Newbie 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m just starting to build my family’s 2000 LC 100 series. Has been in my family since 2002, has 264K miles, and has been well taken care of for many years. I learned how to drive in this and now I own it for real! Feel free to suggest modifications and accessories. I am looking to upgrade the audio/navigation system first because I spend most of my time commuting around town. I hopefully will take it on some camping trips/overlanding trips soon but I feel like I am a few upgrades away from that as of right now. Enjoy some pics! I’ll have a few more uploaded once stuff gets changed!

9D150FA4-FE35-4AAA-B80A-28B725B0F2A5.jpeg

9CF4F90A-1058-4F83-B6B8-56C2D55CDF49.jpeg

8EF09C82-834F-4773-A873-9AD7EA9F37B5.jpeg

1067A0AB-101E-42D8-B8F6-05BE8ACFE380.jpeg

I hopefully will take it on some camping trips/overlanding trips soon but I feel like I am a few upgrades away from that as of right now.
Nope, it’s good to go as is in stock form, assuming maintenance is up to date. Better tires are really the only upgrade that you might need. Nothing else is essential.

Great looking 100!

I agree, just give it a good tune up and fresh fluids (if needed since you know the history) and get it starting, stopping, steering and driving great. From there upgrade what you NEED not just because others have done it. That said I think some early mods/upgrades should include:

Tires for the terrain you are most likely to play on.
Sliders if you are doing more than light trails/fire roads.

Have fun!

Great looking 100!

I agree, just give it a good tune up and fresh fluids (if needed since you know the history) and get it starting, stopping, steering and driving great. From there upgrade what you NEED not just because others have done it. That said I think some early mods/upgrades should include:

Tires for the terrain you are most likely to play on.
Sliders if you are doing more than light trails/fire roads.

Have fun!
My thoughts exactly! Thanks for the advice.

Enjoy the rig. Upgrades should happen when the needs pop up. Got a good set of tools to work on the rig yourself? If not, invest in those first.

Enjoy the rig. Upgrades should happen when the needs pop up. Got a good set of tools to work on the rig yourself? If not, invest in those first.
Any specific kit I should purchase or specific tool that’s absolutely necessary? I have socket wrenches, tire iron, screwdrivers, the stock jack, and some other miscellaneous tools.

Any specific kit I should purchase or specific tool that’s absolutely necessary? I have socket wrenches, tire iron, screwdrivers, the stock jack, and some other miscellaneous tools.

The tools I use most often and that you can use on others' cars too:

3 ton hydraulic jack, the biggest jack stands you can afford (6 ton are best), Bluetooth OBD2 transmitter ($10) and the torque app ($3), a good grease gun cheap grease guns leak everywhere.

Everything else is pretty job specific on a land cruiser so you can buy as you tackle the project: 57mm socket for hubs, 22mm for shock bolt tops, 32mm? For torsion bars (I'm blanking here).
Coolant funnel is nice to have. Work lights are sweet (battery power is amazing with new tech).

...work lights are sweet (battery power is amazing with new tech).
Good point on the work lights. Any recommendation? I'm getting a little tired of trying to balance a flashlight somewhere in the engine bay....

You'll want some trim removal tools. Cheap on Amazon or eBay. And a big ass break bar. Or two. Extra points if your jack handle fits over it. I can get about 5' of total arm length with mine. Also a big hammer.

Good point on the work lights. Any recommendation? I'm getting a little tired of trying to balance a flashlight somewhere in the engine bay....

You'll want some trim removal tools. Cheap on Amazon or eBay. And a big ass break bar. Or two. Extra points if your jack handle fits over it. I can get about 5' of total arm length with mine. Also a big hammer.

I'd get a 1/2" electric impact wrench on a Christmas list, life is easy with one.

I have ridgid power tools so I bought one of their overpriced lights. I also have a plug-in led that's super bright for working on the house.

Any of the led work lights are going to be nice, some good options on Amazon - put one picture here of some that my neighbor uses.

Harbor freight usually gives away tarps too. One of the tricks I've learned over the years for keeping things clean when changing fluids is to get a section of cheap garden hose (20 ft works well) and connect the ends and lay it on the ground. Then lay a tarp over the top of it and pull the car over the top of it.

The hose doesn't hurt your back while you lay on it, and if you get a fluid spill the tarp compresses on the hose and creates a barrier to trap all of the fluid.

Harbor freight tarps like I said are free, or a buck or two. Throw it out if it gets nasty.

Screenshot_20200820-093647.png

Last edited:
Congrats. That's a good looking truck. Check your local area for a club, and start spending some time with them. Especially hang around when work is going on. You'll learn a lot and see what tools and equipment are being used. Personally, I can almost rebuild my 60s and 80 with the tools that fit in a medium sized tool bag, and I acquired them all for under $50 from estate sales. You shouldn't expect to have to make a huge investment so long as you keep your eyes open.

Welcome! I learned to drive on mine too, and it's certainly a tank! Focus on maintenance first, tools, and a set of good tires. Stock rigs will do 90% of the things fully overland rigs can do

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom