NJ to UT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PhuckItImDone

SILVER Star
Threads
I'll be headed from home out to Utah mid March, SLC and Moab. I'll be driving solo, just trying to make time as quickly as I can, no need to sight see on this leg. I'm meeting the wife in SLC and we'll double back to Moab for a few days. I'll be sticking to mostly easy stuff, as it'll just be us, and she's not a fan of leaving the pavement for anything wild. Views and beauty are the aim. That said, anyone particular to any route out, or avoid? I know 70 in CO can be a gamble, is 80 any better? Any trails recommended? TIA.

Screenshot_20240116-233311_Maps.jpg

20240119_162000.jpg

I-80 in Wyoming can be bad. I live in Park City UT right on I-80, so not to far from the boarder with WY, and I wouldn't wanna try to cross Wyoming if I new the conditions were not good.

And I dont just mean a snow storm. If there are just high winds even, the drifting snow can be bad. Elk Mountain, about half way across WY, is the windiest section of freeway in the US I believe.

Last edited:
I would pass on 80 in WY in March. As others have said, it's not just snow that's an issue..it's wind.

If you’re going through Chicago, take the PA turnpike, not I-70. It’s faster and the view isn’t really different. Watch for police around Cleveland and Toledo, I’ve taken this route dozens of times and they’re hanging out every single time. Otherwise take 70 straight through. Just my $0.02. Oh and as you probably remember, I-80 from Lincoln is like 150 miles of perfectly straight highway where you can set radar cruise and tie your belt between the steering wheel and your seat and then take a nap on the way.

Around Moab, Onion Creek is an easy but pretty trail. Also Shafer Switchbacks in Canyonlands is easy but a great view. I like the Potash Road way into the park and it’s a green trail but if she doesn’t like being jostled then just start at the top of SS and drive down and back up.

Around Moab, Onion Creek is an easy but pretty trail. Also Shafer Switchbacks in Canyonlands is easy but a great view. I like the Potash Road way into the park and it’s a green trail but if she doesn’t like being jostled then just start at the top of SS and drive down and back up.
- the jostled around, bumpy stuff is fine. It's the Ouray style cliff roads, drop offs, plummet to our death stuff she's not signing on for.

I would pass on 80 in WY in March. As others have said, it's not just snow that's an issue..it's wind.
I-80 through Wyoming was placed in a horrible spot, and as others have said, wind is the issue. When there is snow on the ground, a high wind otherwise blue sky day can be as dangerous as a blizzard (or more) with snow drifting on the roads. There are sections that can close off with little warning. If there is no snow it would likely be fine. Worst mileage I ever got in my 200 was on that stretch as the severe high winds kills mpg. I've literally seen semis have their trailers blown over on this stretch. Still, I used to drive this stretch to get to Northern Utah regularly.

Pennsylvania seems to have a lot of speed traps in my experience. My last time on a similar stretch (I drove from DC to Utah and on to NorCal). I made it to Iowa in 17 hours on day one and Northern Utah by the end of the second day. Have a good trip!

I-80 through Wyoming was placed in a horrible spot, and as others have said, wind is the issue. When there is snow on the ground, a high wind otherwise blue sky day can be as dangerous as a blizzard (or more) with snow drifting on the roads. There are sections that can close off with little warning. If there is no snow it would likely be fine. Worst mileage I ever got in my 200 was on that stretch as the severe high winds kills mpg. I've literally seen semis have their trailers blown over on this stretch. Still, I used to drive this stretch to get to Northern Utah regularly.

Pennsylvania seems to have a lot of speed traps in my experience. My last time on a similar stretch (I drove from DC to Utah and on to NorCal). I made it to Iowa in 17 hours on day one and Northern Utah by the end of the second day. Have a good trip!

I got 6.7 mpg over 9 hours towing my travel trailer across WY as an early season snow storm was blowing in. Pretty much 30+ mph headwind the entire way. My 36 gallon tank in my F150 felt tiny that day :rofl:

With modern forecasting, you'll know before the split in CO which is better, 70 or 80. Have you considered having your wife fly into Moab instead of SLC? Will save you a 5+ hour round trip.

With modern forecasting, you'll know before the split in CO which is better, 70 or 80. Have you considered having your wife fly into Moab instead of SLC? Will save you a 5+ hour round trip.
This seems to be what I'm leaning at, just kinda watching it. Unfortunately the timing puts her work stuff in SLC so im playing by her schedule.

Upon some research, opinions here and elsewhere, im thinking I may take a Southern route, dropping down to come around. Anyone have any opinions or knowledge? Taking the WY, CO ski traffic out of the equation, dunno if im doing myself any favors.

Screenshot_20240218-221154_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20240218-224033_Maps.jpg

I can verify that 170 through Kansas is the most boring stretch of road I've ever encountered. And I live in Florida.
It's just mind numbingly boring. I would happily add an hour to my trip to avoid it.

If you're in a hurry, take a straight line.

Your southern route is much more appealing to me, but then I've driven it 2 gillion times already and know where my gas stops, overnights, etc. would be.

If you're truly not too pressed for time (maybe one additional day on the way out) get off the interstates and see the countryside.

If you're in a hurry, take a straight line.

Your southern route is much more appealing to me, but then I've driven it 2 gillion times already and know where my gas stops, overnights, etc. would be.

If you're truly not too pressed for time (maybe one additional day on the way out) get off the interstates and see the countryside.
Wouldn't say a hurry, but not looking to sight see or BS along the way on the leg out. A straight line brings me either across CO or WY, which seem to be hassles of their own. Sitting in WY because of blowing snow, or on 70 because of ski traffic on a Friday are what I'm looking to avoid. I've done the other 2, but only in summer when weather wasn't the issue.

Wouldn't say a hurry, but not looking to sight see or BS along the way on the leg out. A straight line brings me either across CO or WY, which seem to be hassles of their own. Sitting in WY because of blowing snow, or on 70 because of ski traffic on a Friday are what I'm looking to avoid. I've done the other 2, but only in summer when weather wasn't the issue.

Understood. The weather can be unpredictable.

I had to drop all the way down to El Paso and then up through Gallup to Grand Junction to get to Denver one April when a storm shut down Eastern Colorado. They take road closures seriously out here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom