Not enough caster...ICON stage 3 kit/ 1 year Review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What’s up guys finally got around to installing my lift but I’ve run into a problem. I thought by adjusting the OME front panhard rod and recentering the axel it would get rid of some bad driving habits. Long story short, the trucks caster is still out 2 degrees.

The kit is a complete with the supplied caster-corrected bushings. I have a delta bracket for the rear panhard rod to adjust for a 3” lift. Up front I have an OME adjustable panhard rod. The shop wasn’t sure what he was seeing was right so even after checking the alignment 3 times on his machine he whipped out the ol’ gauges and checked it manually.

What would you do? Get some drop down brackets or new radius arms from superior? I would like the truck to drive relatively normal or as normal as can be. Is still feels a bit floaty as it sits right now.

You need either caster correction plates or radius arms with the caster correction built in. @NLXTACY has the plates and if you want arms send your alignment data to @Delta VS and her can set you up with the arms. You’re probably getting more lift than stated out of the springs. I had the same issue getting over 5” of lift out of 4” springs.

Last edited:
You need either caster correction plates or control arms with the caster correction built in. @NLXTACY has the plates and if you want arms send your alignment data to @Delta VS and her can set you up with the arms. You’re probably getting more lift than stated out of the springs. I had the same issue getting over 5” of lift out of 4” springs.

They are front Radius arms not control arms, control arms are strait usually

You need either caster correction plates or radius arms with the caster correction built in. @NLXTACY has the plates and if you want arms send your alignment data to @Delta VS and her can set you up with the arms. You’re probably getting more lift than stated out of the springs. I had the same issue getting over 5” of lift out of 4” springs.

That’s what I was thinking...if I’m out 2 degrees still, how likely is it due to the truck not being loaded down with bumper, winch, rack, gear, etc?

Call icon and see what they have to say....maybe you got some incorrect bushings?

The ICON springs are a full 3" lift. We pair a set of 4" arms when a full kit goes out the door to give a little extra steering stability. BEST thing you can do is get underneath the rig and take the measurements detailed in the first post of this thread: Compiling/comparing lift and caster data

That'll give you a good idea of where everything is sitting.

Report back.

I would measure from the center of the hub to the bottom of the flare and then subtract 20.5 from that. That will roughly give you how much lift the springs yielded. How much drop you will see from accessories depends on what you buy. ARB bumper with a 9k winch and synthetic line, maybe 1/2". Big bruiser of a bumper with a Warn 12k and steel cable, quite a bit more.

So knowing where you are and where you might end up is helpful in making an educated guess. So applying caster correction now with a light setup you might want the caster to be on the low side so as you add that extra weight the caster increases as well.

But if you are going big and heavy then you would probably correct caster on the higher side expecting to also adjust the height after the added weight with either spacers or heavier springs. There would be no change in caster before and after the added weight is installed.

Call icon and see what they have to say....maybe you got some incorrect bushings?

I called but was told they’ve never had anyone call with issues in regards to this kit.

The truck was tolerable but not like stock while driving. I think I may hold off a bit on any more correction until it’s sitting at the correct weight. I’llore then likely get some radius arms from delta in the future.

I would measure from the center of the hub to the bottom of the flare and then subtract 20.5 from that. That will roughly give you how much lift the springs yielded. How much drop you will see from accessories depends on what you buy. ARB bumper with a 9k winch and synthetic line, maybe 1/2". Big bruiser of a bumper with a Warn 12k and steel cable, quite a bit more.

So knowing where you are and where you might end up is helpful in making an educated guess. So applying caster correction now with a light setup you might want the caster to be on the low side so as you add that extra weight the caster increases as well.

But if you are going big and heavy then you would probably correct caster on the higher side expecting to also adjust the height after the added weight with either spacers or heavier springs. There would be no change in caster before and after the added weight is installed.

Thanks, I’ll do this tomorrow and report back with my numbers and alignment data. Bill over at Payless 4 wheel drive in Chico is very informative and reassuring.

Last edited:
I called but was told they’ve never had anyone call with issues in regards to this kit.

Screenshot_20190826-191007.png

I would highly recommend staying away from those bushings. These are pics from @SNLC, who was installing a new lift on a client rig and noticed some disturbing interference issues. The age of correcting caster with bushings will hopefully die soon. @landtank / @NLXTACY plates or full radius arms moving forward.

IMG_3340.jpg

IMG_3341.jpg

IMG_3342.jpg

IMG_3343.jpg

IMG_3344.jpg

Thanks, I’ll do this tomorrow and report back with my numbers and alignment data.

Landtank's brackets from Wits' End gave me +2.6 deg on Icon 3" coils with the usual 80 load out on 35's. If replacement Radius Arms aren't in the budget. Very happy with the ride and solid steering. If I end up bending a front arm, @Delta VS will be my first stop.

Also keep in mind that you will have to deal with worn components that become more pronounced once you lift suspension / increase tire size. Adjust steering box, check / replace all OEM bushings and deal with castor- then she'll drive well.

Last edited:
I pulled the trigger on the DeltaVS radius arms. The truck drives better then before the lift...I’ll post pics of the alignment, before and after soon.
image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom