OME BP-51 OWNERS...... ROLL CALL......... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nasty. Finding the root cause would be good. While there are better lifts/suspensions, I would not call BP-51 a POS (though I understand the frustration when your wife calls and you see what's in the pic). Mine have been installed for almost 50k miles and 5 years with some significant bashing and off road use. I've never had any issues or even adjusted them other than playing with the adjustments. All I do is grease the UCA every oil change. I figure at 50K I'm getting close to rebuild time but I know that going in.
Though not as severe as what happened yesterday, I've had my share of issues during ownership. Mostly leaks. Also, one failed shock replaced under warranty, but only after much haggling.

Mine are a very early model. I'd expect improvements have since been made.

Pretty sure I would not buy them again.
What would go with instead. Mine are getting long in the tooth and I have been thinking of replacing them.

I fact checked myself and I've only had the BP-51s for 2.5 years and 40K. Sorry bout that.

For all those with positive BP-51 experiences, can you share your compression and rebound settings?

I’m all stock except for Slee sliders with 2721 springs in rear and no preload up front. 1 year in and I still annoyed with my ride. Either too bouncy or too rigid. Can’t find the sweet spot. Main problem is in the rear. Maybe 2721 is too much spring for no load.

For all those with positive BP-51 experiences, can you share your compression and rebound settings?

I’m all stock except for Slee sliders with 2721 springs in rear and no preload up front. 1 year in and I still annoyed with my ride. Either too bouncy or too rigid. Can’t find the sweet spot. Main problem is in the rear. Maybe 2721 is too much spring for no load.
Mine are set in the middle for both compression and rebound. I have 20 mm preload on the front but have TJM and winch. I have 2721s with 30 mm spacers in the rear. If anything I’d say it’s a bit too floaty on highway but about right off road. Even after adding Dissent rear with dual swing outs it’s ok though I probably could compression up a bit. In general, I think I’m just not as picky about dialing in a suspension as many here are. I do not drive my 200 like a sports car and a little floaty is ok with me.

After my 24 gal aux tank goes in, I’ll be changing rear springs almost certainly.

Does anyone know what front springs OME is using for the 200 series BP-51 kit? I saw somewhere they are around 750 lb. rate. I'm wanting to know the part number.

I'm wondering if the spring rate can be changed by using other OME springs such as the OME2700, OME2701, OME2702, or OME2703?

I would also like to know if any of the OME front springs are progressive rate?

Last edited:
Wife called me late yesterday........... "weird sound and some milky brown oil."

Glad it wasn't the milky brown I was afraid of, but this really blows.

Having the factory shocks reinstalled and taking these POS off.

View attachment 3187443

View attachment 3187444

I just had this happen to me last week. Shocks clearly needed a rebuild after 4 years and 70k miles, but the truck has only seen street miles since last summer. Noticed some clunking noises on the way to work. When I walked up to the truck, I noticed the coilover angled in the wrong direction. Unfortunately, the coilover took out a brand new CV axle installed last year.

After running these for a few years, I cannot recommend them and will be moving in a new direction. ARB replaced a few leaking shocks for me over the years, but since I am now past the warranty period they do not want to help. I tried to escalate this within their Tech Department and all they would offer is allowing me to send them the coilover to examine it. It seemed like a massive waste of time to me. Clearly ARB does not stand behind their "new" shock.

Between the difficulty of adjusting them, replacing them under warranty multiple times due to leaks, the rear stone guards constantly falling off, the squeaking from bushings, and finally this failure, they are simply not worth the money or the hassle.

Snapped Coilover.jpg

Last edited:
Yikes, that's a first. I'd be super curious what the actual failure mode was. Did it have any pressure left in the shock? It does appear to have been leaking for some time.

On the CV, no reason to replace, simply reboot. OE reboot kits are widely available.

Yikes, that's a first. I'd be super curious what the actual failure mode was. Did it have any pressure left in the shock? It does appear to have been leaking for some time.

On the CV, no reason to replace, simply reboot. OE reboot kits are widely available.

Thanks @cruiseroutfit . It is actually the second, see above. These shocks needed to be rebuilt and this one snapped a week before we planned to remove them. The CV was not damaged thankfully and just needed a reboot.

Unfortunately, ARB would not rebuild or warranty my set of BP-51's until they had them in hand. This did not sound promising, but a rebuild was cheaper than a new suspension so decided to pursue this option. I didn't have a set of stock shocks on hand and reached out to Cruiser Outfitters who had a few sets of take-offs. These were needed so the truck could be driven (it is my daily) during the 4-6 week shipping and rebuild process at ARB.

After closer examination during suspension removal, it was clear that these shocks could not be rebuilt. ARB was not willing to help any further and I made the decision to move on from this suspension.

I tried calling Cruiser Outfitters today to see if they would consider returning my unopened stock suspension parts. While I was more than willing to pay for the return shipping and even a restocking fee, the person on the phone just kept saying I was past the return policy and used parts could not be returned. He was unwilling to consider the position that ARB had put me in and the realities of timing when rebuilding a suspension.

I hope this provides some lessons learned for the 200 community regarding BP-51's and future rebuilds.

Thanks @cruiseroutfit . It is actually the second, see above. These shocks needed to be rebuilt and this one snapped a week before we planned to remove them. The CV was not damaged thankfully and just needed a reboot.

Unfortunately, ARB would not rebuild or warranty my set of BP-51's until they had them in hand. This did not sound promising, but a rebuild was cheaper than a new suspension so decided to pursue this option. I didn't have a set of stock shocks on hand and reached out to Cruiser Outfitters who had a few sets of take-offs. These were needed so the truck could be driven (it is my daily) during the 4-6 week shipping and rebuild process at ARB.

After closer examination during suspension removal, it was clear that these shocks could not be rebuilt. ARB was not willing to help any further and I made the decision to move on from this suspension.

I tried calling Cruiser Outfitters today to see if they would consider returning my unopened stock suspension parts. While I was more than willing to pay for the return shipping and even a restocking fee, the person on the phone just kept saying I was past the return policy and used parts could not be returned. He was unwilling to consider the position that ARB had put me in and the realities of timing when rebuilding a suspension.

I hope this provides some lessons learned for the 200 community regarding BP-51's and future rebuilds.

When did you buy the stock take-offs from us? Generally anytime we sell take-offs (essentially used parts) they are as-is situation with no returns fwiw.

Where did you purchase the BP-51 from originally? Were they able to go to bat for you?

When did you buy the stock take-offs from us? Generally anytime we sell take-offs (essentially used parts) they are as-is situation with no returns fwiw.

Where did you purchase the BP-51 from originally? Were they able to go to bat for you?

I purchased the BP-51's from a reputable dealer, but they were not able to help. They referred me to ARB since my set was 5 years old. These shocks were sold as rebuildable, but when I initially tried to rebuild them ARB didn't offer the rebuild service. By the time they did, my shock had failed.

I'll PM you on the other issues. Thanks for getting back to me.

My truck will be down for some body damage repairs and I was thinking I'd take the opportunity to have my BP-51 shocks rebuilt. I am not having any issues with them and they've been on the truck for 3.5 years and 33,000 miles. Is it worth the effort and shipping cost (the rebuild is free) or should I just wait for a leak? My thought was to do this as PM at a time when I'm going to be down anyway for a few months.

Do it, mine are similar age. No leaks visible but one of the rears had lost all of the nitrogen charge at just under 3 years of age. ARB warrantied it.
At least check the charge if you can

Edit, If I remember, the charge should be 290 psi

Last edited:
Has anyone seen or done a Mud survey asking BP-51 owners to state milage at rebuild or mileage when leaks or other problems started? I can post a survey but wanted to make sure this hasn’t already been done. I searched but didn’t find any past survey.

Has anyone seen or done a Mud survey asking BP-51 owners to state milage at rebuild or mileage when leaks or other problems started? I can post a survey but wanted to make sure this hasn’t already been done. I searched but didn’t find any past survey.
I don't recall seeing one and support.

Mine have 20K and I’ve have done zero but drive on them. Leaks would be obvious but how would I know if I had low nitrogen?

I’m about to make some suspension changes on my camper and shocks have never been anything I’ve had to change so the rabbit hole has been deep.

Mine have 20K and I’ve have done zero but drive on them. Leaks would be obvious but how would I know if I had low nitrogen?

I’m about to make some suspension changes on my camper and shocks have never been anything I’ve had to change so the rabbit hole has been deep.
I don’t think there is any way without special tools to measure the N2 charge/pressure. I would think that if it’s low, the should would not dampen the springs and the ride would be pretty bouncy.

Slee and ARB told be BP-51s should be able to go 60-70k miles before a rebuild is needed.

Rebuild Poll:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom