OBD II iPone App (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

These apps are so cool. Trouble is, I'd like to monitor parameters while I'm driving and not just pull trouble codes when the CEL turns on. To this end, I don't know if the typical smart phone batteries would last a long time for this application. It seems like for $60, an Ultragauge can sit in your vehicle and give you tons of info w/o worrying about BT connection or battery usage issues. Just my .02 cents worth!!!

I'm looking at these as well. I have a mount for my phone that also charges it. Works great when using my GPS app (Navigon). I also would like to hear from others who have used these. Seems to offer a lot more options than a scan gauge and it's upgradable and one less thing to clutter the dash of the interior. That's what I love about these phones they do everything. My 0.02 is get a good mount that charges and then you can have everything in one place.

DevToaster hasn't updated their software for two years now - that should tell you something about what kind of support you're likely to get. Won't work with an iPhone 4S at all. You'll spend $40 on the app and then you're looking at the more expensive versions of the OBD-II dongle that is supported by Apple. These are NOT the $20 ELM327's you see on eBay.

I think you're set on using your iPhone or iPad for this, you're better off going with the BlueDriver setup. The support and development there at least is trying to stay current and improve. The downside is, it adds up to a lot of $$$ to get it all.

I gave up and spent $70 for the UltraGauge.....

DevToaster hasn't updated their software for two years now - that should tell you something about what kind of support you're likely to get. Won't work with an iPhone 4S at all. You'll spend $40 on the app and then you're looking at the more expensive versions of the OBD-II dongle that is supported by Apple. These are NOT the $20 ELM327's you see on eBay.

I think you're set on using your iPhone or iPad for this, you're better off going with the BlueDriver setup. The support and development there at least is trying to stay current and improve. The downside is, it adds up to a lot of $$$ to get it all.

I gave up and spent $70 for the UltraGauge.....

I was just going to order the Scan Gauge for $159.00
thanks for posting this.. I just ordered the Ultra Gauge..kind of a no brainer for the price

cheers

Lou

I own both the SG and UG and prefer the ultra anyday. Its a little harder to setup but the display makes up for it. The price too.
Also for bluetooth gauges, if u have a android phone the torque app is very good and only $5. The bt/obd plugin is only $25 off ebay

No one running a Bluetooth setup?

If this was Android it would be a different story. I get the whole wanting to reduce clutter thing, but with the price of the an Ultragauge it just doesn't make sense to use an iphone app. Apple has made it so you can't use a cheapo bluetooth transmitter, so any setup you use is going to be more expensive than the ultragauge. Plus, if you use your phone for music or gps or phone calls that leaves little time to monitor gauges.

^^ I agree. I have had Rev on my iPhone for a year or so now with the intention of running a Bluetooth connection or even a fairly pricey wifi setup to keep everything clean. Plus I liked the idea of the iPhone's app because I thought the gauges out there weren't as visually appealing to me. I ended up getting an Ultragauge for Christmas randomly and am so happy with it, there is no way i'd now put money towards Rev and the connection to run it. The UG is actually pretty slick looking and is nicely designed I thought. Just my experience! Good luck

Torque on Android / Kiwi Bluetooth Adapter

Works very well and you can upload your track to Torques server, then overlay it on google maps for free.

Hawker :cheers:

I use Torque with a bluetooth adapter. It's very cool, especially while towing. I also always have a scan tool. I've been able to help a few folks out on the trail where I am just not going to carry a full scan tool.

Works very well and you can upload your track to Torques server, then overlay it on google maps for free.

Hawker :cheers:

x3-4; I have this setup in my Scion (for no other reason that I like techy things). Works great.

Lots of good information...has anyone used the PLX Kiwi? I believe that is the route I think that I might go. There were quite a few reviews online with only a couple of them negative. If there is any experience from a fellow mudder, that would be excellent.

Lots of good information...has anyone used the PLX Kiwi? I believe that is the route I think that I might go. There were quite a few reviews online with only a couple of them negative. If there is any experience from a fellow mudder, that would be excellent.
I don't think you could go wrong with the PLX but not sure why you would want to spend more money and limit your phone to that use. For the price of the Ultra and the fact I use my iPhone for music.. greater flexibility

Lou

That's the one I have. The cable is 6' long so is is a little to long IMHO. Operationally it works great. Torque connects perfectly every time.

Hawker

Thanks Hawker, that is great to hear. While plugged in, are you able to close the fuse cover? Where do you put the emitter while using?

Thanks Hawker, that is great to hear. While plugged in, are you able to close the fuse cover? Where do you put the emitter while using?

x2 ^^^

Routing

In order to close the cover, I removed the two screws that hold the port to the fuse panel, gently pulled the plug forward and rotated it downward. I then routed the plug end of the cable up from the bottom of the dash into the fuse area and plugged into the port. I then routed the cable over to the side of the dash and pushed it back behind the trim between the door post and the dash and just laid the emitter on top of dash so I could operate the little on/off switch.

That worked great until I needed to let a friend borrow the emitter. I then put everything back together and now just plug the thing in and leaving the fuse cover off. It sticks out enough that you could bump it pretty good if you aren't careful.

You really don't need to run the thing all the time. But a new toy is fun to play with, but one thing is certain, it is such a cool gadget, that it is pretty distracting :eek: to use while you are driving. I found myself messing around with it way to much.

Works great though. I installed a new blue hub fan because the coolant temp was just a to high, and you could instantly see the results of the new fan.

Hawker

In order to close the cover, I removed the two screws that hold the port to the fuse panel, gently pulled the plug forward and rotated it downward. I then routed the plug end of the cable up from the bottom of the dash into the fuse area and plugged into the port. I then routed the cable over to the side of the dash and pushed it back behind the trim between the door post and the dash and just laid the emitter on top of dash so I could operate the little on/off switch.

That worked great until I needed to let a friend borrow the emitter. I then put everything back together and now just plug the thing in and leaving the fuse cover off. It sticks out enough that you could bump it pretty good if you aren't careful.

You really don't need to run the thing all the time. But a new toy is fun to play with, but one thing is certain, it is such a cool gadget, that it is pretty distracting :eek: to use while you are driving. I found myself messing around with it way to much.

Works great though. I installed a new blue hub fan because the coolant temp was just a to high, and you could instantly see the results of the new fan.

Hawker
Gotcha...I believe I have seen a pic like that you described somewhere here on mud with the hub turned down. Thanks for all your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom