Oil all over engine compartment of '93 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pictures - They create solutions.

If there is a gasket in there, it is swimming in goop. This isn't an older union made car with sloppy tolerances that you can just use gasket maker at will.

. They charged me $34 for a gasket but that's not what it looks like to me.

It's possible there is a VC gasket in there (might be the blue color showing) but it doesn't require a sealant of any kind. The valve cover is not designed to be pulled down completely against the head (there are stand-offs that regulate the compression amount of the gasket).

The uninitiated often think the cover should be farther down and either tighten the bolts until they break or figure it needs silicone. Both actions being incorrect.

You really won't know what they did until you pull the Valve Cover. I always remove and reseal both 'half moons' when removing the Valve Cover whether they are leaking or not. Just takes a few minutes to clean them up and reseal.

Then there are several other areas at the front and side of the engine that can leak significantly.

Let us know what you find.

We got some bad news yesterday. Mike at Superb Import Service in Mount Vernon looked at it yesterday and he says the engine is shot. I wish I'd known about him before. He comes highly recommended and is extremely knowledgeable about Land Cruisers and easy to talk to. He put 5 quarts of oil in it, turned it on and oil was literally spraying all over the place from a leak in the front right part of the engine. He said it could indeed be the timing cover but he didn't pursue exactly where the leak was coming from because the engine sounded damaged.

I am going to contact the owner of the shop that replaced the valve cover gasket and discuss the situation with him and see if he's willing to do anything for us. Since we paid $340 for that repair and drove it less than 10 Mi after that before this major leak became apparent.

At this point we are going to have to focus on selling it. Hopefully to a member of The Forum here! I really appreciate everyone's help here so much! Wish we could afford to keep it!

Could you post up photos and/or a video of the engine running showing the leak. It would help us all to see what's happened to your engine.

Could you post up photos and/or a video of the engine running showing the leak. It would help us all to see what's happened to your engine.
Yeah, I would like to hear the damaged sound. These motors are pretty robust and bottom end problems would seem unlikely in such a short drive, unless something was seriously wrong before this all happened. There is 2 gallons of oil in there and it seems hard to believe that that much oil could have sprayed out of a leak in the timing cover in that distance.

If it is toast, just buy a used motor and jam it in unless you want to break out a significant number the large denominations of American dollars.

I will see what I can do about pictures and a video. We can't afford to put in a new engine so hopefully I can get some local people from this group to take a look at it soon. My family had a lot of unexpected bills this winter and we just can't afford any type of major repair now. Please feel free to tag anybody in Washington state who you think might be interested in buying the truck or curious about taking a look at it.

I will see what I can do about pictures and a video. We can't afford to put in a new engine so hopefully I can get some local people from this group to take a look at it soon. My family had a lot of unexpected bills this winter and we just can't afford any type of major repair now. Please feel free to tag anybody in Washington state who you think might be interested in buying the truck or curious about taking a look at it.

So is this a '93 or '94?

I would sit on that truck until you can afford to either fix it or install a used engine from someone like @slow95z if the body and interior are in as good of shape as the underside of that truck is.

That looks like a nice truck and I think you might be surprised at the pricing on a used motor. As a parts truck, it has a decent value and even more if you are willing to part it out yourself, but as a running and driving vehicle, it's worth far more. These are expensive and sought after cars these days and that one looks pretty solid, except for the obvious fly in the current ointment.

As others have said, they aren't that hard to work on and even a decent set of Harbor Freight grade tools and maybe renting a motor pulling stand could get you well on your way to tackling this yourself. We can help. All it takes is your time and I would say in the $1500 range, all in, tools included to buy, ship, and install a used motor on your own. That would turn a $2000 parts rig into a $8000 asset.

Last edited:
There is a main oil galley plug, low, passenger side, front of the block, at the edge of the timing cover. A couple have blown out.

Is that fixed with a threaded plug (?tap the hole) or small freeze plug with Red Loctite??

Last edited:
Yes I do, have sent engines and axles all over the country.
Well, there you go.

I can vouch for @slow95z and the quality and care that he puts into his parts business and the Fastenal shipping method is a fantastic way to ship large items affordably.

I would go that route when funds allow if it was my rig.

So is this a '93 or '94?

I would sit on that truck until you can afford to either fix it or install a used engine from someone like @slow95z if the body and interior are in as good of shape as the underside of that truck.

That looks like a nice truck and I think you might be surprised at the pricing on a used motor. As a parts truck, it has a decent value and even more if you are willing to part it out yourself, but as a running and driving vehicle, it's worth far more. These are expensive and sought after cars these days and that one looks pretty solid, except for the obvious fly in the current ointment.

As others have said, they aren't that hard to work on and even a decent set of Harbor Freight grade tools and maybe renting a motor pulling stand could get you well on your way to tackling this yourself. We can help. All it takes is your time and I would say in the $1500 range, all in, tools included to buy, ship, and install a used motor on your own. That would turn a $2000 parts rig into a $8000 asset.
I love the idea of doing this but I'm not sure if it's financially feasible in our situation. It's the only vehicle that we have which makes the whole thing complicated.

I love the idea of doing this but I'm not sure if it's financially feasible in our situation. It's the only vehicle that we have which makes the whole thing complicated.

I have a running 1998 Chrysler T&C and a running 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee I'll deliver to your house for that truck delivered to my house.

Seriously.

Double Post

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom