New 60 carpet for sale! January 2, 2023 UPDATE (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 87 has tool kit on rear panel

Sorry for the delay folks. We've been working on tweaking the design for the later models a bit. More on that in just a minute. First:Well, I'm checking to see if anyone can confirm that the greys are different. It would be hard to imagine the 60 grey being lighter, as it's a VERY dark grey (they all faded out lighter VERY quickly), and I'm confident I got the correct shade, as this was a sample (lower color) I cut from under a console that had never been removed. It was very clean, and much more supple than the other carpets I found. Whether it's dead on or not, I can't imagine being able to come up with a more "correct" sample than this. If the 62 is darker, it's an extremely dark grey. Bottom line: as I mentioned in my first post, only OEM is going to be dead-on. I believe it'll be close enough for a 60 or 62 that you won't be disappointed (Caveat: this is all contingent upon the dye house replicating it like they said they could. The first grey carpets aren't in yet, so I'll have to report once they're in.) For comparison, here's the photo of the two samples again:

View attachment 1494616

Mike, there was a floor shape change sometime between '85 and '86. Please see below

Unfortunately, I'm thinking I remember the mfr. telling me early on that vinyl floors wouldn't be an option. I may have dreamed that, so I'll check in with them again tomorrow

I'm still thinking there was only one grey color. If anyone has information that says otherwise, please let me know......

OK, now for a little update on the floor change I mentioned before: @cruiser enthuiser notified me that there was a floor change in the models after 1985, and we have been studying the change. I want to make sure it wasn't implemented during model year 1985, because there were some major changes that took place in I think 5/85. In any event, my two 4/85 60s have one type of floor, and my '86 60 and my '88 62 have another. I'm posting photos below so you can determine which floor you have. We're working to get all of that straightened out. Please stay tuned (we worked and worked to try to cover all the bases before we even mentioned the carpet being available, and now this! :bang: Hopefully, we'll get it straightened out before the grey carpet material gets here..........)

At least thru April 1985 floor ("Early Floor")

View attachment 1494600

At least 1986 (maybe earlier) floor ("Late Floor")

View attachment 1494606

Early Floor passenger side view with carpet

View attachment 1494614

Late Floor side view with carpet

View attachment 1494615

@dnp I can confirm that on my 10/85 FJ60 that I have the first iteration of floor. I can take some pictures later tonight if you would like for me to confirm for you. I just recently upgraded my seats to PTCruiser seats and definitely have the "barrier wall" that holds the front seat like your 4/85 picture.

10/85 as well. Tools are under driver seat. The grey carpet almost looks like it has a hint of blue in my 85. I was able to get samples from an 87 and it does look different. I was also goint to swap pass side seatbelt and the color is just a bit off. I need a set

OK, here's the latest: The mfr. is being a hesitant with me on going to the extra expense of making a new floor mold (for the "later" floor), because they (a) spent the money to create a mold for the "early" floor already, (b) spent a LOT more money to produce a new, non-stock grey carpet based on the original '85 color sample I sent them, and (c) are now being asked to spend MORE money to create another floor mold......all without having sold any carpet to recoup any of their money. While I explained to them the project had only been kicked off thru me for a week, they're still sounding reluctant......and I can sort of understand.

All that being said (and this is why I didn't immediately respond to those of you asking for shipped pricing already), in order to show the mfr. that we're a real market for their goods, I want to offer a everyone a deal to get this project off the ground:

For the next 7 days - starting today, 7/13/2017 and ending 7/20/2017, I am going to offer the above-described full carpet sets for $50 off the originally-stated $420 (making the temporary offered price $370 + actual shipping). This will be for the "early" floor only, as this effort is trying to convince them to go ahead with the "later" floor, and both colors will be available (I was told the grey will be arriving at the plant today). I can only offer this deal for a week to generate volume for the early floor, because it isn't even worth my time and effort at this price for longer than that. (If this works, and if the mfr. consents to producing carpet for the later floor, I may run another limited-time special for those floors, just to be fair.) THEREFORE, if you need new carpet for your early-floor 60, I can't imagine ever being able to find any carpet cheaper than this anywhere, any time.

If you want a full set at this reduced price, please do the following:
  • First, please check to make SURE you have the early floor! As of this writing, it looks like this floor design was produced as late as an October, 1985 build date (your build date is stamped on your VIN plate on the driver's door B pillar). The photos below show the difference in the floors. The easiest way to visually tell if you have the early floor is if your front seat track sits against the floor, vs. the later floor where the seat sits off the floor. (Thanks to those of you who have sent in personal accounts of build dates / floor designs. This is the kind of effort that makes IH8MUD such an incredible resource!)
  • Second, I need your FULL shipping address, not just the zip code! The full address will allow the mfr. to price drop-shipping, which will save you a lot of money. You can PM me with that info to keep it private. I will be compiling a list from each day, and I will send that list to the mfr. at the end of the day for shipping calculations. I will respond to you with a full shipped price as soon as I hear from them the next day. I'll also keep a running tally on this thread of people who are "in."
  • Third, don't forget to mention which color you need: Brown or Grey (By the way: should any of you want colors OTHER than brown or grey, please let me know. There are other shades of brown and grey and myriad other colors. Cut pile is also an option....)
Sorry I've run into this unexpected problem, but it looks like it's providing an opportunity for those of you with early floors who want carpet. Hopefully, enough of you will seize this opportunity, and it'll convince the mfr. to invest in a new later floor mold (if they agree, I've still got to send my 62 to them to act as the floor "buck"). Thankfully, turnaround time on the molds is surprisingly fast.

REMEMBER: $420 was already WAY cheaper than other carpet out there, so don't miss your opportunity to buy at $370! Even if you don't need it now, it'd be worth buying now and saving for later!

For visual reference, I am posting the floor differences again below........

Early floor

Early floor side view with carpet.JPG

Later floor

Late Floor side view with carpet.JPG

Last edited:
Still in on the 85 brown. Just sent you a follow up PM. Also, I have an 87 in grey, so plan on waiting for that mold to happen. If it does not happen I'll go with the earlier as I think it can be modified a bit to make it work. Will definitely make that call down the road. Thanks for what you're doing!
Jim

PM sent and thanks for persevering with the project.

Kudos to the early adopters! Waiting around for the carpet that'll fit an 87

Looking forward to the square eyes (62's) to get some carpet love.
Yeah, me too! The demand is there, so I'm pushing on the mfr to acknowledge it and agree to make a mold. If they will, I've got a truck waiting to send them for that purpose.

hey!

does that red truck have grey front seats? dibs if yes?

Nice job and kudos for your attention to detail. The quality appears far above that of the national retailers. I could always use a back-up rug. Put me on your prospect list for upcoming 1988FJ62 carpet availability.

Nice job and kudos for your attention to detail. The quality appears far above that of the national retailers. I could always use a back-up rug. Put me on your prospect list for upcoming 1988FJ62 carpet availability.
Gotcha down. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom