NOW WITH A 0-70 Launch! Well i did a thing.. my 97 lx build. distributorless/turbo/h151f (1 Viewer)

how many waygu beef powers and torques did project waygu beef make?

• 100awhp!

• 200awhp!!

• 300awhp!!!

• 400awhp!!!!

• 500awhp!!!!!

• 600awhp!!!!!!?

Results are only viewable after voting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@audi2nr - What kind of temps are you seeing for IAT2 and the intercooler reservoir?
post #261 has some data from on the dyno. i posted 2 screen shots of my laptop, right in the center you will find pre intercooler iat, post intercooler iat as well as intercooler water tank temp. the first run that screen shot was 18 psi and i took a screen shot at the max values i saw. i have yet to really log any other temps lately, just been driving it, but watching my gauges in cab my post intercooler temps in the winter are always in the 60-70's and when its real snowy and cold out it will go lower. once it starts to get real hot out i will be doing more temp logging.

Nothing too cool but got one of these lil guys.
20230427_103254.jpg

20230427_103308.jpg

So after i purchased the lx and before i tore down the engine i was noticing some oil collecting in the coolant overflow tank. I didn't think too much of it as i knew i was going to rebuild the engine and replace the head gasket and most likely take care of this internal oil leak even though i did not verify where the oil was coming from, no oil sample no combustion gas check. Well after a few thousand miles after the build during a check over everything i noticed the oil again collecting in the overflow tank and was starting to get worried, well the one thing i did not replace on the build was the oil cooler. literally everything on the engine was new except for this, i only cleaned out the cooler and cover as both looked good, and for some reason i thought the cooler and cover were discontinued. well luckly for me that's not the case. I ordered a new cover and cooler from partsouq and a few days later i had it here. before i threw on the cooler i wanted to see how quickly oil was collecting in the overflow, so i cleaned it out and within 100 miles oil was collecting pretty quickly. Next up was replacement of the cooler, i was almost dreading having to do the work after all this work already not to mention all the extra turbo stuff in the way to gain access to the cooler. I removed my intercooler, piping and turbo compressor housing and tried to sneak out the cooler from under the front exhaust manifold, well that did not work, then i removed the right side engine mount and tried to get the mount bracket out but i couldn't get the bracket out so i had to remove the forward manifold it self, removing the manifold wouldn't have been possible had i not been able to pull all the studs out. once the studs were out the manifold came out then i was able to get the cooler out. Install was reverse of removal and after an oil change a few hundred miles we are without oil in the coolant.

20230502_112004.jpg

20230503_130219.jpg

20230504_100902.jpg

20230504_113712.jpg

20230503_130246.jpg

I've been wanting to do some hot weather testing and the last few days have been hot and on the hottest day so far we saw around 86F, so i went out and did some driving in traffic, on the freeway and then letting the truck heat soak to test out the intercooler setup and air conditioning, so far i am pleased with what i saw but there is always room for improvement! First off intake air temps, the chyna air to water setup seems to be working decently for what it cost, roughly 600$ and i am seeing 70% cooling efficiency in the intercooler setup. things that are hurting the system are the open element filter sucking in hot engine bay air, the 2.5 gallon water tank also getting hot from being in the bay as well as just the fact that this core probably sucks compared to a good name brand garrett/bell core, same goes for the heat exchanger core in front of the radiator. during a freeway pull i was getting turbo outlet temps of around 250F and seeing the intake air temp go to about 130, with a water tank temp of 104. i wish i had an ambient air temp sensor in the engine bay as the calculation i used for the ambient air in was 86F and it's realistically higher than that. i just ran another calc and if the ambient intake air was 104 then the intercooler efficiency is 80% so... i guess the system is working decently well. then we go to the air conditioning system. i forgot to bring my thermometer on the drive to get the vent temp while moving, but as soon as i got home i popped the thermometer in and saw a vent temp of 49f where it was 86f out.
intercooler.jpg
intercooler 2.png

20230515_131028.jpg

I’m in the same damn boat with the oil cooler. Just this weekend I started seeing what I believe are traces of oil in the coolant. Pretty much the only item not replaced during my rebuild because it looked fine.

I’m in the same damn boat with the oil cooler. Just this weekend I started seeing what I believe are traces of oil in the coolant. Pretty much the only item not replaced during my rebuild because it looked fine.
Yeah that sucks man! I was seeing brown sludge collecting inside the overflow.
511.13$ to my door from partsouq for the cover cooler and 3 gaskets. Usa pricing is insane like 900$ for just the cooler no gaskets or housing..

Yeah that sucks man! I was seeing brown sludge collecting inside the overflow.
511.13$ to my door from partsouq for the cover cooler and 3 gaskets. Usa pricing is insane like 900$ for just the cooler no gaskets or housing..
Was the housing warped on yours to require a new oil cooler entirely? Usually its just removing it, cleaning things up, and replacing gaskets.

And its nearly impossible to get to without removing the exhaust manifolds. You gotta get those off in order to easily get to the oil cooler.

Here's when I removed mine last year on the latest 80 series toy, incase anyone needs a visual:

-

Finally got a decent launch video, nothing too aggressive, ive launched it harder. this is 12.5 psi

Can we get a 3k+ clutch drop launch? 🥳

you like to party! i like it lmao, we will see... i want to get a draggy first so i can actually record times
I say that slightly in jest, but it would be interesting 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom