SPAL Auxiliary Fan Install (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thedoughboy

SILVER Star
Threads
I have been wanting to add an auxiliary fan to help with my AC system when driving at slow speeds with a heat soaked engine. I did a little research and found a 12" paddle blade pusher fan with a 20amp motor. It is made by SPAL and was right around $100 delivered. Initial impressions are:
  • very well built
  • pushes a lot of air
  • fits nicely in the factory location
  • minor bracket fabrication is required
Required supplies:
  • SPAL fan, Part #30102025 Type VA01-AP70/LL-36S (Pusher)
  • SPAL 0.75 inch mounting kit with 8" straps, Part #30130011
  • Rear Defrost Switch
  • Relay SPDT is what I used. Although, one could use a SPST.
  • Enough wire, solder, shrink wrap and connectors to complete the job.
1.jpg

Specifications for the fan. This model comes in puller (36A) and pusher (36S) types.
30102025_2038_SPEC.jpg

Backside of Rear Defrost Switch:

6.jpg

spal install.jpg

Last edited:
Wiring Diagram:

The Rear Defrost Switch provides the GROUND for the relay when the switch is "ON".
spal install_0003.jpg

The fan almost fits in all of the existing factory fan mounts. I purchased the SPAL mounting bracket kit, #30130011. It comes with 4 8" straps. The longest I used was about 1.75 inches. However, it was nice having some options.

8.jpg

0405161618.jpg

Last edited:
Results?

I (most likely) won't need the fan until this summer. So, no results yet. I will post back here once I have had an opportunity to test it out.

My '93 overheats under load when the AC is running, and it overheats from load w/heatsink. I did the fan clutch w/10k CST but that didnt fix the issue so I am moving to 30k and going to see how it goes. Very interested to see your results.

My '93 overheats under load when the AC is running, and it overheats from load w/heatsink. I did the fan clutch w/10k CST but that didnt fix the issue so I am moving to 30k and going to see how it goes. Very interested to see your results.

The auxiliary fan is to increase air flow through the AC condenser. Most threads I have read indicate it does little for engine temps. I suppose it can't hurt but I am not installing it to reduce my engine temps. I have gone down the engine temp worm hole. A few things I would suggest is to:
  • use an OEM t-stat
  • make sure your radiator is in good shape.
  • Identify which fan clutch you are using and adjust appropriately. I have the blue clutch. I tried 10K, then 20K and now 30K. 30K (which is probably more like 25K because of mixing lower viscosity) seems to be good.
However, if my engine is heat soaked and I hit traffic, or am driving slow, my AC can struggle. I am hoping my aux fan will be just enough of an increase in air flow to allow the AC to work properly.

Cool mod! Also - it was weird seeing your handwriting as it looks nearly identical to mine. Trippy!

I put a 100 series fan on my offroad rig at the same place you put yours. I found that it will drop the temp 5 degrees very quickly.

I put 2,10" fans on my 80 fit perfect helps with this az heat great for low speeds ,I tied into my rear Defog relay I don't need that in AZ.

Hi, this fan install looks great. Did you ever post a picture or the "minor bracket modification"? This seems a more economical solution to the JDM fan option, if the install is as strait forward then i cant see a need to go the JDM route. Am i wrong here?

Did this weekend. Took 20 minutes for the fan. Longer for wiring as I got fancy and used a relay with my auxillary fusebox and relay mount.

Good to hear the fan is pretty much straight forward 1 :banana:

Post up your alternative wiring for others.:cool:

Glad this post inspired others to seek out @LandCruiserPhil 's product. He builds some great stuff. At the time of my install I was unaware of his kit.

I have been kind of off the grid the last week. I just used my AUX fan in slow traffic with a heat soaked engine. I definitely noticed an increase in performance by the AC. The AC pumped out cold air which made me and my dog happy. It should be stated (again) it really does not impact engine temps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom