OME Comp Springs Installed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just finished installing new OME Comp Springs on the 80. I installed 420 5" fronts and 422 4" rears. Cruiser sits level. The springs replaced Js with 2.5"spacers up front and 1.5" in the rear. The springs were purchased from Kurt at cruiseroutfitters.com

Fronts- 420 vs. J
Spring1.jpg

Fronts- 420 vs. J
Spring2.jpg

All Spring
allspring.jpg

In dark with new the new springs. Sorry for the bad picture. Sun was down when I finished.
badpicture.jpg

Nice, daylight pics!!!!

and ride? how do they feel? Those 315's look SMALL. I bet you don't have hardly any downtravel on those shocks, unless you have moved the shock placement.

Whats the spring rate on those bad boys? Similar to heavies or J's?

FJBen said:
Nice, daylight pics!!!!
Thanks!!!! As I said in the first post, the sun was down when I finished

FJBen said:
and ride? how do they feel? Those 315's look SMALL. I bet you don't have hardly any downtravel on those shocks, unless you have moved the shock placement.

So far so good, I just ran to the store to grab milk and click a picture under a light when I finished. I will report back when I get a few miles on them.

Shocks were not moved. The 80 sits within 1/2" of were it did with Js and spacers so down travel didn't change much.

MaddBaggins said:
I do not know the exact spring rate, but they are heavier than both heavies and Js. To be honest this why I made the change. I felt like I had too much sway with Js and spacers. I wanted the same amount of lift with less lean. Time will tell.

MaddBaggins said:

220 lb/in vs 300 lb/in on the fronts
250 lb/in vs 280 lb/in on the rears

All comparative info here:
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/tech_OME_coils.html

Interestingly the spring rate on the fronts was bumped up a significant 80 lbs/in while the rears only 30 lbs/in. As Dave has mentioned, this is a needed change for certain applications.

NOTE: These "comp" OME springs do NOT have the same warranty as other OME products, and they recommend that they be installed for off-road use and "their legality fo public road use should be certified..." by an expert.

alkaline747trio said:
Are the prices of these things the same as regular OME springs, or does "Comp." come with extra cost?

Extra cost... :D

They are a bit more expensive... They retail at $129.01 each versus $96.24 for other OME springs. Of course I've seen them sell for ~$85 ;)

NW-sickboy said:
Kurt,

know of anyone else running these?

Yeah, I have a couple other customers running them, so far so good though Dave is the only local customer thusfar :cool:

NW-sickboy said:
Kurt,

know of anyone else running these?

I'm running these front and rear in mine. 418 in the front and 421 in the rear. Mine has a ****'n heavy rear bar so mine has 30mm rear spring spacers as well.

lets see some daylight pics!! what are you doing about castor with that set up.

Slee front arms for castor correction.
SP1.jpg

SP3.jpg

that is very very tempting. I would then be forced to go to 37s, so I will wait a while...the pocketbook needs a vacation.

Nice setup!

Very nice! I like the 5" height...exactly where I'm at without spacers! :idea: hmmm...should I sell my 4"/J setup now? :grinpimp:

I have been running the springs for month and am very happy with them. It is feels more stable on the road and a lot better during hard braking. It still drives great offroad.

Last edited:
I can not tell if you are being serious or mocking me for finding a setup that works for me but is different than yours. No more spacers for me either.

I have been running the springs for month and am very happy with them. It is feels more stable on the road and a lot better during hard braking. It still drives great offroad.

no that was serious, definitely interested in seeing how these turn out. I'd personally rather not run the spacers, And we appear to be at the same height, which is pretty nice.

looks great sir!

thanks for the report!!! :cheers:

Are the slee arms the only drivetrain mods you've made? Have you done anything about panhard bars or swaybars or anything like that? I'm trying to decide what I need to do, it's getting close to time for new tires and some 37s would be schweet.

Last edited:
Dang! A whole month and missed this thread. Wow! This is what I would like. However I cannot afford the after part. I imagine a CV driveshaft and something more than caster plates would be necessary. And then the axle upgrades and new tires. All of a sudden the little spring upgrade would set me back $4k.

I'm at what I believe is a threshold. Js 1" spacer up front, caster plates, and 315s. If I go bigger I'm concerned about the elockers and axle shafts.

If I go bigger I will just break stuff and want to do harder stuff that will just cost me more money.

I have to have some sort of rationale behind my reasoning to not go bigger.

Maybe I should just sell my rig and start over?

ARGHHHH! Kurt you are taunting me.

not trying to get off topic here, but wondering what one would do to adjust castor with a 5 inch lift? I know there are the slee arms, but for around $1,000 just for arms that's not in my ball park. I have the plates now, so i guess maybe plates along with castor bushings? Maybe? Other than that, you could cut'n'turn. Do you think the 5 inch lift is enough for the arm flip? The guys in aussie say you need 6 inches to do that.

not trying to get off topic here, but wondering what one would do to adjust castor with a 5 inch lift? I know there are the slee arms, but for around $1,000 just for arms that's not in my ball park. I have the plates now, so i guess maybe plates along with castor bushings? Maybe? Other than that, you could cut'n'turn. Do you think the 5 inch lift is enough for the arm flip? The guys in aussie say you need 6 inches to do that.

Christo stated earlier that you can't run the plates and the bushings as the steering would interfere with the arms too much. This is a big leap financially for only another 1" or 2". Really the Js are threshold to needing a lot more expensive modifications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom