Oil pan seal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just went out to explore what appears to be a new oil leak in the underneath of my FJ40. As I am tracing things back, I decided to check the oil pan screw/bolts, and I realized they are all loose. I mean, like they aren't even finger tight! Now, I haven't messed down there in a year, since when I first put it on, so I don't understand why things would loosen up. The drips just showed up 2 nights ago. No screws are missing, but they seemed loose enough that it wouldn't surprise me.

Anyone run into this before? The gasket is OEM and cork, so I was wondering if it somehow shrank with freeze/thaw conditions. Seems weird.

We had a "pod" of oilpan gasket thieves come through here about a year ago. Someone said they were "sump grifters".
They use old pan gaskets in some sort of Druid ritual.
I put those little luggage locks on all of mine. And I sleep better. But I park my cruiser in the bedroom.
It's a good thing you evidently interrupted them. They drink the oil, too. Sick bastards.

Ed ;)

Hate it when those alien demons from outer space come around and do this s***. Wish I could train wolf-boy to keep them away, but I think he actually invites them in.

He probably guided them to your cruiser. Considering what a PITA replacing the pan gasket is, how 'bout some blue locktite and a retighten.
I drove the open header to the muffelero shop today, now it is quiet. Kinda like leaving your dog at the vet to get cut.

I like your theory about the thermal cycling. Probably the culprit.
BTW on retorqing the header, I started it up and let it get to normal operating temp let it cool and got at least a 1/4 trun on every stud/nut.
See Ya,
Ed :)

You check for leaks? I think I retorqued about 3 times before I quit messing with it. Never leaked that I knew of.

You have any neighbors who aren't real happy with you? Did your wife just open a new Life Ins policy on you so she could move back to Denver?

It might take a while to work loose, but once they do, they will lossen quickly by the driving vibration. Maybe those screws need to be torqued to a higher level? If they do, let me know, I fixed mine about 8 months ago

I use blue locktite on all pan bolts to prevent this situation...

Good luck!

-Steve

At least you got the oil pan off. I still haven't got mine off from like 3 weeks ago. I give up.

Drive a gasket scraper inbetween the pan gasket and the block, all the way around it, and it will come apart for you..

Good luck!

-Steve

I just tightened them up for today, to see if that stops the leak. I'll definitely go around with the blue locktite later.

how much of a PITA is it to swp out the gasket? mine is leaking like crazy and i want to change it. I have a 4pc cork replacement ready, should i use it or is there a good 1 pc gasket? I don't want to have to re-do it for a while. thanks!

rob

[quote author=sl33py link=board=1;threadid=13961;start=msg130452#msg130452 date=1080768712]
how much of a PITA is it to swp out the gasket? mine is leaking like crazy and i want to change it. I have a 4pc cork replacement ready, should i use it or is there a good 1 pc gasket? I don't want to have to re-do it for a while. thanks!

rob
[/quote]

One piece Toyota gasket is the only way to go, anything else will only lead to sorrow, and REWORK!

Oh, and it really is not that much of a pain to swap out, just be persistant, and do not pry a whole lot, as you can damage the pan and it will not seal up properly again...seperate the gasket from the pan/block all the way around with a gasket scraper, and it should come off..leave a bolt on each side loose so that when it does let go, it does not drop on you or bounce off the floor...

Good luck!

-Steve

I used the 1 piece cork OEM. I can only think the 4 pieces are asking for trouble, but I guess it depends on how much gasket sealant you spread around.

Getting the oilpan off can be a major PITB, involving the OEM jack and the frame. If yours is leaking, then maybe not so bad. Do a search for discussions of the woes involved.

Don't use the 4pc gasket, I used one when I changed mine last - hard to line up and it's already leaking. Have a new OEM 1pc gasket waiting at the dealer to be picked up. My pan was stuck on pretty good so I used the bottle jack and it came off like magic. Second time around should be easier(hopefully).

Jarod

I know Toyota doesn't reccomend this, but if you coat the new gasket with just a smear of gray Permatex, it not only seals better, but the next time it is much easier to remove. I do this with the diff cover gaskets as well. The Permatex will also allow you to "stick" the new gasket to the block, properly aligned in the U-groves fore and aft and then fit the pan and begin placing the small bolts. The torque spec on those bolts is very small, do not overtighten. I've done 3 pan gaskets and each time my hair gets full of oil dripping out of the block. It isn't a hard job, but it's pretty nasty. Make sure you have eye protection too. Oh-yeah-OEM gasket only, If I had done that the first time, I would have only done this job twice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom