New carb, still stalling when hot. FJ60 rebuild fun! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Otose thanks! I've been running my first one, the prototype most of this year and it's been great. No blown fuses, and the extra fat cables to the alternator and battery stopped my headlights, HVAC fan, and windshield wipers from slowing down or dimming at idle. I generally run at 13.7-13.9V at idle once warm - before it was 13.0-13.3V and each accessory turned on would cause a fairly big voltage drop. I've upgraded or cleaned all of my grounds, so there's that too. Electrical upgrades are about the system as a whole, but the fusible link replacement kit is a big piece of it for me.

Anyway, that manual will have much better diagrams than the dirty sticker in your engine bay. It's good to see a breakdown of the different systems too - that helps make the vac line spaghetti less intimidating.

@CruiserTrash, @Seth S - bit of an update and looking for some experience on the machining of the intake. Worked my way through most of the emissions manual without finding too much new trouble. Went back to vacuum 101 and decided to pull the intake and install a new gasket. Based on how it all looked after disassembly, seems to be the right call. Have the intake / exhaust back together and have gone through some old (2020 ish) threads on machining the manifold surfaces flat. Question is how do you handle the horns on either end? Haven't talked to the machine shop yet, so maybe they will have an idea, but thought to see what the experience here was.... thanks for the look! Will head up to the machine shop tomorrow morning which is about an hour away.

@CruiserTrash, @Seth S - bit of an update and looking for some experience on the machining of the intake. Worked my way through most of the emissions manual without finding too much new trouble. Went back to vacuum 101 and decided to pull the intake and install a new gasket. Based on how it all looked after disassembly, seems to be the right call. Have the intake / exhaust back together and have gone through some old (2020 ish) threads on machining the manifold surfaces flat. Question is how do you handle the horns on either end? Haven't talked to the machine shop yet, so maybe they will have an idea, but thought to see what the experience here was.... thanks for the look! Will head up to the machine shop tomorrow morning which is about an hour away.
I’ve never had mine machined but I think for whatever brief moment they’re being machined they would just give them a quick spot weld to hold them in place.

Also, not sure if it’s been discussed with the low vacuum, but have you done a valve adjustment?

I’ve never had mine machined but I think for whatever brief moment they’re being machined they would just give them a quick spot weld to hold them in place.

Also, not sure if it’s been discussed with the low vacuum, but have you done a valve adjustment?
Thanks for the feedback. Valve adjustment has been done a few thousand miles ago - haven't rechecked, thinking it should still be good...

The machine shop usually gets the horns positioned properly on the manifold and then tack welds them in place. They might have another method but the intake and exhaust all get surfaced together

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom