My WARN 8274 rebuild part 1..... (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Then I read something about the solinoid panel having to be grounded. So I took some paint off the xp motor housing and low and behold It started all working. Does this sound right?
Yes.

The solenoids ground to their mounting plate. The plate grounds to the motor when it's clamped to it. (The motor has the ground wire from the battery attached to a lug on the case.) So, if there isn't good contact due to paint, etc., the circuit will not be complete.

When I did the resto on my 8274, I added an additional short ground wire from the solenoid plate to the motor ground lug.

Newbie here. I just finished rebuilding my 8274 from the mid 80s. It had the origonal motor so I wanted to replace it with the xp motor. So I ordered it up and installed it. Every thing went smoothly until I went to bench test everything. So the wiring was supposed to all be the same right? I replaced the f1 and f2 and a wires with 2 gauge. Nothing worked when I hooked it all up. Then I read something about the solinoid panel having to be grounded. So I took some paint off the xp motor housing and low and behold It started all working. Does this sound right? I can't find an answer any where! I have had no luck finding any info on wiring up a new xp motor to an older style wiring setup. Thanks in advance

I replaced my original motor with a 9.5XP motor eight years ago; if I remember correctly, I had to switch the F1 and F2 cables to get it to spool in and out correctly for the old controller.

But yeah, your solenoid pack does need to be grounded.

Newbie here. I just finished rebuilding my 8274 from the mid 80s. It had the origonal motor so I wanted to replace it with the xp motor. So I ordered it up and installed it. Every thing went smoothly until I went to bench test everything. So the wiring was supposed to all be the same right? I replaced the f1 and f2 and a wires with 2 gauge. Nothing worked when I hooked it all up. Then I read something about the solinoid panel having to be grounded. So I took some paint off the xp motor housing and low and behold It started all working. Does this sound right? I can't find an answer any where! I have had no luck finding any info on wiring up a new xp motor to an older style wiring setup. Thanks in advance

The motor should make no difference. A D/C motor is very simple in its operation. For our purposes we want it to run both directions (forward and reverse) subject to our choosing. This is accomplished by simply reversing the polarity of the current.

Switching any two leads of this type D/C motor will reverse the polarity of the current (and hence the direction the motor turns). But that would require physically moving the leads (F1,F2,A). Instead of doing that the current is switched through the use of Solenoids in the solenoid pack (or other controller).

Since your winch in a mid 80's it is most likely a '3 wire' set up. See the diagram below for proper wiring.

And yes, the motor must be grounded. Also...the solenoid 'box' generally has a small ground wire going from it to the motor to provide its ground.

8274threewirediagram.jpg

8274threewire.jpg

Thank you all for the quick responses! It looks like everything is setup right then. I will upload photos when I figured it out on this forum. I am very happy with my rebuild. I was going to buy a new winch, and bumper for my 81 k30 when my I suddenly thought to myself "I can build all it this". It was combating the 20 degree weather in my little garage that was the issue. But I've done it!

My wife hand painted the warn logo and the trees on the bumper and I cleared over it.

Nice!

I would also consider adding the short grounding wire to the solenoid pack mounting plate. Here's a pic of mine:

20190102_115138.jpg

IIRC, it's just a 12ga wire. I attached it to one of the solenoid mounting bolts and the ground stud with simple ring terminals.

Nice!

I would also consider adding the short grounding wire to the solenoid pack mounting plate. Here's a pic of mine:

View attachment 1868512

IIRC, it's just a 12ga wire. I attached it to one of the solenoid mounting bolts and the ground stud with simple ring terminals.
Perfect. Im going to do that today. One of my issues with the newer xp motor was the end cap on the motor was bigger and hitting my solenoid mounting bolts so I had to take out those 2. It fits now. I will tinker with it some more

One more question. Where does the washer that's included with the new motor go? My old motor don't have a washer between the bearing at the gear on the motor??

One more question. Where does the washer that's included with the new motor go? My old motor don't have a washer between the bearing at the gear on the motor??
Oooooh.... I don't recall. But looking through a couple of my pics before I tore mine apart, I believe it goes inside the case between the bearing and the gear. Someone with a better memory (and pics) will probably know for sure. Doesn't really seem to do much, unless the gear slides too far. Then it will prevent it from tearing into the bearing.

The ones I've seen online that say they are for Warn winches are generally rated @ 250 amps and the ones you have pictured are rated @ 100 amps. Best to get the real deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom