Lifters out of order ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up a 1975 2f engine that was told was a good running engine reported by previously owner who had it in a storage for a long time he was going to reseal engine and removed the head and pulled the lifters out and didn't Label there placement ? Question is do I just throw them in or is there a better option to try to match the lifters to cam lifters do not seem to be worn. Engine has flat top pistons so I think it has had some rebuilding done.

From my understanding, if you don’t match the lifters to the cam lobe they came off, you just need to run a “new engine break in” when you start it the first time. 20-30 minutes with good break in oil at varying rpm’s to get the parts to wear in to each other.

If they didn't have enough where with all to label the parts to put them back in the proper place, I'm not sure I would trust their opinion of "good running". I'm betting there is more stuff than leaking oil. Good luck but I'd be doing a wet/dry compression check asap and oil pressure reading as soon as I got it assembled.

If they didn't have enough where with all to label the parts to put them back in the proper place, I'm not sure I would trust their opinion of "good running". I'm betting there is more stuff than leaking oil. Good luck but I'd be doing a wet/dry compression check asap and oil pressure reading as soon as I got it assembled.
Did a leak test after I lapped valves seemed OK still have to oil pressure test dropped oil pan looked ok

Did the PO seem knowledgeable about engines? Did he know the lifters should be kept in order? If so, why would he scramble them? You might want to check the cam lobes. Do you have the old head gasket to look at? I've "resealed" many V8's and never considered pulling heads as part of the process unless there was an issue. You might want to check the deck and head surfaces for flatness.

I wouldn't be surprised if the head gasket was installed wrong. Or the head maybe not torqued correctly. Once it's back together and running you can check the oil pressure. And check it after the engine is nice and hot. I have seen them dropped oil pressure while driving them on the highway. Doing a compression check as suggested earlier wouldn't hurt either. Hopefully it is good running engine and you will be fine. However, being cautious and making all the necessary checks is just good insurance.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if the head gasket was installed wrong. Or the head maybe not torqued correctly. Once it's back together and running you can check the oil pressure. And check it after the engine is nice and hot. I have seen them dropped oil pressure while driving them on the highway. Doing a compression check as suggested earlier would hurt either. Hopefully it is good running engine and you will be fine. However, being cautious and making all the necessary checks is just good insurance.
I installed new head gasket, lapped the valves installed new pilot bearing rear main seal and pan gasket Cleaed up the head cked out ok with leak down test if the lower end ck out when I run it probley will shave down a late f head .100 I have to get compression up since it has flat tip pistons and a open chamber head cross my fingers lol if engine doesn't run probley have to pull a 2f from a fj60 I picked up that has great compression that I am hoping to keep for future fj40 fj60 swap possible ls engine

Great, sounds like you got it done. Watch the temp. Keep monitoring hopefully you can confirm you have an engine worth running.

I do remember blowing a head gasket back in the day, for some reason it ran a hot but would not overheat. I had no clue it was a blown head gasket. First thing I checked was the fan clutch and it was locking up after the engine warmed and oil checked good. I finally let it cool down and removed thermostat cap and started the engine and and sure enough coolant started bubbling out the radiator. Hopefully you won't have the same experience. :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom