Add automatic headlights? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When the lights dim, standard dash indicator lights wash out in the bright Hawaiin sunlight.

Are you struggling to see dials in broad 1st world daylight or something? I turn my dimmer all the way down unless driving at night here in the bright SoCal sunlight.

Thanks for everyone's replies (even the sling one ;). I have not thought of leaving the lights on, but to my recollection the headlights can illuminate when the car is off. I'm not 100% sure and I can't check right now (I get Frankie back in a couple days from it's baseline service + spring/shock upgrade) but I'm fairly certain I could activate headlights while the car is off. I'm 100% s=certain the DRLs/parkers can be left on, but that's the point of them.

Interesting that older 80 series had cruise control, but I suppose it's dependent on markets/regulations and even trim levels. I expect my AU '96 GXL doesn't have the sensors in the windscreen as it seems to be a lower trim level with lots of the fancy stuff missing.

Are you struggling to see dials in broad 1st world daylight or something? I turn my dimmer all the way down unless driving at night here in the bright SoCal sunlight.
Can't see the indications on drive selection and central panel settings... So, yes? I don't understand why you're being so aggressive about this.

Can't see the indications on drive selection and central panel settings... So, yes? I don't understand why you're being so aggressive about this.

Don’t be so sensipoo. Just curious dude.

I have no idea why one would struggle so much with clear as mud 90s instrument panel whichever the 80 genre.

Yea, in a Tesla could be a real problem, but white on black phys gauges? Maybe a pic would better illustrate your conundrum.

I've added auto headlights to a 07 SR5 4runner. Required a little wiring harness, a new stalk, and the light sensor. Would love to do this on my 97. I'll research non-usdm cars with it tonight.

You can turn the lights on and off without the vehicle being on, but there is an auto light function if you simply leave the switch turned on all the time.

Your lights are on, you park, you shut the engine off, and lights are still on. As soon as you open the door to exit the vehicle, they shut off. Assuming you don't touch the switch after this, they will then turn on again the next time you start the vehicle.

If you mess with them once it's already off, it interrupts this function and operates manually again.

Don’t be so sensipoo. Just curious dude.

I have no idea why one would struggle so much with clear as mud 90s instrument panel whichever the 80 genre.

Yea, in a Tesla could be a real problem, but white on black phys gauges? Maybe a pic would better illustrate your conundrum.
Issue isn't with the dash gauges but all the indicator lights, and the central panel lights... most notably the a/c lights. When I first started driving the car I just put the headlights on all the time, but it's annoying not to be able to read any of the lights. For the a/c, typically I just put it in auto and set the slider, but if someone else drives the car (wife, etc) sometimes they've played with it and I have to readjust, or figure out they've left on the rear a/c, etc.

Enough of a deal that I stopped driving with the lights on and just leave it in "auto" so I can see what's going on.

Issue isn't with the dash gauges but all the indicator lights, and the central panel lights... most notably the a/c lights. When I first started driving the car I just put the headlights on all the time, but it's annoying not to be able to read any of the lights. For the a/c, typically I just put it in auto and set the slider, but if someone else drives the car (wife, etc) sometimes they've played with it and I have to readjust, or figure out they've left on the rear a/c, etc.

Enough of a deal that I stopped driving with the lights on and just leave it in "auto" so I can see what's going on.

I still have no idea what exactly the struggle is, but happy to drop it.

Appreciate you sharing your rather unique frustrations with lights on mode with a lights on always, no worries USA club member.

...but I'm fairly certain I could activate headlights while the car is off.
The way the NA model works (at least mine...) is that if you were to turn the light switch from OFF to ON, even with the engine off, your headlights would light up and eventually run your battery dead. If, on the other hand, you have the headlights on while running, shut the engine off and then open the door, the lights would shut off. It's easy enough to never realize it's happening if you normally shut your lights off when you stop, but if you forget it saves you from a dead battery.

Hey fjbj, you wouldnt happen to have a part number for that module? Hopefully could work on my 92 fj80.
Sorry I don’t, truck is in storage and I don’t have access.
It’s an Italian unit I believe. I bought it at Canadian Tire. I will see if I can find it on their site.

Edit, this is it.

Last edited:
The way the NA model works (at least mine...) is that if you were to turn the light switch from OFF to ON, even with the engine off, your headlights would light up and eventually run your battery dead. If, on the other hand, you have the headlights on while running, shut the engine off and then open the door, the lights would shut off. It's easy enough to never realize it's happening if you normally shut your lights off when you stop, but if you forget it saves you from a dead battery.
Hmmm, ok, I will test when I get the car back. Thanks 👍

I don't have a dimmer dial... so no joy there. Climate control has quite a few lights... JDM climate control is different and looks similar to what came on the 40th anniversary US models. Also rear climate control, sport suspension settings, etc. that US models don't have. When the lights dim, standard dash indicator lights wash out in the bright Hawaiin sunlight.

A dedicated daytime running light module would be better.

I also do not like how dim everything gets but prefer driving with lights on so I deal with it. The climate control (A/C button mostly) and the clock are the things that I would like to see brighter, especially with sunglasses on. Would be great to bypass the dimmer or something just never looked into it much.

I also do not like how dim everything gets but prefer driving with lights on so I deal with it. The climate control (A/C button mostly) and the clock are the things that I would like to see brighter, especially with sunglasses on. Would be great to bypass the dimmer or something just never looked into it much.
Same issue here. Can't see climate control selections when the lights are on during the day. It also switches the aftermarket stereo to 'night mode' which is much harder to see during the day. Some roads in my area require the use of headlights during the day and it's a pain, actual DRL that doesn't do the dimming would be nice.

Is it possible to add the dimmer from a NA market cruiser?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom