New to the FJ60 world, come share my pain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Never thought of vinegar. I've used dish washer soap taking it for a drive. That's entry level, cleans lots out.
Heater works a test afterwards...
But i will up my game to vinegar next time, maybe I'll get some more crud/rust out!

P

Approximately 2.5 gallons of vinegar were emptied into the block. We kept using the vacuum pump until the big bubbles were out. As the vinegar does its work it will off gas and this will pour vinegar out of the raised tube. It MUST be open to atmosphere so that it doesn't pressurize. It WILL dump a bunch of expanded gases/vinegar if you arent careful. This is going to sit in the truck for a few days then fully flushed with distilled repeatedly.

Did the same with the heater core. Only difference is the vinegar will only be in there overnight. Brass doesn't rust but rust will accumulate since its a low point in the system and only gets usage a few months out of the year.

View attachment 2775003

View attachment 2775004

View attachment 2775005

View attachment 2775006
Glad you posted this here too so I could bookmark it lol.

You say you filled via the block drain. Based on the pics I'm figuring you used a brass adapter so that you could hook a garden hose up to it and fill through the funnel, then used the Mityvac to pull air up from the system through the upper heater hose as you continued to fill through the block drain?

Didn't want to chop up the tailgate to do a lid. Figured I'd let the next owner decide that. But I did at least want to have the carpeting complete so figured there should at least be a tailgate carpet since that is how the truck was made and it was included in the carpet kit. The problem is there was nothing there. Never had a carpet topper since I owned it.

I was able to get a sample shipped to me but holy hell that was rough. And I mean ROUGH. But it at least pointed the way to go. Trying to get press board used originally wasn't worth the effort. But I know I could be marine grade baltic birch. So I went to my local plywood shop here in So. Oregon and got a 5x5' piece of 3mm thick plywood. We roughed out the shape based on the tailgate and used the old piece to give an idea into the shape of the holes. I picked up some door trim retainers from Toyota (67771-12010) and figured out that the plywood was just a touch too wide for the retainers. You can see in the third image where each hole was sanded down to the correct height for the retainer to sit correctly.

At this point the carpet piece was ready to be installed. The problem here is the smallest staples I could find locally were 1/4" long. That would be way too long for 3mm board. The solution was to use a dremel and cut a small section of staples down to 1/8". Turned out freaking perfect. No issues getting the vinyl to stay.

IMG_5965.jpeg

IMG_6341.jpeg

IMG_6338.jpeg

IMG_6404.jpeg

IMG_6410.jpeg

Glad you posted this here too so I could bookmark it lol.

You say you filled via the block drain. Based on the pics I'm figuring you used a brass adapter so that you could hook a garden hose up to it and fill through the funnel, then used the Mityvac to pull air up from the system through the upper heater hose as you continued to fill through the block drain?

Negative. I found a better replacement for the block drain. This one has the spout. The Mightyvac is just to get the air bubbles out.

DSC_2749.JPG

Negative. I found a better replacement for the block drain. This one has the spout. The Mightyvac is just to get the air bubbles out.

View attachment 2782258
I think I'm having an early onset senior moment, because I think I get it but I'm not 100%. You're using the new block drain, and filling through that while burping with the Mityvac (which is connected to the upper heater control hose fitting)?

I think I'm having an early onset senior moment, because I think I get it but I'm not 100%. You're using the new block drain, and filling through that while burping with the Mityvac (which is connected to the upper heater control hose fitting)?

bingo. By the way I deleted the rear heater a decade ago so it was a perfect time to eliminate the rear heater runs. This also means I needed to switch out the dual neck “joint” to the new angle tube one. Much cleaner.

Well I figured I would tell a funny story about my adventures picking up this vehicle and maybe someone can laugh at my pain. BTW I am normally in the 80 section but we needed a second vehicle so I picked up this gem:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/vehicles-trailers-sale-wanted/226192-fj-60-nor-cal-$$1300-00-obo.html

Left Thursday morning from LAX to Sacramento to pick up the truck from Zach (Flight: $140; Running total: $140). His 18 year old sister and her BF pick me up. We almost run over a pedestrian. Sister starts the conversation with, "BTW, Zach said you need to buy a new battery because he couldn't get one". So we stop off at Autozone (Battery: $75.00; Running total: $215).

It takes us 2 hours and 15 minutes to get where the truck is first because I didn't think anyplace had worse traffic than LA, I was wrong. Then where we are going is waaaaay out in BFE. I was waiting for the banjo to start playing. I was starting to feel like I was in a horror movie. You know the one where the star crossed lovers pick up a poor sap trying to buy a truck and they take him out in the middle of no-where and precede to torture and ultimately dismember said poor sap.

So we get there, I still have my arms and legs. We are meeting his mom at her work. So I check out the truck, looks the same as the pics. I check out everything. Checked the fluids, added one gallon of water to the radiator. Checked p/s fluid, whoops! No p/s belt. Ooookaay.

I handed his mom the cash, she fills out all the paperwork. All is well the truck starts fine. It feels JUST like my old FJ40. Nite and day between the LX450 and this. But I like it. They hook me up with a bucket of ice and cold water. Cuz the A/C no workie.

I look down, hmmm, fuel tank is empty. I guess I'm going to the gas station. (Gas: $78.00; Running total: $293)

So I start on the road...windows rolled down. Figured I would start taking notes on little things that I know I will need to fix/change as I notice them. Visor, fix. Seat, replace. Headliner, clean. Ashtray, dump out the packed tight stash of cigarette butts. Ugh.

I've taken enough notes for now. Time for some tunes. Hmm, the radio isn't in its cubby. Must be in the glove compartment. Nope. Maybe in the center console. Nope. Time to pull over and check the back. I pull over and check the back. Awesome...I see the 6x9 holes, but no 6x9 speakers. Hmm, I see wiring for bass tube but no bass tube. Hmm, I see wiring for amp, but no amp. Then I look closer at the radio. The wires have been cut. All of them.

I drive back to Zach's mom's work and ask if MAYBE the radio equipment has been removed and gingerly packed for me just in case someone were to steal it all. Nope, turns out from the time it was at his mom's house to the time I picked it up (less than 24 hours), some knuckle dragger decided he wanted the stereo stuff more than I did. (I'm not going to add the cost of the stereo yet because I have no idea what its going to cost me to replace). At this point I am thinking about walking away from the deal. But I decided you know what, Zach will make good on it and we'll just work it out somehow. Besides, his mom gave all the cash to his sister and she took off with her BF. My cash is long gone by now.

Oh well, on the road again.

So I start driving. I am now at mile 111 WITHOUT a radio!!! and I'm falling asleep. Ok time for food. I stop off in Merced (armpit of California) at the Carl's Jr. on V Street. Judging by the copious amounts of tweakers I'm going to guess that "V" stands for "Venereal".

Food in stomach and I'm feeling awake again. Start truck, back up, break for tweaker, put in into first. Hmm, that's strange, the shifter won't go into 1st. Maybe 2nd? Nope. Reverse? Yup. I can drive home in reverse for the next, oh I don't know, 309 FUTHER MUCKING MILES!!!!

I try everything. Finally I turn off the truck and jam the gear into first. I push in the clutch and as I start it, the truck's starter is lurching the truck forward. Clutch is totally toast. I start pushing the truck AFTER I manage to get the thing out of gear, which took a good 20 mins. Which turns out to be pretty nerve racking when you are stuck in the middle of the intersection where the off ramp to the 99 freeway is. Two guys take pity of me and help push me to the Jack in the Box.

From here I call my wife, Zach, Zach's mom and of course...good ole AAA.

Then my cell phone battery dies. Dead. Nothing.

So AT LEAST everyone knows I'm stuck and roughly where I am. By the time AAA gets there with a flatbed its now 8:45PM. I had been waiting for him for over 2.5 hours! During this time I went walking for a few blocks to learn that the wonderful city of Merced has done me the favor of ridding itself of payphones. Awesome.

Drop off truck at the Toyota Stealership. I ask the tow truck driver where the nearest train station is. "Oh its about 3 miles South on 16". Ok, so I ask to see if MAYBE he would be driving that way and can take pity. Nope, no such luck. So I hoof it. AT night. In Merced. The tweaker capitol of California. I make it to the train station. Next train is at midnight. Screw that noise. I walk to Greyhound, the doors are locked. I'm screwed. I look out back and I see people so I go back there. I talk to the bus driver in my lousy attempt at sounding like I know Spanish. Sure he can take me, that'll be $40. (Bus: $40.00; Running total: $333).

I think I should have asked if there was going to be 6 stops with half an hour wait time at each stop. Man I'm dumb. I'll spare you the insights I gained while driving in a Greyhound bus. Needless to say we arrive in Downtown Los Angeles at 4:30. I walk outside and grab a taxi. I get home at 5:05AM. (Taxi: $80.00; Running total: $413). Shower and I cry myself to sleep by 6:00AM. Only to wake up at 7AM because I have to help the MRS. prepare the food for the 4th party we are going to.

So. I am out $1300 for the truck. I am out the truck. I am out $413. I will have to pay at least $300 for a piece of junk radio, amp, speakers to replace the probably $5-600 system he had in there. And I will be out the $800 the stealership will want to do the clutch job.

Needless to say I am pissed, I am angry. But I'm not pissed at Zach, just pissed at the lousy situation I am in right now. Sooo, I guess now I am hoping for suggestions. Somehow I need to get that truck here to LA, with or without a working clutch.
Well next time! you should always bring a truck with a trailer to tow it, any land cruiser that is that cheap is a pile. I have beat the s*** out of my fj60 in the Colorado mountains for 30 years now and it still runs great (original everything ) except for old man emu suspension. They are classics and if your going to fix it up DO IT RIGHT!!!

Thanks to CityRacer I have a new OEM heater control valve since mine was about to become toast.

All of the heater pipes were an electrolysis case study. All of them were a mess but none had holes. Just pitted pretty bad. None of these pipes are available from Toyota any longer so it meant repairing what I had. JB Weld was the solution here. JB Weld fills all the pitting and makes the tubes next to perfect. They will get lightly scuffed to remove the waxy feel so that the new OEM rubber hoses have something better to bond too.

IMG_6398.jpeg

IMG_6400.jpeg

IMG_6401.jpeg

IMG_6402.jpeg

IMG_6403.jpeg

Thanks to CityRacer I have a new OEM heater control valve since mine was about to become toast.

All of the heater pipes were an electrolysis case study. All of them were a mess but none had holes. Just pitted pretty bad. None of these pipes are available from Toyota any longer so it meant repairing what I had. JB Weld was the solution here. JB Weld fills all the pitting and makes the tubes next to perfect. They will get lightly scuffed to remove the waxy feel so that the new OEM rubber hoses have something better to bond too.

View attachment 2782936

View attachment 2782937

View attachment 2782938

View attachment 2782939

View attachment 2782940
Have you done the JB Weld trick before with good results? I had considered it for a couple of my rear heater lines (yep I wanna keep mine lol), but haven't yet done it since I wasn't sure it was viable for a long lasting repair.

Got in a near perfect center console from Brandon at CruiserClassics. The RX leather seats meant removing the cup holders and shifting the mounting about 1/4” but came out nicely.

Made up some felt liners for it.

B5C734B8-266C-447C-9341-57F0E346A457.jpeg

6B03E717-61CF-4F26-874C-DC311A4650E8.jpeg

FD6D7A74-BFCE-4843-B060-FA38CB008669.jpeg

New radiator hoses and clamps:

New drive belts:

New bypass hose and clamps:

New vacuum hoses:

Found the drain bolt I wanted. The 60series 2F OEM one has a stupid hole on the bottom that just dumps everywhere. Found a replacement that comes with the spout that allows you to attach a hose.

Found the drain bolt I wanted. The 60series 2F OEM one has a stupid hole on the bottom that just dumps everywhere. Found a replacement that comes with the spout that allows you to attach a hose.

2F-Block-Drain-new__22751.1631482012.png

"cock assembly"

Joey pls

New radiator hoses and clamps:

New drive belts:

New bypass hose and clamps:

New vacuum hoses:
I still can't fathom why Toyota opted for the wire style clamps on many instances rather than the spring clamps. To my experience the spring clamps are far superior.

After letting the vinegar sit in the engine for exactly one week, and with constant agitation (shaking), we finally flushed out the vinegar. We captured the first four gallons and it was a thicker rusty mess. Dark brown and lots of small chunks.

After the first four gallons the water lightebened up and we just let the water flow for a good 10/15 mins. Every five mins a sample was taken to see where we were with color. At the end the color was finally clear. Once done the water fill hose was removed and 100psi was pumped in to get as much water out as possible. It sure seemed liked we got the bulk of it out.

We then filled up the block against with 2.5 gallons of distilled. That will sit until the radiator and new thermostat upper housing arrives on Thursday. Once those get here the water will be drained again and then Toyota red 50/50 will be added in.

28406E5F-F891-4BC5-B689-002D8FDE3830.jpeg

BE0118F5-7FAE-4092-B053-0317F19A027A.jpeg

3EFF608E-A5DF-4BE4-AA04-080AE6B2A0D1.jpeg

652AF82E-621A-4619-BA34-B3D846AB5CF9.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom