My TLC experience (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That was fun. Rough. Great views. Good times. Even found a fire wielding monkey.

20221014_101124.jpg

20221014_120505.jpg

20221014_121204.jpg

20221014_121347.jpg

20221014_131555.jpg

Having that onboard compressor is the tits.
I need to get the air lockers in.
Locked the hubs, but kept it in two low the whole time.

That was fun! Glad you invited me!

That was fun! Glad you invited me!

1. Super cool riding and chatting with another cruiser dork.
2. Having someone with who has been on the trail before is valuable to me like you can't imagine.
3. Knowing you've got way more experience on any trail than me helped my confidence immensely.

Thank you for coming today DJ. It was truly a pleasure and I'm glad you could make it.

1. Super cool riding and chatting with another cruiser dork.
2. Having someone with who has been on the trail before is valuable to me like you can't imagine.
3. Knowing you've got way more experience on any trail than me helped my confidence immensely.

Thank you for coming today DJ. It was truly a pleasure and I'm glad you could make it.

Glad I could help out. Tincup is a fun pass! It was great riding with you and the dog! (I think I liked the dog better though :rofl: )

Spent half of today waiting for a freight truck that never showed up. Grrrr.

Got some stupid projects done today though while waiting.

Swapped out my old steering wheel pad that was deformed and cracked for a used replacement in much better condition.

Old
20221028_063903.jpg

Still old, but in better shape. 😆
20221028_065059.jpg

I removed the column cover before actually looking how it attached. Not necessary to do that.

I think I came up with a workable plan for mounting the head unit. The bracket under the radio is still there, and I think will give adequate support. I cut a couple of pieces of angled aluminum and attached them to the sides of the head unit. Those will press up against the backside of the dash with the faceplate pulling it tight.

20221028_143459.jpg

20221028_143446.jpg

In the hole that was apparently created by an angry beaver.

20221028_143044.jpg

Face plate in place.
20221028_143008.jpg

I also got all of the aluminum knobs from Redline Landcruisers put on. I want to flip the rear locker switch with the hazard switch, but it'll require hacking up the harness to make that happen, and I'm not interested in doing that.

20221028_142822.jpg

And powered up. I ran the USB inputs to the glove box. Seemed like an easy solution. I'd like to find something similar to the USB port I have already, but be able to plug into head unit that way. I'm struggling with the correct search term to find one though.

20221028_163021.jpg

I still don't have any speakers mounted.

Any tips or good examples of how to get wires into the doors?

I need to make some tweaks to the face plate before cutting a final. Mostly getting the letters to work correctly, and I need to add some material to the backside at the bottom. It'd be nice to get this sorted. This might be better in a printed material as well.

Haven't done anything real productive in the way of projects. I have been helping Dakota Digital get their new CANBUS module to talk to the R2.8 by acting as a test monkey.

Winter is here. We've only gotten a little bit of snow, so the roads are covered in Toyota dissolving chemicals and salt quite yet.
This coming week will be warm, and likely my last driving the 40 for the year.

Got to play a little in the tiny bit of snow we've got this afternoon though, and let the dog run.

20221120_142238.jpg

20221120_141744.jpg

20221120_142811.jpg

20221120_142758.jpg

Good thing it's getting all new rear brakes with the rear locker in a couple of weeks. With zero investigation, I'm betting I've got a leaky wheel cylinder.

20221208_170812.jpg

Good thing it's getting all new rear brakes with the rear locker in a couple of weeks. With zero investigation, I'm betting I've got a leaky wheel cylinder.

View attachment 3188670
@Poser for the win on rear disc. I had one or more frozen cylinders and it was comparable in price to upgrade to poser’s kit. Super easy since you are pulling the third anyways.

@Poser for the win on rear disc. I had one or more frozen cylinders and it was comparable in price to upgrade to poser’s kit. Super easy since you are pulling the third anyways.
I'm actually going to the newer style drums so I can recoup my parking brake.

The fluid might be cat piss. And I have cats living in the garage of the place I'm living.
Somebody on IG pointed out that, and it should be leaking down the inside of the wheel. Which makes total sense.

Last edited:
What drums are you going to be using?

What drums are you going to be using?

I think it's 84 and up? or 8/80 and up? Then there's a parking brake that is in the drum instead of the one mounted on the transfer case. Probably the same brake setup you've got I would think. I should have all of the parts here. Somewhere..... In the piles of other boxes of parts awaiting their moment.

You have to use an a-dapter kit to make it work with the semi float. FJ Company sells them. I bought a pair from Nolen on here.

Being my 80 is purely a beater and not worth putting effort into, I might just steal the E handle out of it and bolt it to the tranny cover in the 40. Or, buy a new one. Dude in florida on here has done a few installs with this brake setup. He's putting together the cables I need.

I have 80 calipers on the rear of mine. Yes, I kinda wish I would have kept the 60 drums to retain the parking brake..

I think the guy in Florida is who built my brackets I have now?? What was the name of the guy who is making your cables?

Ah. I didn't realize you were disc in the back. I wonder how much difficulty there would be in converting a 60 axle to 80 rear brakes entirely? Then you'd have a parking brake again.

But you have park! At least you don't have to worry about your rig rolling away.

@cruisermatt is who has done the conversion a few times.

Look at this handsome MFer here! I think this was just after that dingus in the side by side just about piled into me.

20221009_125343.jpg

Last edited:
I think that was when that sxs came cruising around us!!

Yes, I was thinking I would try to put all of the 80 rear brake hardware in when I get this FF axle in here shortly.

I bought a wrap of wrenches, and a little soft case with a 3/8" ratchet, and sockets for doing minor repairs when the only thing available, is what you brought with.

The socket kit did not have a 14mm socket in it, so I ordered one to complete the kit.

I have 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19mm sockets.
But, I want to remove one of those sockets being I do not have space for the one that I added to the kit.

Any of those sizes not necessary? I feel like there isn't anything 18mm that I would need to get at, but I could easily be wrong.
I don't know off the top of my head anything that is 13mm, but it comes in handy as a substitute for a 1/2" when needed.

BTW, with virtually no use, the first impression of Wera stuff is, it's pretty nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom