Add automatic headlights? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all. Back with another newbie, "my modern car has this, can I add it to my '96 LC?" question. This time around auto headlights. Has anyone added auto headlights to their 80 series? I've read a good ih8mud thread on adding a custom dash light icon to the system which mentioned adding a 'headlights on' indicator. This was a fun read but this taken to the next logical step the idea would become adding auto headlights. I expect it would need some sort of sensor to determine a threshold of light vs dark, but it seems like it would be possible?

Thanks for any thoughts!

My '93 1FZJ JDM has auto-headlights, so it's certainly possible. There is an ambient light sensor on the driver's side corner of the dash. It has three sensitivities... off (no lights), mid (parking and factory fog lights), and full (all lights). My headlight switch on the stalk has four positions... off, parking, on, and auto.

Upon shutting off the car the lights will stay on until a door is opened.

Why not just run your headlights all the time? Increases the vehicles "noticablity" (safety) during the daytime. They turn on and off automatically anyway when the rig is turned on and off. No real downside that I can see.

Mark...

Why not just run your headlights all the time? Increases the vehicles "noticablity" (safety) during the daytime. They turn on and off automatically anyway when the rig is turned on and off. No real downside that I can see.

Mark...

My NA market 97 doesn't have this feature, but I fully agree with this. Certainly depends on your part of the world, but here we have a lot of gray, soggy weather year round. Even in the summer with extended light, headlights are very helpful. People tend to forget that they are not only for your own visibility, but everyone around you. I've had a few daytime close calls with vehicles you truly could not see until it was almost too late, granted it was always very soggy at the time.

"But my bulbs won't last as long." Well, in the off-chance headlights-off results in an accident, which is the cheaper of the two scenarios? Carry a couple spares with you.

The above post suggesting to sell it may sound a bit harsh, but I think the point is to remember the vehicle you're talking about, and not to worry about things like auto this & auto that. Doesn't mean you can't upgrade it for your needs (I have my first bluetooth touchscreen interface in a 30 y/o Land Cruiser of all things), but I did have a chuckle thinking about the fact that humans come from the factory with sensors to calculate the threshold of light vs dark... hah

Last edited:
My NA market 97 doesn't have this feature
I have never seen a NA 80 that did not have this.

The headlights turn off when you open your door if you leave them switched on after you shut the rig off.

Mark...

I have never seen a NA 80 that did not have this.

The headlights turn off when you open your door if you leave them switched on after you shut the rig off.

Mark...
Well, I stand corrected. I somehow misinterpreted the "sequence" described by others in the past. Have always dealt with my lights manually, so never ran into it. Good to know, just in case.

With that, I especially agree. Just leave your lights on!

Well, I stand corrected. I somehow misinterpreted the "sequence" described by others in the past. Have always dealt with my lights manually. Good to know, just in case
I almost never actually turn my headlight switch off. Never in normal usage.

Mark...

Our end result is the same in that I always run my lights, but now I think I will start leaving the switch on - thanks

I am planning on adding some amber "fog lights" in my ARB bumper as additional day time running lights. In traffic the yellow really stands out from all the white headlights on the road.

Mark...

I added daytime running lights module to my 93. It was imported into Canada and it is a regulation here.
The module was less than $50 and 15 minute install.
You have the option to have all lights to come on with this module or just the headlights.
Once you shut off the engine they automatically turn off after 10 seconds or so.

DRL definitely enhance road safety

My issue with running the lights 'on' all the time is it dims the cabin dash and indicator lights which aren't all that bright to start with.

On my JDM 80, when the headlights lights are on the dash indicator lights dim.
Like what? I can’t think of anything other than the “D” light and a few lights on the climate control.

Also, if the dimmer dial is all the way up there is no dimming of the dash when lights are on.

I leave mine on. The only downside I can think of is decreased lifespan of the dash bulbs which to some may be difficult to swap without busting their dash to bits.

Like what? I can’t think of anything other than the “D” light and a few lights on the climate control.

Also, if the dimmer dial is all the way up there is no dimming of the dash when lights are on.

I leave mine on. The only downside I can think of is decreased lifespan of the dash bulbs which to some may be difficult to swap without busting their dash to bits.
I don't have a dimmer dial... so no joy there. Climate control has quite a few lights... JDM climate control is different and looks similar to what came on the 40th anniversary US models. Also rear climate control, sport suspension settings, etc. that US models don't have. When the lights dim, standard dash indicator lights wash out in the bright Hawaiin sunlight.

A dedicated daytime running light module would be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom