OME vs Ironman lift kits? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 96 LC that I’m looking to add a 2” lift to. My rig is just a weekend driver, no rock crawling or extreme off-roading. Just the occasional dirt roads to get to campsites. I do plan on adding a front bumper and (maybe?) a winch. I also plan on adding a rear tire carrier from GGM. What is everyone’s thoughts on OME and Ironman lift kits? Is one better than the other? Where are you all purchasing the OME kits? Right now Ironman is having a 25% off sale and the 2” Nitro gas kit is about $915 before tax w/free shipping. Is that a good deal?

Go to the thread above for details.

There are lots more and you'll get lots of opinions here.

Frankly, you need to read a lot about people's uses and desires for their truck and how they like them to ride.

I like a stiff ride, others like a soft ride.

One word: Dobinsons
Technically that's a band name, not a word.
It's 'one label' in the closest vernacular.

Robin's-egg-blue is the next closest vernacular, imparting neither capability nor masculinity.
Which is unfortunate regardless of reality.

I recommend OME.
Relatively similar performance and not robin's-egg-blue.

Last edited:
Technically that's a band name, not a word.
It's 'one label' in the closest vernacular.

Robin's-egg-blue is the next closest vernacular, imparting neither capability nor masculinity.
Which is unfortunate regardless of reality.

I recommend OME.
Relatively similar performance and not robin's-egg-blue.

Ouch!

I like my robin's egg blue 😋

You're going to get many differing opinions as everyone's use case is different.
Personally, I don't care for the OME setup. I think the ride quality sucks. I've had several different suspension setups over the years across 2 80s. Currently I run the IronMan 4" springs with the matching foam cell pro shocks. I've had this setup for several years now and I'm very happy. I don't have any of the other fluff parts because I think that adjustable parts that keep the axles under the truck is just looking for trouble. I've seen too many come apart on the trail and it just makes a mess.
I have the solid LandTank/Wits End extended rear trailing arms, the DVS 4" leading arms to correct caster, the DVS rear panhard lift, and new OEM suspension bushings all around.
It's my daily driver/road trip vehicle/off road wheeler.

Good advice from Jon Held ^^^. In my experience there really isn't a kit that does it all. Depending on the desired height of the suspension and intended use there is an increasing list of items to consider. You may want to add bumpers etc. to get a feel for weight before making suspension choices, it will save you $ in the long run.
  • Near Stock Height
    • Springs and Shocks of your preference - this should be based on vehicle weight and intended use.
    • Replace all suspension bushings - control arms and sway bars
  • Up to 2.5" of lift - everything above including ...
    • Extended brake lines front and rear
    • Caster correction options
      • Plates
      • Drop brackets
      • Custom control arms
      • Bushings (generally regarded as least desirable)
    • Rear Panhard (not required for smaller lifts but possibly desired)
      • Adjustable length replacement Panhard or
      • Panhard lift bracket
  • North of 2.5" of lift - everything above including
    • Bump stop adjustments for measured wheel travel and tire size
    • Sway bar extensions & upgrades
    • Possible replacement of the front DS with a DC shaft for driveline vibes, or converting to part-time 4WD
    • Extended adjustable rear lower control arms
    • Adjustable rear upper control arms
As you can see the list keep growing the higher you go, IMHO these rigs can do amazing things with a relatively small suspension lift and the right tires. Don't be afraid call some of the major suppliers of this gear to talk through the options.

@LandLocked93 … thanks for the correction! Punctuation, grammar and forming a proper sentence is always an ongoing challenge!
I’m no linguistics expert but I do think proper names or proper nouns are words!

Word or brand name aside, I will always recommend Dobinsons. After using both Ironman and OME springs over the years my experience is that Dobinsons are a better spring in the long run.

@LandLocked93 … thanks for the correction! Punctuation, grammar and forming a proper sentence is always an ongoing challenge!
I’m no linguistics expert but I do think proper names or proper nouns are words!

Word or brand name aside, I will always recommend Dobinsons. After using both Ironman and OME springs over the years my experience is that Dobinsons are a better spring in the long run.
lol Was just pokin'.
I've heard they are good. Just wish they came in more than one color.
And maybe they do. 👍

I've been running an iron man 2" lift for the last 3 years. It's not the latest and greatest suspension but it certainly does the job good enough for your described uses. I say go for it.

^ same. I am happy with the 2” Ironman. I paid less than $900 shipped to my door. I wanted to fit larger tires. Good enough for my use. Cannot beat free shipping on top of 25% discount.

I am slowly putting a 4” Dobinson lift together (via Mud) in case I want to go taller but fully understand that it is a whole different ballgame as mentioned.

Here is how it sits:

DE09E1EE-D75A-40DD-A13C-C5420EE6EBC1.jpeg

^ same. I am happy with the 2” Ironman. I paid less than $900 shipped to my door. I wanted to fit larger tires. Good enough for my use. Cannot beat free shipping on top of 25% discount.

I am slowly putting a 4” Dobinson lift together (via Mud) in case I want to go taller but fully understand that it is a whole different ballgame as mentioned.

Here is how it sits:

View attachment 3472401
What size tires are those?

In terms of quality, the OME will be better overall, but I don't personally like the ride. They are great in the dirt but too firm on the road. Also, the shocks tend to be a bit short to allow full suspension extension. But it sounds like that might not be needed for your uses so it would work just fine. Cruiser Outfitters would be the place I'd go to order the OME kit.

Ironman is a very "budget" Australian brand. Think Rough Country equivalent here in the US. That said it will probably work just fine for your intended uses. Performance from the Ironman kit will be "budget" also but for the average road driver it seems to be adequate.

Ironman is a very "budget" Australian brand. Think Rough Country equivalent here in the US. That said it will probably work just fine for your intended uses. Performance from the Ironman kit will be "budget" also but for the average road driver it seems to be adequate.

Agreed. Ironman would be low on my list of options.
Not all landcruiser products out of Australia (via China) are awesome 🤣

I've had good luck with the Ironman 2" FCP kit for the most part. Their rear upper control arms rub on the stock bracket slightly on the chassis side but everything else has been fine. Their panhard rods and control arms are a lot beefier than the stock parts. They probably weigh twice as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom