Oil all over engine compartment of '93 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last week we were driving and the oil light came on, the engine started tapping, and when I looked there was oil all over the engine compartment and it looks like it was coming from the cylinder cover seal. Had it towed into a shop and they replaced the seal. Drove it home and about five miles later the whole thing happened again. Although this time I can't tell where the oil is coming from. I called the shop and they said that they would come out and pick up the truck but they haven't done it yet. They have not been good about communicating. Anybody have any thoughts about what is wrong with our truck?

Plugged PCV and huge amounts of crankcase pressure caused by blowby? Probably not very likely but possible. Have you tried running it with the oil cap off to see if it’s building a bunch of pressure?

A front main seal can cover the entire engine bay pretty quickly with the pulley and fan throwing it everywhere

I just called the shop and supposedly the owner came by and look at the truck on Saturday when we were gone. He thinks we may have a cracked engine block but it was raining hard when he came by so he wants to come look at it again today. It hadn't been smoking or overheating it all before this happened. How likely is a cracked Block in a case like this?

^ I'm going to say no lol but that's between you and the shop.

Not very likely I haven't really seen any cases on here about a cracked block. How did he determine this

I've only seen one Japanese engine crack, and that was the result of it falling off an engine stand.

You said you see oil "All over" the engine and the issue was realized while driving.

With wind pressure and fan activity I would agree with an earlier post that it was something on the front end of the engine spraying into the fan. That would scatter, cover and smother your engine bay pretty good.

The issue I see with his "diagnosis" is how a crack only hit oil without striking water jackets. If you cracked your block I would expect to at least have some coolant loss.

He came out and took another quick look at it and pour the oil in the engine. It immediately started dripping from the front of the engine which was never turned on. He was on his way to pick up another car to bring into the shop and he told me he would call me back to discuss repair options and pricing but I haven't heard from him yet. He mentioned something about possibly having to take off the timing cover or something like that? I thought I was going to talk to him again right away so I didn't ask very good questions. What would cause the oil to run out when the engines not even turned on?

Check these:

0900c15280060c59.gif

Take pics of the front and the sides and the bottom, let us tell you what needs fixed, then find a different mechanic.

the oily puddle on the back right is power steering fluid leaking from the pump. The other kind of horizontal line in front of it is what leaked when the mechanic poured oil in it this morning.

The engine had been degreased after they finished the valve cover seal. It was driven about six miles after that.

Last edited:
As mentioned above, looks like the half moon plugs may not have been resealed
properly. Also, is that water/coolant mixed with oil sitting on top of the air filter
housing??

Does your overflow tank (radiator) have oil in it, or does the coolant in the radiator look like it has oil in it?? Does the oil in the engine look milky??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom