New to the FJ60 world, come share my pain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What's you really makin' there, boy?

moonshin_fitted.jpeg

Cuz it is. That is what was left in the long hose before it was pushed back with the pressure from clean water.
Ah, gotcha. So pushed back through there, through the block and out the block drain then? Is that how you did the 100PSI flush too?

Ok time for a palette cleanser…

Figured it was a perfect time to bleed the brakes and clutch master on my 60 (but this works for any LC). One of the things I constantly see people do is either:
* watch carefully the brake fluid level and top up as needed over and over and over again or
* they bleed the brakes and suck in air because they didn’t refill the reservoir(s) in time

You remember as a kid when you would take a glass you were washing in a sink full of water and fill the glass with water and hold it upside down in the water? Then you’d slowly start lifting the glass (full of water but upside down) up out of the water juuuust to the edge of the glass. Then you’d sit and admire that the water doesn’t stream out of the glass but it’s above the water line. Remember that?

Well this is simply because the atmospheric pressure is equal in the cup as it is in the air around you. Gravity wants the water to fall but it needs a pressure differential to happen, aka bubbles.

Well that’s what you do with the bottles of brake fluid when bleeding your brakes (or clutch master). Just dump the bottle over the open reservoir. It’ll pour out until there is a liquid seal around the mouth of the bottle. But in order to get the brake fluid to drain you need to make sure there is a pressure differential so that’s why there is a small wire to crack open enough air to have the reservoir air pressure the same as the pressure in your garage.

Now bleed as necessary and all you need to make sure is you don’t pull all of the brake fluid thru 😜

AE818C48-A021-4A9D-B009-CCA4F27FE5EF.jpeg

When you are all done bleeding, don't you make a big mess pulling the partly-full brake fluid bottle off the reservoir?

When you are all done bleeding, don't you make a big mess pulling the partly-full brake fluid bottle off the reservoir?
Holy crap good question. I didn't think of that 🤣

Not even in the slightest. The first bottle was empty. The second bottle I just used the paper towel that was there and turned the bottle quickly. Nothing dripped.

Well the Champion all aluminum radiator finally arrived after taking a whirlwind tour of the US going the looooong way. Zero issues with packaging and I don't see anything wrong with it. The quality seems ok. The welds are kinda meh but it'll do that job. If I were still back in LA I would have this anodized but now its no longer an option. Just going to rock it as is. Part no: CC1213 and I ordered from JEGS because they were the only place that seemed to actually have one in stock.

IMG_6638.jpeg

IMG_6639.jpeg

IMG_6640.jpeg

IMG_6641.jpeg

IMG_6642.jpeg

The water pump was trashed. Ordered up a new Toyota TEQ water pump :p

The engine was drained one more time and the block-off plates were removed. Water pump was put on and went with RTV blue on the gasket.

IMG_6469.jpeg

IMG_6471.jpeg

IMG_6539.jpeg

IMG_6570.jpeg

The lower thermostat housing was actually in really good shape so just cleaned it up and reused it after testing the coolant vacuum switches. All good. The upper thermostat housing on the other hand was a complete mess. Really heavy pitting and I didn't see re-using it. A new OEM thermostat was put in and everything put back together:

No issues. Surprised that the housing was still available from Toyota.

Tested fan clutch and it was perfect so just going to rock it.

IMG_6576.jpeg

IMG_6577.jpeg

IMG_6579.jpeg

IMG_6582.jpeg

IMG_6589.jpeg

Oh as the heater hoses were going back in I realized I am still out of the 5/8" Gates Green Stripe so I just went with OEM 5/8" hose and cut up what I needed.

IMG_6571.jpeg

First thing is first. The use of hose water, and lack of a good coolant mixture, has contributed to rust being in the cooling system and its time to remove whatever can be removed. I don't like using all the chemical stuff found in auto parts store. Made some block off plates for the waterpump and thermostat housing openings. Only like to use vinegar (acetic acid) on engine coolant passages. Quick trip to the hardware store and we used the block drain to fill the block. Wanted to fill the vinegar from the bottom up. The top of the heater control pipe was used for burping the system. Used a MightyVac to get the air out from the cavitation in the block.

View attachment 2774997

View attachment 2774998

View attachment 2775000

View attachment 2775001

View attachment 2775002
Any significant or non-obvious differences when doing the vinegar flush with a 1FZ 80?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom