Oil all over engine compartment of '93 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The coolant looks fine. Not milky or soupy at all. And the level is fine. The two half Moons definitely look different from each other.

I just talked to somebody at the shop and they are saying it's the timing cover gasket. The price would be about $700 to fix it. If anybody can tell me how to take a picture of that so you guys can take a look at it it would be great. Also if that is the problem we aren't going to be able to afford the repair so the truck is going to be for sale soon. It's at our I was so anybody local is welcome to take a look. I am a couple hours north of Seattle.

Slap this shop up side the head.

They did NOT use a correct gasket on the valve cover. They used Permatex or some other slobber, and NOT a factory OEM gasket. You can see where it is oozing out in various places. There is both blue and black products being used on the VC replacement and it is ALL wrong!

It did NOT hold because the bolts on that seal do NOT clamp the gasket between two surfaces. There are bosses that STOP the gasket from being over-compressed.

Tell them you want your money back and you will take it elsewhere.

I would also do the half-moons this time because sure as s***, they screwed THOSE up too!

These people are idiots and you do NOT want them working on your LC.

The other areas that MAY be leaking are:

Distributor O-Ring
Oil pump cover (lower front of the engine)
Front Main Seal (lower front of engine behind harmonic balancer)

RUN AWAY FROM THESE IDIOTS!

Are your even remotely handy with a wrench?

so ya they didn't do the job correctly at all and didn't reseal the half moons. you need an actual valve cover gasket, they just pumped fipg into the groove in the valve cover where the gasket is supposed to sit. get the gasket from rockauto, reseal the moons and replace the sparkplug tube seals as well

Regardless of the shop repairing it incorrectly or not could the VC gasket have gone that bad just from driving to blow oil everywhere?
Usually it's just a leak

He said it did it before the repair which was the reason he took it in.

Regardless of the shop repairing it incorrectly or not could the VC gasket have gone that bad just from driving to blow oil everywhere?
Usually it's just a leak

there is no gasket there, that's why its leaking like that. the valve cover is going to have to get cleaned up to get all the fipg out of the groove so that the new gasket can seal

Usually it's just a leak

He said it did it before the repair which was the reason he took it in.
They did a horribly inadequate job of sealing the VC as well as one of the half moons.

It's wrong. Period. It ain't rocket surgery!

I talked to the mechanic. He is one of two brothers that owns the shop. He said that the PVC valve was bad and that that's why the gasket blew. He said there's no connection between that and the leak from the timing cover. I didn't ask him about the gasket because I'm still trying to decide what to do. I really want somebody else to look at this truck before I push him about it. I'm thinking of having it towed to a different shop tomorrow. They charged me $34 for a gasket but that's not what it looks like to me. Thanks to all of you for pointing that out! There is another shop not too far away that some of our neighbors have recommended. I am going to call them in the morning.

I talked to the mechanic. He is one of two brothers that owns the shop. He said that the PVC valve was bad and that that's why the gasket blew. He said there's no connection between that and the leak from the timing cover. I didn't ask him about the gasket because I'm still trying to decide what to do. I really want somebody else to look at this truck before I push him about it. I'm thinking of having it towed to a different shop tomorrow. They charged me $34 for a gasket but that's not what it looks like to me. Thanks to all of you for pointing that out! There is another shop not too far away that some of our neighbors have recommended. I am going to call them in the morning.
Please make sure they have done engine work on Toyota land cruiser and that you specify OEM parts, NOT aftermarket such as NAPA or O'Reillys.

Even if you have buy the parts and ship them in.

We can help you order what you need.

Hook up with some local club folks. That's important.

0528191831d.jpg
0528191833a.jpg

The hole missing the bolt is for a bracket that holds tranny cable, on the next hole which is holding bracket for the pipe you are missing a major ground wire. The timing cover is not a gasket it is sealed with fipg, either the head or the oil pans have to come off, pretty big job, for 700 bucks they will prob lose there ass and don’t know what they are doing. If head comes off you are doing gasket, at minimum, if they don’t torque head bolts correctly then there goes your engine. If pans get pulled more fipg for those. I’d take it to real cruiser shop or tell us where the oil pours out. Regardless take it away from there. Plus you are missing a belt and running cogged belts, this though is the least of your issues

If you are two hours north of Seattle then call Torfab.

Last edited:
I also did a search for the part number shown. @flintknapper is correct.

They are pulling the wool over your eyes. Just think what a great job they would have done and how much they would charge if you had a cracked block?!?!?

You don't BTW.

How much did they charge for that $415???

Total BS for half-assed work.

This is exactly why I do my own work.

I truly feel sorry for those that must rely on a shop to get a vehicle fixed. Then they wonder why they all get the reputation they have. There's a long line at the good ones for a reason.

For $400 you could buy every almost every tool you need to work on your LC. Think about that.

Take it to a reputable Toyota shop (torfab maybe?) and have them fix it correctly, they might be willing to document the improper repair by the previous mechanic and send the bill for the correct repair to the s*** head mechanic who ripped you off.

I also did a search for the part number shown. @flintknapper is correct.

They are pulling the wool over your eyes. Just think what a great job they would have done and how much they would charge if you had a cracked block?!?!?

You don't BTW.

How much did they charge for that $415???

Total BS for half-assed work.

This is exactly why I do my own work.

I truly feel sorry for those that must rely on a shop to get a vehicle fixed. Then they wonder why they all get the reputation they have. There's a long line at the good ones for a reason.

For $400 you could buy every almost every tool you need to work on your LC. Think about that.

Just to clarify, there was a miscommunication between the owner of the shop and the person that I talked to on the phone he told me that we might have a cracked block. The owner never thought that.

We got a recommendation for another mechanic from a neighbor who has an 80 series. We're making arrangements to get our truck towed into that shop. The owner work for Toyota for over 20 years and has a lot of experience with Land Cruisers. I will let you all know what he says. Thank you for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom