My WARN 8274 rebuild part 1.....

I tried everything, even pulled with a come along. I took the brake apart with great effort (heat and three jaw puller worked very slowly). Everything is locked up and rusted. It is in such bad shape, I ordered a complete brake assembly for a total replacement.

I have converted one of my 8274s to an superwinch contactor and ordered a second one for my other 8274. I will have two complete stock four solenoid setups in a week or so. They are working perfectly fine (1978 and 1981 vintage) and still have all the motor wires attached (4 AWG) and mounting screws. If anybody doing a rebuild wants these, I will give them away for the cost of mailing from Alaska. I guess it might be $20, but whatever the USPS charges. Just ask.

And probably a dumb question, but is there any way to add drain/fill plugs without welding? I'd have to pay a shop for that.

chupacabra

Any source on the superwinch contactor now that they're out of business? Not available on summit anymore.
That's too bad, especially since Superwinch didn't make them, they just sourced them from somewhere else.

They're more expensive, but Warn sells one (that they put in their newer top-line winches). To be fair, it looks like a heavier-duty / more current capacity unit than the Superwinch one that Summit used to sell.

And probably a dumb question, but is there any way to add drain/fill plugs without welding? I'd have to pay a shop for that.
The case isn't thick enough; there would be hardly any threads to hold them in. That's why folks weld in bungs. But the change interval is pretty long (I put synthetic gear lube in mine, and I've never changed it in eight years) and the top of the gear case comes off easily when you do change it. Unless you're constantly submerging your 8274, I personally don't see the need for fill and drain plugs, but there is the cool factor no doubt.

That's too bad, especially since Superwinch didn't make them, they just sourced them from somewhere else.

They're more expensive, but Warn sells one (that they put in their newer top-line winches). To be fair, it looks like a heavier-duty / more current capacity unit than the Superwinch one that Summit used to sell.

The case isn't thick enough; there would be hardly any threads to hold them in. That's why folks weld in bungs. But the change interval is pretty long (I put synthetic gear lube in mine, and I've never changed it in eight years) and the top of the gear case comes off easily when you do change it. Unless you're constantly submerging your 8274, I personally don't see the need for fill and drain plugs, but there is the cool factor no doubt.
Thanks. I was hoping to find a cheaper alternative than the Warn option.

I have written Summit to see if they are going to restock the superwinch conductor once Westin Automotive gets up to speed with the buyout of Superwinch. Have not heard back yet (may never).

I regard to the drain plug. After I get my gears back in, I am thinking about putting in a fill plug on the top only. I have a vacuum oil extractor. I am thinking I can pull the old oil with that and backfill with 6 ozs from the top. I was using the vacuum pump to change the oil anyway - so I didn’t have to take that heavy winch off the truck. I just need to find a place on the top that will allow the suction hose to get by the gears. The oil in mine was ten years old when I started my recent maintenance overhaul. No water - but it really need to be changed. 10 years was to long.

flintknapper

SILVER Star

Yes, it is addressed early in this thread. A number of ways to do it. Fill plug is the simplest. Drain plug can be done easily with a Hex Pipe Nipple. The case is thick enough to tap a couple of threads into it then back it up (on the inside) with an electrical conduit nut. JB the threads before tightening it up (not TOO tight). Mine hasn't leaked in however many years old this thread is.

See post # 12

Willard

SILVER Star

Any source on the superwinch contactor now that they're out of business? Not available on summit anymore.
At one time they were an Albright unit, but later knocked them off for a cheaper one.
I ordered my Albright out of the UK.

Last edited:

roadstr6

SILVER Star
I drilled and tapped the top and bottom of my 8274 for fill / drain plugs. I just used 3/8"-16 x 1/2" set screws and a wrap of teflon tape. Hasn't leaked a drop in 4+ years.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1425341205.785250.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1425341293.370674.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1425341264.422106.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1425341225.954074.jpg

I also drilled and tapped the end plate for grease zerks.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1425437317.282050.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom