Builds Ochenta sin Nombre Moves to San Diego (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ISSPRO EV2 EGT and boost gauges in and operating!

Drilled and tapped the exhaust manifold, then threaded in the thermocouple
egtboost1.jpg

Did the same with the boost sensor
egtboost2.jpg

Fabricated (using that term very loosely) ABS gauge pods and wedged them in between the dash and windshield. A more permanent/elegant mounting solution will come later, but for now this should work.
egtboost3.jpg

While the hood was open, I also threw in the H4 LED bulbs I picked up on a whim (OPT7 Fluxbeam LED...bought from Amazon)
headlights1.jpg

Haven't had a chance to test in the dark, but first impressions are good. They plugged right in and are certainly more white than the OEM bulbs.
headlights2.jpg

A couple small updates

Cranked up the boost a bit with a simple boost controller. Combining ~14 PSI with the 3" exhaust may not result in winning too many drag races, but it does feel better and you can hear the turbo spooling up a lot more than before (street cred coming my way). Need more time to see the impact if any on EGTs.
boostcontroller.jpg

Also had the windows tinted to cut down on glare and heat and to provide a bit of privacy. Chose 18% rear, 35% fronts. Pretty happy with the results and increased comfort.
tinted.jpg

Next up:

1. Tires...33s on order
2. Lift/suspension...research/decision-making in progress
3. Tie rod ends...noticed some cracked rubber, but will wait until the lift is on

Had the new tires mounted up and hit some local trails to try them out. Options are somewhat limited in 15" and I didn't feel like making a wheel decision now, so thought I'd give the General Grabber X3 tires a try.

Went with 33x10.5-15
tires1.jpg

Pretty aggressive tread
tires2.jpg

Headed up a local trail to get them dirty.
tires3.jpg

So far so good. For sure these make a bit more noise on the road, but the truck is pretty noisy in general, so not an issue. Feels a bit slower from a stop, but I assume I'll get used to that after a few days. Looking forward to more trail time and seeing how these things do aired down.

Suspension bits installed! With a couple small glitches, everything in the Icon Stage 1 3" kit went in pretty easily. Many thanks to @Dan2722 for lending me the 12T jack stands and for recommending the Icons. Couldn't have done the installation without those taller jack stands.

Came home from the quick trail run mentioned above and found a pile of boxes goodies had been delivered
lift1.jpg

Front springs for comparison. OEM on the left, shiny new Icon on the right
lift3.jpg

The holes in Icon's anti-sway bar spacer are spaced a bit wide. Maybe it is a JDM thing. Will need to figure out a solution.
lift2.jpg

All clean and shiny!
lift5a.jpg

End result: The front went up 2.75", the rear 3.25" (the truck is more level than how it appears in this pic)
lift4.jpg

The truck feels super-smooth on the road. Very nice! Obviously anxious to see how it does on dirt.

Next up:

1. Caster correction bushings (bushing and press tools came with the Icon kit)
2. Tie rod ends from @cruiseroutfit
3. Brakes pads, rotors on the front

Looking good Jeff! Glad the taller jack stands helped out.

That reminds me I need to order new tie rod ends.

Chipping away at some necessities

Did the front pads, rotors, seals, bearing repack and general cleanup
brakes.jpg

Installed a cheap transmission cooler (later straightened a bit) until I can gather the parts needed for an OEM cooler
trannycooler.jpg

Icon caster correction bushings in, new tie rod ends from @cruiseroutfit , and a Tough Dog steering stabilizer for good measure (Thanks @reevesci for the quick turnaround on this one!)
tdss.jpg

To celebrate all of the above and just for fun, I took the truck into the wilderness above San Diego, pulled out my chair, and enjoyed an adult beverage!
finallyondirt.jpg

The truck is feeling really solid overall. Need to figure out why the AC works only here and there, track down a small diesel leak on startup, and maybe get the stereo figured out (or at least use the gaping hole in the dash for something else). There's always something more to work on, but I guess that's part of the fun.

Not satisfied with the light pattern coming out of the LED bulbs in original RHD housings, I opted to do an HID retrofit. Following others here, I ordered some Euro spec Depo housings from eBay a bunch of kit from The Retrofit Source (TRS) and started baking.

Bits and bobs to be installed
HID1.jpg

Morimoto D2S 4.0 projector in place in new Depo housing
HID2.jpg

Buttoned up, looking all chrome and shiny, dare I say modern?
HID3.jpg

On for the first time. Took some wrangling to get them aimed correctly, but they were pretty close right out of the workshop (my dining room)
HID4.jpg

With the H4 high/low now HID, I added an LED H1 bulb where the fogs would normally be on a JDM truck and now have a double brights with a crazy amount of light, all controlled with the factory stalk. And, the original fog light wiring (triggered from the OEM dash switch) is there waiting to be hooked up to a light bar or other auxiliary lights.
HID5.jpg

Nice work on the lights! One of the best upgrades I have done to the cruiser. The projectors just make a world of difference. In my old fog light location I got the brightest set of leds that was offered by the retrofit source and the outcome is just awesome! I definitely do not want to do this again. The high low beam is through the projector and I used a bow e46 shroud.

full

Great looking truck @ZeGerman !

@thedoughboy , I didn't do much modification to fit the TRS kit. Just a few tweaks. Here's what I bought:

1. Depo Euro housings from eBay
2. TRS Bi-Xenon D2S 4.0 projectors
3. E46-R shrouds
4. 50 watt D2S XB ballasts
5. D2S XB 4500K HID bulbs
6. MotoControl H4/9003 harness
7. OPT7 Fluxbeam LED bulbs

Here's the projector set in the Depo housing with the high beam wiring coming through an existing notch/hole.
HID6.jpg

Other than removing the clip that holds a conventional bulb in place there's really no modification required. On my 100 series, I had to spend a ton of time with the Dremel to get projectors to fit and align correctly. Very easy on these housings. I left off the silicone ring/washer TRS supplies to go between the projector. Leaving it off gave me an addition millimeter or two between the projector and the glass of the Depos without further modification. Seemed a lot easier than alternatives I'd read about. So far no issues.

On the shrouds, I had to grind down the circled bits for them to fit on the projectors. Used silicone as others recommended to hold these in place.
HID7.jpg

Also had to hack off the tab circled below to get my grill back on. Maybe a JDM thing?
HID8.jpg

Other than that, no modifications I can think of. I was actually surprised how easy this was, especially for the major improvement in performance.

Completed two fun projects at once this weekend...stereo/speaker and a ham radio installations.

Went with a JVC KD-X330BTS paired with Pioneer speakers making this truck feel ultra-modern for not a ton of money. Then, convinced my dad to hand me down an Icom ID-5100A he wasn't using. Total cost for all of the above: ~US$250 plus a day messing around in the garage running wires, crimping, testing, and drinking adult beverages to keep hydrated.

First up was a set of 4 Pioneer speakers (rears pictured below) to replace the crusty originals
stereoham4.jpg

Out with the old...
stereoham2.jpg

Finished product
stereoham5.jpg

Unplugged the OEM amp (the lower two harnesses on the left behind the glove box)
stereoham1.jpg

While the dash was apart, I discovered this (tiny and now bypassed) speaker and thought it would be a good location for the ham speaker
stereoham6.jpg

Function over form, right? Fit easily, is completely hidden, and provides plenty of sound.
stereoham7.jpg

Used an antenna mount I bought for my 100 series a while back. Mounted to an existing bolt and allowed me to easily thread in a Diamond NMO antenna.
stereoham8.jpg

Decided to mount the Icom 5100 under the JVC unit mostly out of laziness. Shorter wire runs, no need to extend the mic and face plate cables, etc. Had to flip it over to give room behind for the antenna connector. Need to find a more permanent home for the Icom face plate and get a mic hanger, but otherwise the installation went pretty well...and everything even works!

Almost done.
stereoham9.jpg

Between the HIDs, bluetooth, hands free calling, iPhone connectivity, and the potential for D-Star communications, this old HDJ81 just landed in the 21st century. Well, aside from the lack of airbags, ABS, OBDII, traction control, and maybe a few other nice to haves!

Well, aside from the lack of airbags, ABS, OBDII, traction control, and maybe a few other nice to haves!

You don't want that crap. Its just more stuff that can brake and more electronics that can go wrong. You have a fully user serviceable vehicle in your possession.

I had the same JVC head unit. I think you will be very pleased with it. It just works flawlessly, especially with an iPhone.

Good cal on the HAM speaker location. Im definitely copying that one. I was just sitting in the cruiser wondering where to put it.

Any more info on the upgraded amp? I just removed everything from that location and was thinking of putting all the communications gear in there.

I love the icom!!

As far as the icom faceplate there are a few good solutions for this. My favorite solution is to put it high up on the windshield using a mirror riser. You can attach a ram ball mount to it. Just need to run the wires through the A-pillar. I have ripped out my old headliner and installed the solid piece from a 97. Pain in the a$$ but well worth it. It comes with a panel for the Apillar that you can remove to cleanly run wires.

If you look at some youtube videos from the expedition overland guys on how their rigs are set up, you can see the mirror risers in action. They have a couple rigs with the ICOM as well as an Spod. It does not obstruct their vision and is very accessible.

Mirror Riser

Nice speakers... I ended up using the three way version just had the cur the face of the plastic ring. Nice work on the ride!

Trying to keep the seats in decent condition, and keep up with @bushdoctor , I decided to get some Escape Gear seat covers. One call to @Equipt and they were on the way. Thanks, Paul!

seatcovers1.jpg

Perfect fit!
seatcovers2.jpg

Went on a drive up Mt. Otay to test them out. So far so good!
seatcovers3.jpg

When I got home a bunch of parts from @beno arrived, so I decided to start on the timing belt replacement.

Took more than a Harbor Freight adjustable wrench to hold the cam, but eventually the cam timing pulley was off
timingbelt1.jpg

While I was in there...water pump, radiator hoses, tensioner, etc. Surprisingly straight forward...
timingbelt2.jpg

...until I broke a bolt installing the valve cover of all things.
timingbelt3.jpg

Success at last! Even applied the sticker for posterity!
timingbelt4.jpg

I'm loving this build @perrobravo . And those seat covers are the real deal - Canvas texture ideal in the bush. Bushdoctor approved.

Trying to keep the seats in decent condition, and keep up with @bushdoctor , I decided to get some Escape Gear seat covers. One call to @Equipt and they were on the way. Thanks, Paul!

seatcovers1.jpg

Perfect fit!
seatcovers2.jpg

Went on a drive up Mt. Otay to test them out. So far so good!
seatcovers3.jpg

When I got home a bunch of parts from @beno arrived, so I decided to start on the timing belt replacement.

Took more than a Harbor Freight adjustable wrench to hold the cam, but eventually the cam timing pulley was off
timingbelt1.jpg

While I was in there...water pump, radiator hoses, tensioner, etc. Surprisingly straight forward...
timingbelt2.jpg

...until I broke a bolt installing the valve cover of all things.
timingbelt3.jpg

Success at last! Even applied the sticker for posterity!
timingbelt4.jpg

Shoot! I live right by mount otay! You should pm your number for future trails!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom