First trip to Moab (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am heading down to Moab in a couple of weeks for the first time. Bringing the family for spring break mostly to mountain bike but I would love to get the 200 out on some adventures as well. I am pretty green to off roading so plan on keeping it mellow-ish.

Any/all tips, tricks, suggestions are welcome. Any special gear to buy beforehand? I have a tow strap, d-rings, a shovel, jumper cables. Anything else? What about those max- trax? I see them strapped to a lot of outfitted rigs these days. Worthwhile?

I have a 2008 stock 200 with BFG KO2s

Thanks!

If you’re pretty new to off-roading, stick to the green trails. Potash road, Shafer switchbacks into Canyonlands, maybe the back way into arches or chicken corners. You’re extremely unlikely to need recover gear on those or risk any damage. Those trails are considered a 2 or maybe a 3.

For comparison Fins N Things is a fun trail and only rated a 4 but I’ll almost certainly at least scrape your bumpers on that, and there are a few spots which can be tricky if you’re green

If you’re pretty new to off-roading, stick to the green trails. Potash road, Shafer switchbacks into Canyonlands, maybe the back way into arches or chicken corners. You’re extremely unlikely to need recover gear on those or risk any damage. Those trails are considered a 2 or maybe a 3.

For comparison Fins N Things is a fun trail and only rated a 4 but I’ll almost certainly at least scrape your bumpers on that, and there are a few spots which can be tricky if you’re green

I agree with all of this!

Yeah - my 200 prep sounds similiar to yours. I really like the drives as recommended above. Depending on the mapping source, stick to the greens or 2-3 rated trails. Still a lot of fun out there. I would add Onion Creek by Fisher Towers, the LaSalle loop (easy but scenic depending on snow levels). Don’t be afraid to turn around if need be.

I'll throw in "Gemini Bridges". Not especially technical, but the shelf road coming in from the highway has some nail biting points. Maybe not a "day 1" trail.

As mentioned above, Fins n' Things is doable, with an expectation for a little scraping especially without an experienced spotter to help you through. It's a good intro to more technical terrain. It's a compact, tight playground. The trail is known around the world and brings a little "cred" with it. It'd be easy to run into some other Toyota drivers and get some spotting if you were hesitant to do it yourself. Lots of fun to be had for all skill levels, and the folks I ran into out there were second to none. Very supportive.

You're unlikely to need recovery gear. Don't drive it if you don't have confidence. If you don't make it, back up and take a different route. If it rains, consider another activity for the day. Bring some sunscreen and plenty of water/snacks/food.

Yeah - my 200 prep sounds similiar to yours. I really like the drives as recommended above. Depending on the mapping source, stick to the greens or 2-3 rated trails. Still a lot of fun out there. I would add Onion Creek by Fisher Towers, the LaSalle loop (easy but scenic depending on snow levels). Don’t be afraid to turn around if need be.
I’d agree with onion creek, just be sure to treat it as an out and back trail

I'll throw in "Gemini Bridges". Not especially technical, but the shelf road coming in from the highway has some nail biting points. Maybe not a "day 1" trail.

As mentioned above, Fins n' Things is doable, with an expectation for a little scraping especially without an experienced spotter to help you through. It's a good intro to more technical terrain. It's a compact, tight playground. The trail is known around the world and brings a little "cred" with it. It'd be easy to run into some other Toyota drivers and get some spotting if you were hesitant to do it yourself.
I did Gemini bridges last year just looking to kill a couple hours. It’s mostly a 2 but there were a couple spots which required a decent line going out, and which could be a surprising drop on the way back if you forgot about them. Might have just been the time of year and could be better now but I was surprised for a green trail, so definitely more of a “day 2” thing if potash road and onion creek are boring

If you want to get a little adventurous you can take onion creek and finish off the rest of the Kokopelli trail which is very tame going up into the La Sals. There’s nothing difficult at.

Last edited:
I am heading down to Moab in a couple of weeks for the first time. Bringing the family for spring break mostly to mountain bike but I would love to get the 200 out on some adventures as well. I am pretty green to off roading so plan on keeping it mellow-ish.

Any/all tips, tricks, suggestions are welcome. Any special gear to buy beforehand? I have a tow strap, d-rings, a shovel, jumper cables. Anything else? What about those max- trax? I see them strapped to a lot of outfitted rigs these days. Worthwhile?

Thanks!

I'd stick trails that are in the 1-4 out of ten difficulty to minimize the risk of damage or getting stuck. Definitely plan to air down to improve traction and reduce the impact on the trail - not to mention make it much more comfortable for your family.

You will see something very interesting in Moab and the desert southwest that's worth learning about. It's called cryptobiotic soil, and it's a dark, organic crust that forms on top of the sand allowing life to form and thrive. It takes decades to hundreds of years to form and is resilient to natural wildlife and weather, but if you step on it or drive on it, it quickly destroys it and slowly kills the plant life that depends on it. Staying on the trail and driving over obstacles on the trail is the key to avoiding this damage, and doing some googling about the cool plants and animals of the region makes it more fun to explore especially with kids.

I was in Moab earlier this week and noticed a section of trail on Hells Revenge where people created a "bypass" around an easy obstacle that has widened the trail massively and created "trail braids". I took this video to help explain what it looks like and what to avoid. Sometimes it's obvious to see what the main trail is and sometimes it isn't, so having a good map (OnX or Gaia) and looking for clues and markers is key to staying on the trail!

I'd stick trails that are in the 1-4 out of ten difficulty to minimize the risk of damage or getting stuck. Definitely plan to air down to improve traction and reduce the impact on the trail - not to mention make it much more comfortable for your family.

You will see something very interesting in Moab and the desert southwest that's worth learning about. It's called cryptobiotic soil, and it's a dark, organic crust that forms on top of the sand allowing life to form and thrive. It takes decades to hundreds of years to form and is resilient to natural wildlife and weather, but if you step on it or drive on it, it quickly destroys it and slowly kills the plant life that depends on it. Staying on the trail and driving over obstacles on the trail is the key to avoiding this damage, and doing some googling about the cool plants and animals of the region makes it more fun to explore especially with kids.

I was in Moab earlier this week and noticed a section of trail on Hells Revenge where people created a "bypass" around an easy obstacle that has widened the trail massively and created "trail braids". I took this video to help explain what it looks like and what to avoid. Sometimes it's obvious to see what the main trail is and sometimes it isn't, so having a good map (OnX or Gaia) and looking for clues and markers is key to staying on the trail!

I learned of this soil from "Broken Arrow" starring Travolta and Slater.

Thanks!
No need to buy traction boards. A shovel works fine. Maybe if you are traveling over sand dunes for extended periods, otherwise they are mostly for show.

Make sure your spare tire is aired up. If you have a portable pump bring it. You will find airing your tires down to be very important for overall comfort even on washboard dirt roads. Depending on the tires you have on your truck, if you run 35 psi on road, try 20 psi off road to start and adjust from there.

Bring lots of water and some food, pack warm clothes, hiking shoes/boots, GPS or satellite tracking device (assume cell service not avail), maps either digital or paper, and calculate your fuel range to make sure you have enough fuel. Assume around 10 mpg off-road if you are running easier trails or dirt roads.

It is also a good idea to bring at least a simple tool set (wrenches, sockets, pliers, plastic zip ties, etc).

If you are venturing away from the masses, it is good to have a mindset of being self-sufficient.

What @linuxgod said. We did Potash to Schafer and switchbacks into Canyonlands this past Wednesday. Nothing technical about it. The backdoor into Arches is great. Some dinosaur tracks along the way. Salt Valley Rd in Arches is very tame. These are great trails to get out on that are not difficult.

Watch the weather. If wet, then reconsider. We got to Moab last Saturday. It poured rain Saturday evening. I decided to wait a few days to do Potash and Schafer. By Wednesday it was mostly dry.

Have fun. Sounds like you'll be well sorted. Don't expect cell service on any of the above tracks. That can be unnerving but I carry an inReach. A bone stock 200 will do just fine on these trails.

When you get to Moab, go to Back of Beyond Books and pick up this guide.

Breaks it down and gives you family friendly options. Definitely worth picking up. Tons of great info and detail.

IMG_3796.jpeg

yes to all of the above
Green routes
Get the book
Buy local
Lots of water (you don’t notice how rapidly you lose it in the low humidity and just get a refillable bottle; single use plastic bottles are for retards)
SPF
Air down
Slow down (backcountry speed limit in Canyonlands is 15 mph)
Tread lightly
Leave no trace

Wake up early (the desert is magical when the warm morning light hits the red rock and casts long shadows)
Visit the visitors centers and learn about the desert
Traction boards are cosmetic
Be polite
Make memories and come back often

IMG_8893.png

When you get to Moab, go to Back of Beyond Books and pick up this guide.

Breaks it down and gives you family friendly options. Definitely worth picking up. Tons of great info and detail.

View attachment 3588888

Awesome Book!

Their ratings and descriptions are pretty dang spot on

Try to find the edition that comes with all the GPS tracks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom