Newbie here looking for engine swap recommendations in a 73 FJ55, order of things. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I will get pictures, cause I know you will be asking for them. I purchased a pretty much stock fj55. It runs, sort of stops. I want to do a practical restoration to put in our 2nd home for when we stay there so it will be driven occasionally, but needs to be reliable and comfortable. I plan on putting a vortec engine in it. I will not be doing the work myself but I need to be able to tell them what to do. I would like to be able to comfortably keep up with todays freeway traffic and have solid air conditioning.

Here are my questions:

Which Vortec engine should I be looking at?
Which Transmission would you recommend?
Should I, or rather do I need to change out the axles for this conversion?
If I do not need to change out the axles, can I do a disc brake conversion to stock axles?

I really have no particular preferences or knowledge. Lets phrase it this way: "If I had 20k in my hand, and a stock FJ55, I would do this....and I would do it in this order...."

Side note, if anyone in Sacramento is looking for a running 2F engine and transmission, hit me up. The odometer says 44k. Who knows. I think it runs pretty decent. You are welcome to see it running, before it gets pulled out.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your input.

I will get pictures, cause I know you will be asking for them. I purchased a pretty much stock fj55. It runs, sort of stops. I want to do a practical restoration to put in our 2nd home for when we stay there so it will be driven occasionally, but needs to be reliable and comfortable. I plan on putting a vortec engine in it. I will not be doing the work myself but I need to be able to tell them what to do. I would like to be able to comfortably keep up with todays freeway traffic and have solid air conditioning.

Here are my questions:

Which Vortec engine should I be looking at?
Which Transmission would you recommend?
If I do not need to change out the axles, can I do a disc brake conversion to stock axles?

I really have no particular preferences or knowledge. Lets phrase it this way: "If I had 20k in my hand, and a stock FJ55, I would do this....and I would do it in this order...."

Side note, if anyone in Sacramento is looking for a running 2F engine and transmission, hit me up. The odometer says 44k. Who knows. I think it runs pretty decent. You are welcome to see it running, before it gets pulled out.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your input.
Since youre in Sacramento, i would schedule a visit to Valley Hybrids and talk to him (@orangefj45 ) about your budget and options. You wont “have to tell him what to do”. Him and his team are professionals, you dont need to babysit or help.

There is tons of options to swap.

Why would you go to Vortec instead of sticking to toyota ?

You can get decent options in inline 6 by adding a turbo to your 2F or V6 by switching to something beefier like the 1GR.

• If you are going to the 1GR-FE path, you would be able to choose a manual H151 tranny or an automatic one like ones mounted into the FJ cruiser.
  • You'll have to order custom driveshafts (can easily be done through tom wood).
  • If your axles are in good shape, you can keep em and add disc braxes conversion kits, remember you'll have to upgrade your mastervac (from a BJ42 or HJ47) and master cylinder (i like to go with one from FZJ7x, just check the flage size between cylinder and vac).

keep in mind that putting 300hp in an old, flexi, 70's engineered 4wd tincan can be hard and quite dangerous, even if its done the most professional way. but fun.

As well, and because swaps are not only related to engine, you'll probably have to count
  • full sound deadning
  • new radiator
  • custom AC hoses (can partially be done with vintage air, nostalgic AC, cold hose)
  • nightmare-ish wiring loom - i personally recommend you to have a can reader ad hoc in your car if you go with ECU equiped engine (scangauge)
  • gauges (retrofitted into cluster or external ones)
  • maybe switching to a totally new gauge cluster from dakota, be carefull on the lead time
  • reinforced clutch
  • fuel supply (pump, regulator, filter)

In my opinion,
if you have a profesional doing it for you that knows how to with EFI engines, immo off, gauge clusters, etc; go with a toyota 1GR; even maybe with a UR V8 !
If you prefer not to alterate that much a 55 (which are quite rare), just start playing with a good engine preparation and overhaul, an EFI kit and a big AC kit, you'll be happy with it !
If you want a mild solution, try looking at 1FZ-FE. Can be upgraded with a turbo kit, can achieve 400+ hp well prepared with kiwi sauce spares ;)

Coldicer,

I'm a big fan of the GM LS series engines, some of which are referred to as Vortecs. Exactly which model will be up to you, but I'd probably start with an aluminum version of the 6.0, or maybe a 6.2. You didn't mention whether your preference is for a manual transmission or an automatic.

For decades the most swapped engine was the small block Chevy in carbureted form. Now that's been largely replaced by GM LS series or Vortec engines. There is a great deal of aftermarket support for these swaps, which means lots of parts to choose from, and lots of available knowledge. The engine's ECM (computer, if you prefer) will need to be reprogrammed and there are many vendors who perform that service. Likewise, it makes sense to go with a conversion wiring harness which takes a huge chunk of hassle out of the equation. Going off that reservation to swapping in a different engine, such as a modern Toyota fuel injected V-8, means the aftermarket support is comparatively miniscule, and to what gain?

The GM engines were installed in different vehicles and over multiple years. That mean accessories such as alternators, power steering pumps and air conditioning compressors have different locations and use different bracket setups. There are also multiple exhaust manifold designs to choose from. When you swap an engine those accessories and/or exhaust can create clearance issues in the new vehicle. But with the multiple different bracket setups and exhaust manifolds GM used, it's very likely there's an off-the-shelf solution rather than having to design and fabricate a custom bracket. Engine swaps can be relatively simple and painless, or they can be massive headaches. Why make it harder than it needs to be?

My wife drives a 2002 Lexus LX470 with a stock Toyota 2UZ-FE 4.7L V-8 engine. It's a great vehicle, but it's gutless. The engine is rated at 230 HP and honestly, if you swapped in an engine with 150 more horsepower...it wouldn't be too much.

The GM engines make great power, they're readily available, there are tons of parts available. To me, it's a no brainer....

Good Luck!

What year 55 is it? I’ve got 69 with F engine at body shop for over a year now and the owner loves to tell me how it just fires right up every time he has to move it.

My point is if cared for properly these rigs can be crazy reliable in their original form.

That same 69 is getting 2f/h55 swap once we ever get back from the body shop.

Show us some pig skin!!!!

Coldicer,

I'm a big fan of the GM LS series engines, some of which are referred to as Vortecs. Exactly which model will be up to you, but I'd probably start with an aluminum version of the 6.0, or maybe a 6.2. You didn't mention whether your preference is for a manual transmission or an automatic.

For decades the most swapped engine was the small block Chevy in carbureted form. Now that's been largely replaced by GM LS series or Vortec engines. There is a great deal of aftermarket support for these swaps, which means lots of parts to choose from, and lots of available knowledge. The engine's ECM (computer, if you prefer) will need to be reprogrammed and there are many vendors who perform that service. Likewise, it makes sense to go with a conversion wiring harness which takes a huge chunk of hassle out of the equation. Going off that reservation to swapping in a different engine, such as a modern Toyota fuel injected V-8, means the aftermarket support is comparatively miniscule, and to what gain?

The GM engines were installed in different vehicles and over multiple years. That mean accessories such as alternators, power steering pumps and air conditioning compressors have different locations and use different bracket setups. There are also multiple exhaust manifold designs to choose from. When you swap an engine those accessories and/or exhaust can create clearance issues in the new vehicle. But with the multiple different bracket setups and exhaust manifolds GM used, it's very likely there's an off-the-shelf solution rather than having to design and fabricate a custom bracket. Engine swaps can be relatively simple and painless, or they can be massive headaches. Why make it harder than it needs to be?

My wife drives a 2002 Lexus LX470 with a stock Toyota 2UZ-FE 4.7L V-8 engine. It's a great vehicle, but it's gutless. The engine is rated at 230 HP and honestly, if you swapped in an engine with 150 more horsepower...it wouldn't be too much.

The GM engines make great power, they're readily available, there are tons of parts available. To me, it's a no brainer....

Good Luck!
Thanks for this. One of my major concerns is easily finding someone to maintain and work on it wherever we end up. Classics are cool, but not always practical. I drive a Tesla and a 2022 ram limited, I’m spoiled, so the cruiser needs to be modernized.

Since your so spoiled I would sell the FJ55 and buy a modern SUV. You will never be happy in an old leaf spring Land Cruiser. Adding HP isn't going to soften the ride or improve the handling to what you get from a modern SUV. People buy these because they think they are cool but sell them after a few years because in the end it's still a vehicle designed in the 1960s.

Since your so spoiled I would sell the FJ55 and buy a modern SUV. You will never be happy in an old leaf spring Land Cruiser. Adding HP isn't going to soften the ride or improve the handling to what you get from a modern SUV. People buy these because they think they are cool but sell them after a few years because in the end it's still a vehicle designed in the 1960s.
Awesome comment. Thanks.

Coldicer,

Good Luck!

One of my other passions are the mid-sixties Corvettes. For many many years the ones that routinely sold for big bucks were the ones that were meticulously restored, and with documentation as to the originality of the engine, etc.

However within the last few years there has been a strong trend that the well done resto-modded vehicles are commanding big bucks. Rather than a 1966 L72 427 that was rated at 450 or 425 HP, people are buying that same body with a completely new frame and powertrain. You get better performance, better handling in one of the all-time classic bodies.

Swapping a modern powertrain into an FJ55 gets you some significant improvements, while maintaining the classic look. No, it won't be as comfortable or handle as well as a fancy new SUV, but you have a coolness factor those never will. Obviously... my opinion only.

Last edited:
One of my other passions are the mid-sixties Corvettes. For many many years the ones that routinely sold for big bucks were the ones that were meticulously restored, and with documentation as to the originality of the engine, etc.

However within the last few years there has been a strong trend that the well done resto-modded vehicles are commanding big bucks. Rather than a 1966 L72 427 that was rated at 450 or 425 HP, people are buying that same body with a completely new frame and powertrain. You get better performance, better handling in one of the all-time classic bodies.

Swapping a modern powertrain into an FJ55 gets you some significant improvements, while maintaining the classic look. No, it won't be as comfortable or handle as well as a fancy new SUV, but you have a coolness factor those never will. Obviously... my opinion only.

Guess it really boils down to what the OP is willing to give up to feel like he is looking cool. Had my first FJ40 for forty nine years. Didn't buy it to look cool. Really bought it because in the small town I lived in there were not many options for used 4X4s I could afford. Luckily for me there were no jeeps for sale at the time. I still have it and a number of others. Have them because how tough and reliable there. Certainly isn't because of the comfortable ride and great handling. My FJ45 does have a nicer ride with the long wheel and probably not as comfortable as the FJ55. But doubt it is near as nice as nice as a 4th gen 4Runner with a factory V8, climate control, full time 4WD and sound system that would be hard to match in a FJ55. Not sure the value of 4th gen like that is. Modernizing a FJ55 would probably cost more and still not be as nice.We bought ours new in January 04. Replaced it with a 5th TRD off road a few years ago. Kept the 4th gen and while the new one was suppose to be my wife's DD she prefers her old 04.

If you aren't doing the work and you want a reliable and comfortable Fj55 for your 2nd or 3rd home, you aren't budgeting enough money.

If you want quality a/c and to cruise comfortably at 75mph without rattling, road noise, air leaks...you're in the minimum of 75-100k for someone else to do the labor to a somewhat quality level because you're now dealing with rust, rare parts and lots of labor. That said, you're better off buying something thats already sorta what you want and have a shop fix it up additionally.

If you're content on the one you have, budget 30-50k at the bare minimum to get a different engine fitted, axles rebuilt, a/c installed and a number of other items. Now this is before you factor in paint, new seals and all the other misc replacement pieces like door hardware, screws, gaskets, badges, yadda yadda to make it a cream puff.

If you're paying less the job will be likely be subpar labor that you will be chasing with multiple shops. It happens all the time especially when the owner has no grasp of what to expect or have some background on how to judge a shop.

Look at Fj Company, they sell 150-300k trucks and even those have their issues that need rectifying after.

Spot on here. It's a leaf sprung truck. Enjoy it like a leaf sprung truck and feel like indiana jones to get your kicks until you go back to reality.

Last edited:
I love the F engine in my 73 pig. Seems to suit it just fine, even at altitude. If I was looking for a SUV that I could drive on the freeway and has a vortex engine I would look at a Chevy Suburban.

maybe just lurk on bring a trailer until you find one that's pretty well sorted already? In this case, bought not built will probably save you money. (i never go this route, but maybe someday I'll learn)

An H55f would help it keep up with highway traffic.. Get the 2F dialed in as good as can be, add in a 5 speed and disc brakes and spend some money on AC, rust prevention/repair/paint and enjoy it for what it is. Even those modest goals will get you to that $20k number pretty quick with someone else doing the job.

My 60 had 2F/4speed combo and it kept up with highway traffic reasonably well, so long as I didn't have to accelerate too quickly.

You don't need to change axles. Yes, there are disc brake conversion kits.

Even so, I believe you will still have a vehicle that doesn't brake or handle well at freeway speeds, especially when lifted and running large tires. These trucks are also loud as hell. $20K could be a bit light for this project.

Good luck!

If you aren't doing the work and you want a reliable and comfortable Fj55 for your 2nd or 3rd home, you aren't budgeting enough money.

If you want quality a/c and to cruise comfortably at 75mph without rattling, road noise, air leaks...you're in the minimum of 75-100k for someone else to do the labor to a somewhat quality level because you're now dealing with rust, rare parts and lots of labor. That said, you're better off buying something thats already sorta what you want and have a shop fix it up additionally.

If you're content on the one you have, budget 30-50k at the bare minimum to get a different engine fitted, axles rebuilt, a/c installed and a number of other items. Now this is before you factor in paint, new seals and all the other misc replacement pieces like door hardware, screws, gaskets, badges, yadda yadda to make it a cream puff.

If you're paying less the job will be likely be subpar labor that you will be chasing with multiple shops. It happens all the time especially when the owner has no grasp of what to expect or have some background on how to judge a shop.

Look at Fj Company, they sell 150-300k trucks and even those have their issues that need rectifying after.

Spot on here. It's a leaf sprung truck. Enjoy it like a leaf sprung truck and feel like indiana jones to get your kicks until you go back to reality.
I appreciate what you say. I fully realize what you give up when you drive an older vehicle. I have no d
You don't need to change axles. Yes, there are disc brake conversion kits.

Even so, I believe you will still have a vehicle that doesn't brake or handle well at freeway speeds, especially when lifted and running large tires. These trucks are also loud as hell. $20K could be a bit light for this project.

Good luck!
What makes them so loud? If you put a mild tire on them and a mild exhaust with a modern engine, some dynamat on the firewall and floors it shouldn’t be any worse than any other truck of this vintage right? How loud is loud as hell?

maybe just lurk on bring a trailer until you find one that's pretty well sorted already? In this case, bought not built will probably save you money. (i never go this route, but maybe someday I'll learn)

An H55f would help it keep up with highway traffic.. Get the 2F dialed in as good as can be, add in a 5 speed and disc brakes and spend some money on AC, rust prevention/repair/paint and enjoy it for what it is. Even those modest goals will get you to that $20k number pretty quick with someone else doing the job.

My 60 had 2F/4speed combo and it kept up with highway traffic reasonably well, so long as I didn't have to accelerate too quickly.
It’s 100% smarter to buy one restored as long as it’s not too wild. But i don’t have a track record of smart decisions and wouldn’t want to confuse my wife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom