Oil filter options are many (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is there anywhere to get the larger Toyota filters or the 20004 Thailand, or even any Japanese filters? I want to stick with toyota if I can. The post about WIX blowing up an 80 makes me want to return my WIX.

I stock the classic large 15600-41010 filters... they are disco for this market. I bring them in from Japan.

Is this a filter you could recommend and how do I go about ordering them?

The only issue I have with filters is the anti drain valve. On the diesel the filter is upside down so anti drain is important but, I found on occasions the filter is empty when removed, regardless of brand including Toyota.

ATM moment it is Bosch or Millard whatever is in the workshop? If I felt the drain back valve could be relied on I would fit a bigger filter, if the valve does not hold properly the bigger filter simply means longer for it to refill, so no filtered oil pressure for a longer period, pays your money and takes your choice.

Regards

Dave

Is the WIx 51515 a bad oil filter? It's a good price, well regarded, the same size as a 20004 I think and made in USA.

Mann is average. Why do you continue to discuss average? Get a synthetic glass filter that was built with industrial requirements in mind and rest assured that your M1 is being filtered as delicately as you wipe your ......nose. :)

Is there anywhere to get the larger Toyota filters or the 20004 Thailand, or even any Japanese filters? I want to stick with toyota if I can. The post about WIX blowing up an 80 makes me want to return my WIX.

Think about how many people buy those filters. I am sure if blowing up is a common occurrence with those filters, I don't think they would be on the shelf after a class action suit.

To summarize the options so far. In no particular order.

Toyota 15600-41010
Toyota yzzd3
Toyota 90915-30002
Denso 11540-0161
Baldwin BD7029
Baldwin B2-HPG
(Wix 51368)*
(Wix 57254)*
(Wix 51515)*
Napa 1368
Napa Gold 1515
Motorcraft FL-1A

* See Wix filter thread and the dangers of using it.
Should we completely take Wix/Napa off the list?
Stick to Toyota filters?
Denso is the brand making Toyota filters, so same as Toyota.

We are left with Toyota, Baldwin and FTW Motorcraft (since it is cheap)?

Last edited:
A Cummins LF3487 also looks like a good choice. It has an anti-drainback valve, bypass @ 10psi, and synthetic media. It’s also a larger body, 96mm vs the 76mm of the Toyota 90915YZZD3 . It is absolute @ 30 micron better than a typical cellulose filter. It seems like a good option and can be had at lots of truck stops and Cummins parts houses.

Last edited:
To summarize the options so far. In no particular order.

Toyota 15600-41010
Toyota yzzd3
Toyota 90915-30002
Denso 11540-0161
Baldwin BD7029
Baldwin B2-HPG
Wix 51368
Wix 57254
Wix 51515
Napa 1368
Napa Gold 1515
Motorcraft FL-1A

Should we completely take Wix/Napa off the list?
Stick to Toyota filters?
Denso is the brand making Toyota filters, so same as Toyota.

We are left with Toyota, Baldwin and FTW Motorcraft (since it is cheap)?
And the list goes on and on:

Motorcraft FL-1A if I want white.
Toyota if I want black.

This is what I've been using the last couple of years (FWIW):

Purolator BOSS
Large: PBL30001 (bypass 8-16PSI)
Small: PBL10241 (bypass 12-15PSI)

Apparently the BOSS is designed to last longer using
synthetic media and filters to 99+% at 20 microns.

Last edited:
The D3 filters are a superior product in material used(silicone o-rings) and design. I would even venture to say, they are superior to the old, made in Japan, models....

A napa gold 15151 filter caused a low oil pressure situation in my lx450, and I've had piston slap on one cylinder ever since. it was driven at idle ( in neutral coasting into my parking lot at work).

Wix makes Napas filters. Wix quality control is not every single filter. it is only a very small number of a product run( per their regional rep) Wix does not stand behind their products. Theres a thread from a couple years ago documenting the issues @fj40z had with Wix when a filter failure grenaded his engine.
Others here have documented failures, and more importantly, Wix filters horrible customer service response.

I run the Thailand filter in all 3 of my trucks. it's not the huge wonderful can of old, but it will do.

Motorcraft FL-1A if I want white.
Toyota if I want black.

Yep. Been running the FLl1A on mine for about 15 years. Good filter, easy to find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom