"Oil" dash light means...? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
My 1995 HZJ75 Troopy does not have an oil pressure gauge, it has this light. What does it mean?

Low pressure?
Low volume?
Time to change?

oil.jpg

does your HZ have a float "plug on the side of the oil pan?

if it does disconnect it and see if anything changes. the lead/line in might need to have it's loop closed to notice a dash change

does your HZ have a float "plug on the side of the oil pan?

if it does disconnect it and see if anything changes. the lead/line in might need to have it's loop closed to notice a dash change
So are you saying this light is for oil level?
PS: I don't know if I have this plug on my oil pan - I can look tomorrow.

Google research seems to indicate that it is a low oil level warning light - not low oil pressure. I'll check the level tomorrow. (and for the plug)

@woytovich

Correct. This is your engine oil low level indicator that comes on when your oil falls below a certain threshold (in my experience, just above the L mark (cold) on the dipstick to allow for early enough mitigation).

If this light was functioning properly, it will come on when the oil level is low, and may go out temporarily when you take a corner a little fast, park on slight incline, or during warmup when it first start to come on.

Check your oil and add till you reach the F mark and it should go away. Otherwise, it's something else :)

In the parts diagram, that light is translated as "oil temp" for my cluster. Perhaps it varies from cluster to cluster.

lights1.JPG

Last edited:
Interesting. Could be the way they phrased it/translated it. Also curious how they labeled the first symbol simply as "Oil" with no other indication on what's that supposed to mean. Oh well.

My understanding is if the symbol depicted the little waves ~~~ under the oil can symbol (like it is in the OP picture) that would be a reference to the oil level, also evident by how the light operates, but I digest digress. 😊

I also looked at the 1991 70 series owners manual (the one in English posted on the cruiser cult site) but it doesn't show the oil can symbol with the waves under it. Only the oil can without the waves which means "stop and check". Not saying you are right or wrong. Toyota likes to mess with us I guess.

lights2.JPG

From my JDM owners manual. 1992 JZJ73 ZX model. I have the drippy oil can, not the swimming oil can.
IMG_6248.jpeg
IMG_6249.jpeg

It doesn't help to answer your question, but perhaps helps with more information.
I’d try to find an applicable owners manual with the swimming oil can and see what it says.

Wow,
So the light is your oil pressure, or level, or temp. Fantastic. 😆

Well. I went and took a picture of my cluster, and here, it is a low level indicator, since the oil pressure has it's own gauge. You would think they would settle on one symbol and move on but no. :)

PXL_20231209_032757048.jpg

The section of the cluster-meter for oil is the oil pressure. People always ask if their oil pressure being low is bad at idle, I'm sure you've seen the posts.

1702501410808.png

The separate light in question is for oil level as I understand it. It should only come on briefly when you first turn the key on. I would check the dipstick first to confirm and go from there.

Again I am not saying anyone is right or wrong here. If you look at the diagrams and do the translation....it comes out to "oil temperature" if you have the waves under it. I had this confirmed by a Japanese speaking boss as well when I was making some illustrations for my own notes.

However it seems like Toyota is using that exact same icon with the waves for simply saying to check your oil if it comes on.

FWIW I checked the dipstick and the oil level was low-ish. I added a quart and the light has not come on again (except at startup.)

FWIW I checked the dipstick and the oil level was low-ish. I added a quart and the light has not come on again (except at startup.)

Does your oil pan have a sensor? If so what kind of sensor? Just curious.

Agree 100%
For future threads this question should be answered.
Oil temp is a non issue, if you have a float then that would completely negate an oil pressure conflict between the 2. I’ve already made my conclusion, interested in hearing validation.
Lots of legitimate questions constantly thrown around threads these days that go unanswered. We should at least attempt to close out possibilities to assist future questions.
Navigating through Mud’s credible and circumstantial threads is becoming a task in itself.

Last edited:
Yes
"kind"... please clarify the question. All I know is that there is a wired sensor on the side of the oil pan.
Do you mean: is it temp or level?

Do you mean: is it temp or level?

Yeah. Was the sensor temp or level?

If adding the quart is what made the light go off and it was staying lit up until then then I guess that answers the question for all of us.

If the light went off before the quart was added….

But I guess it doesn’t really matter. All I know is if it came on for me, I am stopping to check things out. lol I can’t say I ever had mine come on in any of the cruisers I have owned or any car or truck I owned for that matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom