This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to replace the carpet in my 60, and based on the ACC website there is a year break when ordering from 81-85 and 86-87. Wondering what the difference would be?? Really do not need carpet that bad with only 132k miles on it....but why not! Good opportunity for some sound deadening

I do know that the front seat brackets and mounts changed sometime late '85 or '86, I'm not positive when, so maybe the carpet is slightly different because of that. I purchased their carpet for my July of '85 cruiser which has the early seat mounts and for the money I think the carpet is well made, fits nice, and seems durable.

I do know that the front seat brackets and mounts changed sometime late '85 or '86, I'm not positive when, so maybe the carpet is slightly different because of that. I purchased their carpet for my July of '85 cruiser which has the early seat mounts and for the money I think the carpet is well made, fits nice, and seems durable.
Which brings me to the next question, mine is an Oct 85, wonder how to tell which brackets it would have?

You might want to check rock auto. I bought the carpet from them as they were more affordable than anyone else. Also, if you change between the '85 and '86 images, you can see the difference in the molding around the seat mounts. More prominent on the '85. That might help to determine what you need?

generally the changes all happened at one time,
if you have the later 1 piece trans crossmember it should be the later carpet kit

but

you can post a pic or 2 of the front seat inner front mount area and get an accurate guess

When I was working with them to create the 60/62 carpet, we found the early floor runs up to December, 1985. The late floor starts March, 1986 (at least that’s the closest I’ve been able to narrow it down.) I don’t know if there was a gap in production at that point or if I’ve just never had a request for carpet for a 1/86 or 2/86 truck. If anyone runs across a truck produced in those two months, let me know, and we’ll figure out which floor it has. (You can also see photos of both floors on my carpet thread.)

If I can help in supplying anyone with carpet, just send me a PM.

dnp

When I was working with them to create the 60/62 carpet, we found the early floor runs up to December, 1985. The late floor starts March, 1986 (at least that’s the closest I’ve been able to narrow it down.) I don’t know if there was a gap in production at that point or if I’ve just never had a request for carpet for a 1/86 or 2/86 truck. If anyone runs across a truck produced in those two months, let me know, and we’ll figure out which floor it has. (You can also see photos of both floors on my carpet thread.)

If I can help in supplying anyone with carpet, just send me a PM.

dnp
@dnp is the only source to even consider for replacement carpet.

Best value, best quality, closest to stock, and is a member here providing support in real time.

I put new carpet in my Sep '85 cruiser this past summer. I pulled the seats, door cards and rear side panels, pulled all the old carpet, pressure washed the interior (what was left of it), then laid down a bunch of sound deadener and installed the carpet.
I was steered toward the '86-'87 carpet kit because my cruiser is a late '85 model. If I were to do it over, I' would have bought the '81-'85 kit instead. The front footwell and transmission area and the cargo area are the same for both. Only the section in the middle is different. The '86-'87 kit has a huge area of missing carpet where the park brake and center console is. I would have prefered more carpet in this area and if I needed to remove some - removed it myself. Also, the molding for the front seat rear legs is a lot more shallow in the '86-'87 kit. I had to cut the carpet and let the seat mounts push up through the carpet to make it lay flat. So my rear mounts are uncarpeted. It looks fine, but it doesn't look stock.
The only difference I see from the '86-'87 kit and the FJ62 kit is that the FJ62 kit has a notch on the side of the cargo area.
Also - most places are all getting their carpet kits made from the same source (Auto Custom Carpets (ACC)). The price varies wildly. Rock Auto has it for $300. Buying straight from the ACC website will cost nearly $650. And I've seen prices at other locations in between. I have a hard time believing they are using totally different quality of carpet for all these. But maybe?

When you start laying the carpet, start at the back and move your way forward. The hardest part of the install is cutting the holes for the shifter arms and getting the t-case boot bolted back down. The underlayment on the carpet has voids that don't really line up with where the holes are needed - so don't let them fool you.

Last edited:
Yeah, being an ‘85, you should have had the early floor set (‘81-‘85) Your front seat risers are much too tall to fit in the shallow pockets of the later floor. Also, ‘86 FJ60 through ‘90 FJ62 are all the same (notch in the cargo area), as the tool kit moved from under the driver’s seat to inside a compartment in the driver’s side cargo panel.

As for installation, I include a 60/62 installation guide I wrote with all orders. It’ll save a lot of time and helps prevent errors with an install. There are DEFINITELY some do’s and don’t’s with these installs.

dnp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom