Oil filter options are many (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oldish thread. I’ll add Bosch ST3500 is the unit called out for the fj60. Also The mann company makes wix. Lastly the Denso 150-2066 is the newest part number for the 2F

Please contact me directly via phone or email in my signature.

:cheers:

Looks like you've removed that info from your signature. Are you back into the part biz or just liquidating your past inventory? :bounce:

Looks like you've removed that info from your signature. Are you back into the part biz or just liquidating your past inventory? :bounce:

I retired in June 2019 and went back to the corporate world into commercial aviation.

I've been aware of you going back into the corporate world, just thought (hoped) you might be doing a little moonlighting. You suggested to @brockdeck to contact you directly by phone or email in you signature. I was just pointing out that your signature no longer contains that info.

I've been aware of you going back into the corporate world, just thought (hoped) you might be doing a little moonlighting. You suggested to @brockdeck to contact you directly by phone or email in you signature. I was just pointing out that your signature no longer contains that info.

from 2017. :lol:

You can get the -41010’s from David Stedman at Japan4x4. The real Japanese ones.

Price is great; shipping, not so much. Pretty much doubles the cost of the part. But I don’t care. I love the -41010’s.

Thought I would add an additional filter...
Donaldson P169071, it lists as not having an anti-drainback valve, but the data sheet indicates it has one, I've been using them for the first time this year, with no significant issues.
@ nearly 20 dollars a filter, they are not cheap... Donaldson filters are superior are known for being quality products...

Donaldson P169071, it lists as not having an anti-drainback valve, but the data sheet indicates it has one, I've been using them for the first time this year, with no significant issues.
@ nearly 20 dollars a filter, they are not cheap... Donaldson filters are superior are known for being quality products...

Interesting, when I was looking for filters I emailed Donaldson on that exact one and even sent them a picture of one taken apart that appeared the to have a anti-drain back valve. Their response was “We have done some digging on this and no it does not have one. I wanted to confirm that before updating you.” So I went with the previously mentioned Cummins filter which they confirmed had the valve and I can get them at Cummins down the street.

Do you have photos of the disassemble filter? If you don’t hear engine rattle upon start up then it must have an anti drain back valve.

The main reason for running a high dollar, “high performance” filter is so you can run the oil longer. I’m sort of a filter geek myself and have settled on using the Toyota -yzzd3 on my 1fz-fe because they are easily had, inexpensive and are actually a good filter at least for one with cellulose media and they are constructed well.

I change the oil at 5k miles because that’s when my engine is about one quart low. Oil analysis always comes back with a gold star attached to it.

@baldilocks, there is no rattle at start up, I'll attach a pic of a new one, you can barely see the valve. Hard to get a good pic without actually taking one apart...but it's definitely in there.
IMG_20191026_121027.jpg

Do you have photos of the disassemble filter? If you don’t hear engine rattle upon start up then it must have an anti drain back valve.
This was the photo I found online and sent Donaldson when they still confirmed it didn't have one. I even asked if that had changed in the past as this image clearly shows one.....not sure what to say.

image003.png

It appears to be a larger filter.....? What sort of media did Donaldson use. I run a big synthetic Donaldson on my Dodge/Cummins. Good stuff.

Really? Mine used to rattle, ‘til I put the big Toy filter on. Didn’t put that together. Now I know.

Last edited:
Really? Mine used to rattle, ‘til I put the big Toy filter on. Now I know.
Ok. You are over paying for a filter that, apparently, there are no published specs for. The size of the filter had nothing to do with fixing your rattle. Unless you plan to operate in very dirt conditions and doing extended oil change intervals, the -yzzd3 is perfect as oil analysis has proven.

Ok. You are over paying for a filter that, apparently, there are no published specs for. The size of the filter had nothing to do with fixing your rattle. Unless you plan to operate in very dirt conditions and doing extended oil change intervals, the -yzzd3 is perfect as oil analysis has proven.
A bunch of the big made-in-Japan Toyota filters came with the truck. For some reason that escapes me, the one on the truck was some other brand. (Now I’m thinking it had no anti-drainback valve.) Always rattled on startup. After the filter change, no rattle. Did some other stuff at the same time, was never sure what killed the rattle. If the post above is right, it was the oil filter...

This is what I've been using the last couple of years (FWIW):

Purolator BOSS
Large: PBL30001 (bypass 8-16PSI)
Small: PBL10241 (bypass 12-15PSI)

Apparently the BOSS is designed to last longer using
synthetic media and filters to 99+% at 20 microns.

The two filters listed above are currently priced the same, around $11. Not bad, considering they appear to be top quality.

Will the larger filter fit a 1997 lc/lx without any mods?

I don’t know of any oil filter clearance differences for attaching this to early vs late 80 series, but the purolator website brings up the 30001 for a 91-95 lc and the 10241 for a 96-97 lc/lx

Last edited:
Larger filter, any brand equivalent, will fit unless you're using a 90 degree adapter. If you do have that adapter then the smaller filter will fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom