

I am now switching to the dobinson IMS shocks because it’s time for something smoother. But you can see below that I am sacrificing some travel for this benefit.

8FAC072C-45DF-44CA-8092-4E5F5B3E5A03.png

I am now switching to the dobinson IMS shocks
IMO. Worth it. After test driving a friends 80 w/ OME, I knew that’s what I didn’t want. Nice comparison table!

Plus the fade resistance + long maintenance interval + rebuildable + dang man, they are built like a tank.

I really happy with mine + their variable rate springs. I bet the comfort spring would be very plush. Note: I read somewhere their prices are going up in May (shipping from AU is getting speedy, prob supply chain issues....thanks covid). BUT, They have a discount mud code too.

Look into the dobinson 2” progressive springs. That should fit the bill with 33” tires. I wanted 315s so I opted for the 3” heavies. Also I already had a spare set of 863 from my 100 series. If not, I would have gone with the dobinsons.
Looking into the dobinson 2” springs would you pair them with Dobinsons shocks (if so which ones)? I was considering pairing them with bilstein 5100. I have time before I’m going to get the suspension done as I need some other work done on the LX first, but it’ll be a potential next step so I’m looking into it a little.

Mike at Exit Offroad and I exchanged some messagess on the Dobinson options. Below is a copy and paste from his email that seems relevant to your desired setup. This is actually what I ended up ordering but have yet to install (arrived today).

So here's the list of parts with the 2.5" setup that I'd recommend for you.

C97-146VT front coils
C97-147VT rear coils
You can do the 0-3" shocks if you don't want to change your brake lines, or the 4-5" for maximum travel, but you will need the brake lines then.
SD59-824 front steering damper
Rear LSPV bracket
Rubber caster bushings
Front sway bar drop brackets
Rear sway bar drop brackets - you'll need to check your car for which ones you need
You can add airbags to help with towing if you feel like the tongue weight of the trailer will be a lot and you plan to tow often.

And that's the basics. You don't need rear upper or lower trailing arms or panhard rods at the height this setup will get you. You could replace the OE ones with them if yours are in bad condition or if the bushings are shot.

And here's where you can put all those items together: Dobinsons 0" - 3" Lift Kit for Toyota Land Cruiser 80 Series | Exit Offroad - https://exitoffroad.com/product/dobinsons-80-series-build-your-kit/

I'm still fairly new to the 80 series as well. My truck had blown out carquest shocks and OEM Toyota coils when I got it. I'm never going to do any rock crawling, and it takes me a minimum of an hour of freeway to get to any good trails. I went with replacement Oem Tokico shocks, and then went with the Dobinsons variable rate "stock height" slight load springs. It has pretty good on-road manners, and doesn't do anything unpredictable off road. The Tokico shocks are cheap, and designed (valved) for our trucks. The limiting factor of the Tokico shocks is the length, If I go any higher with springs, I will loose out on I think down travel first.
There is almost an overload of info in the "80 series suspension" thread.

Not all bumpers weigh a ton. I think the ARB may be on the lighter side of the common bumpers.

Ironman has a nice range of product, and they offer different spring choices as well if you decide to go that route.

Mike at Exit Offroad and I exchanged some messagess on the Dobinson options. Below is a copy and paste from his email that seems relevant to your desired setup. This is actually what I ended up ordering but have yet to install (arrived today).

So here's the list of parts with the 2.5" setup that I'd recommend for you.

C97-146VT front coils
C97-147VT rear coils
You can do the 0-3" shocks if you don't want to change your brake lines, or the 4-5" for maximum travel, but you will need the brake lines then.
SD59-824 front steering damper
Rear LSPV bracket
Rubber caster bushings
Front sway bar drop brackets
Rear sway bar drop brackets - you'll need to check your car for which ones you need
You can add airbags to help with towing if you feel like the tongue weight of the trailer will be a lot and you plan to tow often.

And that's the basics. You don't need rear upper or lower trailing arms or panhard rods at the height this setup will get you. You could replace the OE ones with them if yours are in bad condition or if the bushings are shot.

And here's where you can put all those items together: Dobinsons 0" - 3" Lift Kit for Toyota Land Cruiser 80 Series | Exit Offroad - https://exitoffroad.com/product/dobinsons-80-series-build-your-kit/
So I need all that stuff? I was hoping I could just get spring and shocks and maybe the steering damper to start hahaha, oh well I’ll just have to budget different to get the lift I guess

So I need all that stuff? I was hoping I could just get spring and shocks and maybe the steering damper to start hahaha, oh well I’ll just have to budget different to get the lift I guess
You don't need the airbags and the variable rate taper coils are more expensive than the linear.

You might want to note my setup doesn't maximize the travel I could get out of the springs - that would require panhard rods, extended brake lines, trailing arms, etc. I'm just cutting my teeth on the rig and figure I can always upgrade these components later on if desired.

You don't need the airbags and the variable rate taper coils are more expensive than the linear.

You might want to note my setup doesn't maximize the travel I could get out of the springs - that would require panhard rods, extended brake lines, trailing arms, etc. I'm just cutting my teeth on the rig and figure I can always upgrade these components later on if desired.
But I need most of it? I can’t get away with just shocks and springs being upgraded? And how do I know which sway bar extension I need? I have no suspension knowledge at all

But I need most of it? I can’t get away with just shocks and springs being upgraded? And how do I know which sway bar extension I need? I have no suspension knowledge at

But I need most of it? I can’t get away with just shocks and springs being upgraded? And how do I know which sway bar extension I need? I have no suspension knowledge at all
Simple answer, yes. I poured over a lot of information before choosing my setup and reached out to the vendors specifically to confirm my understanding. The swaybar extension brackets have a note on the vendor's website describing where to look for the attachment to the frame. There are resources more knowledgeable than myself - the comprehensive thread, youtube videos, vendors. I would do more research understanding what the components provide rather than trying to cut corners and just do "shocks and springs"

Simple answer, yes. I poured over a lot of information before choosing my setup and reached out to the vendors specifically to confirm my understanding. The swaybar extension brackets have a note on the vendor's website describing where to look for the attachment to the frame. There are resources more knowledgeable than myself - the comprehensive thread, youtube videos, vendors. I would do more research understanding what the components provide rather than trying to cut corners and just do "shocks and springs"
Fair enough. Just cutting corners temporarily though until I can afford to get the other parts haha

Well crap. Sorry for posting bad info. I always hear how the ARB is made of "thin" steel, and I did get it mounted by myself. I just figured it was lighter than any of the smaller shops offerings because they seem to use a bit thicker plate. From a quick bit of google, it does seem like people estimate 50-60 Kilograms for them. (ARB doesn't or will not publish a weight for them). It didn't feel like 130pounds when I had to move it in and out of my truck, and then move it around the garage twice. Anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom