Need some advice/help with leaf springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, I am looking for some lift springs. (front and back)

I am looking anything from 2-2.5 inches.

Does anyone have a go-to place, I have looked on ccot, and cruiser corp. They sell kits, but I'm just looking for leaf springs.

Thanks,
Jackson

I just installed 2.5 Pro Comp springs on mine, great to pair with a set of Bilstein shocks. Love the ride on and off road! Summit has them for an easy order.

IMG_8954.jpg

Now that I mention it, I need to call tomorrow as well. The other day I noticed one of the leafs on my '76 FJ40 is broken - they're the original springs, so they're due for replacement.

Does anyone have a go-to place, I have looked on ccot, and cruiser corp. They sell kits, but I'm just looking for leaf springs.

Thanks,
Jackson

Skyjacker sells the whole lift kits, but they also sell just springs (and you want their matching bushings) - you can order direct from them, or through 4Wheel Parts (which has often saved me the shipping costs)

Last edited:
^^^ I replaced just my fronts with skyjackers. Ordered from 4 Wheel Parts along with bushings and selected in-store pickup and had them in just a few days. I’m very pleased with the skyjackers, they ride noticeably better than the OME springs they replaced. Now I need to do the same in the rear.

Mine is 1970, just ordered procomp 2.5” springs and their u bolt kit, as well as bilstein shocks. Front spring part # is exp 31252, rear is exp 31253, u bolt kit exp 50090. I ordered from procomp, but I’ve had great luck and quick shipping from summit for stuff like this.

I'm not too sure I'm on the same line than everyone on the OME.
I have them installed for more than 2 years now. They ride very comfortably, empty the shackle angle feels correct both front and back. Actually last spring when I did a 2-weeks roadtrip I found the rear was taking too much angle loaded (and I was not that much loaded). I would more complain that once you break them in, they are a tad too soft for the load you expect to be able to carry in a 40. If one day I setup my 40 a little more for travel I may have to go for add-a-leaf in the rear.

For the little story, 10 days ago I was at a local 40 gathering and was leading a little convoy around. On a very rocky and stepped trail the BJ45 and HJ61 following me asked what I did to my suspension because they were not able to keep up and were bounced around in their vehicle.

Thanks,
Jackson

if the shackles and pins are original, you are best to get a "kit"
replace the pins and shackles as the old ones will be in bad shape
you will need all new bushings
you will want new shocks also

Adding to 3-Puppies’ statement. Some springs have different eyelet size than stock and aftermarket shackle & spring pins can have different diameters so matching up the correct size bushings can get tricky, where it becomes easy to wind up with a collection of bushings that fit nothing you own. I have such a collection.
Keep in mind, bushings have four dimensions.
  • Inner diameter.
  • Outer diameter.
  • Length
  • Flange thickness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom