Next question...gas tank rott (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My fuel tank has the typical rott in the bottom corners. Metal looks to have gotten pretty thin, but I don't think it has ever worn all the way through.

I'm thinking a little Por Putty applied to those areas as a short term fix until I can afford a long range tank. Anyone see this as a bad idea?

how short term? i have tried that POR putty and it ended up falling right out and leaking gas all over the place after a few months.

is there a local radiator shop that repairs cores? i had mine repaired at a radiator shop and they did a great job for much less money than an aux tank.

New OEM or CCOT aftermarket steel tank and be done with it.

Good luck!

-Steve

I welded mine up to get rid of most of the rot and then coated with something on the inside that POR 15 sold.

But then again there isn't a replacement for my tank (year) ;)

Otherwise I probably would have gotten a new one

-my64fj40

You guys got something against the poly tanks? I guess I should search on that eh?

mtweller said:
You guys got something against the poly tanks? I guess I should search on that eh?

Many folks have posted up, and you can read about it in the FAQ about how they do not seal and leak fuel/vapor....

Still, some others have posted that they like the tank and have not had any issues.

A new metal tank will likely outlast you.... ;)

:beer:

bar of soap, short term solution

mtweller said:
My fuel tank has the typical rott in the bottom corners. Metal looks to have gotten pretty thin, but I don't think it has ever worn all the way through.

I'm thinking a little Por Putty applied to those areas as a short term fix until I can afford a long range tank. Anyone see this as a bad idea?

If it isn't leaking yet, I'd just paint it with 3 or 4 coats of POR-15. I've repaired a tank which had pin holes in a small area using screenwire and POR epoxy and it held for a year or more until I got a used steel tank from crusierparts.net. The putty in the tube with screenwire or fiberglass cloth will work too. Just get eveything real clean.

For long-term, I'd go with the CCOT repro steel tank at $200 or with a used one from cruiserparts.net which I paid $100 for about 3 or 4 years ago and looked new after a coat of paint. I don't remember the price of a Toy OEM tank, proably at least $300 (I bought one for around that aver 15 years ago for a '71). I've heard of problems with the poly tanks, mostly poly shavings not being thoroughly cleaned out before installation and some leaks around fittings, but I just want a steel tank, even if the polys don't have any problems. That said, there are a lot of poly tanks out there.

Pete

Go to your local motorcycle shop or automotive shop. The product name is Kream (sp). It's a 3 part application process. I used it on an old leaky mortcycle tank in 1988 and the tank is still sealed according to the owner. The product works wonders and is specifically designed for metal or plastic gas tanks.

Good luck.

I had great luck with por15, its lasted several years now.

I found a friend that's going to have a tank for me, so Por it is for now until I can get it. Should be in less than 2 month.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom