Newb: 4L80e + stock automatic shifter = can't shift into 2 or L (anything below D). Possible fixes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gday everyone. I have an LS3-swapped 96 GXL where the previous owner had installed himself. He did his best to use the stock auto shifter but I'm not able to shift below D (into 2 and L). As a newb to car mechanics I've spent many hours today searching the forums (V8 swapped thread in particular) and haven't found a good answer for my situation. After watching this video (starting at 2:14) from B&M to help me understand how the shift-trans linkage works, the guy talks about GM having multiple holes in the bracket attached to the transmission, and to take care to mount the cable to the 'correct' hole. For reference, the cable for my vehicle is connected to the 'middle' hole:

IMG_4336.jpg

Questions:
  1. Using the stock Toyota shifter, is it a matter of trial and error to find the correct mounting hole on the trans bracket and correct tension/cable length to get all the shift positions?
  2. If yes, is it best to get access to the shifter side of the cable through the inside, i.e., remove the console trim to access?
  3. Super-newb question: will I be able to move the shifter linkage freely, like the guy does in the above video, with my vehicle turned off and sitting in my garage? Or does the fact that the car is fully operational not allow the transmission to shift through gears unencumbered?
Sorry for the newb question on a technical subject. I'm slowly learning the mechanical side of things as I go :)

Cheers

You'll get the best answers and most knowledge in this portion of the forum:

You'll get the best answers and most knowledge in this portion of the forum:

Ok, thanks. I was going to post in there but didn't want to get into the middle of someone else's problem/fix. I'll post over there and put a link in here for people to follow if they want.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom