Oil pan seal

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by IDave, Mar 30, 2004.

1. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    So I just went out to explore what appears to be a new oil leak in the underneath of my FJ40. As I am tracing things back, I decided to check the oil pan screw/bolts, and I realized they are all loose. I mean, like they aren't even finger tight! Now, I haven't messed down there in a year, since when I first put it on, so I don't understand why things would loosen up. The drips just showed up 2 nights ago. No screws are missing, but they seemed loose enough that it wouldn't surprise me.

Anyone run into this before? The gasket is OEM and cork, so I was wondering if it somehow shrank with freeze/thaw conditions. Seems weird.

2. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    We had a "pod" of oilpan gasket thieves come through here about a year ago. Someone said they were "sump grifters".
    They use old pan gaskets in some sort of Druid ritual.
    I put those little luggage locks on all of mine. And I sleep better. But I park my cruiser in the bedroom.
    It's a good thing you evidently interrupted them. They drink the oil, too. Sick bastards.

Ed ;)

3. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Hate it when those alien demons from outer space come around and do this s***. Wish I could train wolf-boy to keep them away, but I think he actually invites them in.

4. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    He probably guided them to your cruiser. Considering what a PITA replacing the pan gasket is, how 'bout some blue locktite and a retighten.
    I drove the open header to the muffelero shop today, now it is quiet. Kinda like leaving your dog at the vet to get cut.

I like your theory about the thermal cycling. Probably the culprit.
    BTW on retorqing the header, I started it up and let it get to normal operating temp let it cool and got at least a 1/4 trun on every stud/nut.
    See Ya,
    Ed :)

5. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    You check for leaks? I think I retorqued about 3 times before I quit messing with it. Never leaked that I knew of.

6. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

You have any neighbors who aren't real happy with you? Did your wife just open a new Life Ins policy on you so she could move back to Denver?

It might take a while to work loose, but once they do, they will lossen quickly by the driving vibration. Maybe those screws need to be torqued to a higher level? If they do, let me know, I fixed mine about 8 months ago

7. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    I use blue locktite on all pan bolts to prevent this situation...

Good luck!

-Steve

8. Herky

Herky

At least you got the oil pan off. I still haven't got mine off from like 3 weeks ago. I give up.

9. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    Drive a gasket scraper inbetween the pan gasket and the block, all the way around it, and it will come apart for you..

Good luck!

-Steve

10. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    I just tightened them up for today, to see if that stops the leak. I'll definitely go around with the blue locktite later.

11. sl33py

sl33py

how much of a PITA is it to swp out the gasket? mine is leaking like crazy and i want to change it. I have a 4pc cork replacement ready, should i use it or is there a good 1 pc gasket? I don't want to have to re-do it for a while. thanks!

rob

12. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=sl33py link=board=1;threadid=13961;start=msg130452#msg130452 date=1080768712]
    how much of a PITA is it to swp out the gasket? mine is leaking like crazy and i want to change it. I have a 4pc cork replacement ready, should i use it or is there a good 1 pc gasket? I don't want to have to re-do it for a while. thanks!

rob
    [/quote]

One piece Toyota gasket is the only way to go, anything else will only lead to sorrow, and REWORK!

Oh, and it really is not that much of a pain to swap out, just be persistant, and do not pry a whole lot, as you can damage the pan and it will not seal up properly again...seperate the gasket from the pan/block all the way around with a gasket scraper, and it should come off..leave a bolt on each side loose so that when it does let go, it does not drop on you or bounce off the floor...

Good luck!

-Steve

13. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    I used the 1 piece cork OEM. I can only think the 4 pieces are asking for trouble, but I guess it depends on how much gasket sealant you spread around.

Getting the oilpan off can be a major PITB, involving the OEM jack and the frame. If yours is leaking, then maybe not so bad. Do a search for discussions of the woes involved.

14. jkastning

jkastning

Don't use the 4pc gasket, I used one when I changed mine last - hard to line up and it's already leaking. Have a new OEM 1pc gasket waiting at the dealer to be picked up. My pan was stuck on pretty good so I used the bottle jack and it came off like magic. Second time around should be easier(hopefully).

Jarod

15. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew On the way there SILVER Star

I know Toyota doesn't reccomend this, but if you coat the new gasket with just a smear of gray Permatex, it not only seals better, but the next time it is much easier to remove. I do this with the diff cover gaskets as well. The Permatex will also allow you to "stick" the new gasket to the block, properly aligned in the U-groves fore and aft and then fit the pan and begin placing the small bolts. The torque spec on those bolts is very small, do not overtighten. I've done 3 pan gaskets and each time my hair gets full of oil dripping out of the block. It isn't a hard job, but it's pretty nasty. Make sure you have eye protection too. Oh-yeah-OEM gasket only, If I had done that the first time, I would have only done this job twice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.