My TLC experience (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ha! I've been keeping track of everything in a spreadsheet. I also have suppliers, part numbers, and links for things I haven't gotten yet on there. I like that for keeping things straight as far as what has been acquired, and what needs to be acquired.

Plus a wishlist.
I made a list of everything I needed (and wanted) as well. Crossed items off as I purchased them. I also built a spreadsheet, but AFTER I was done. The cost of my build not including buying my rig, totaled in the high twenties. Once I buy new doors and finish the top it’ll be kissing $30,000.

Last edited:
My mantra during my rebuild was to replace everything with new if I could afford it. There are plenty of original parts on my rig, but if it was reasonable I replaced them. Figured it was easier to do while it was in a million pieces versus getting it back together and having something fail a short time later. On the acquisition front, slow and steady parts buying reduced the financial hurt a lot for me. Still expensive though.

One word of advice…definitely don’t total up the cost until you’re completely done.
it's never completely done, though :doh:

Stupid question, but I honestly don't know.

If something is either polished, or chrome plated, does it reflect heat more effectively?

I'm thinking of heat shielding on the underside.

I feel personally attacked here

20210807_172031.jpg

Pro tip:
When playing drunken taxi driver with a Landcruiser for your wife and some of her friends, open the footwell vents. It pressurizes the cockpit, and limits the spray the other passengers incur.

That is all for today.

I've been eyeing up the Corsa Dakar wheels. They look really good on a 40 I think. But I think they are a little too rich for my blood. I'm possibly going back to using the Method 704 wheel, which is about half the cost. I say possibly, because I'm not sure they will actually clear everything. I emailed Method a while back to see if they had a dxf of the wheel cross section, I got a pdf instead, but I got it to work easily enough. I finally cut out the cross section on the cnc today, this weekend I'll blip a front wheel off and see what it looks like. I'll probably make a hub for it as well that will slip over the studs to make sure I'm indexing properly.

I need to look at my front brakes. I had to brake hard last week, and the rear locked up a bit, which surprised me. I'm wondering if the front rotors are all glazed up or something.

20210913_171456.jpg

Took the misses to shoot a firearm for the first time yesterday. It's amazing how differently some people are raised. I think I started shooting when I was six or seven years old. Started her off with big steel plates at 50 yards. Pretty hard to miss with that setup.

20210914_185050.jpg

Got a chance to actually lock in the hubs and use low range finding a nice place to shoot on the neighbor's property. Nothing crazy, but I'm not interested in ripping up grass on a semi steep hillside. Got a new desktop picture for my computer.

20210914_190210.jpg

My pants are a little tight...

Speedo goes to 80mph instead of 120
Tach goes to 4k instead of 8000 rpm

Then the logo in the center at start up is the TEQ logo.

Toyota-Custom-RTX-Day-Custom-Branding.jpg

Showed up today. I am pretty excited to get these in.

View attachment 2795146
Nice! Extremely envious of your new instrument cluster. Can you provide us with specifics. Is is a Dakota; from where did you order it; price; particularly interested in the install, sensors, calibration and how difficult it will be to get it all dialed in.
Thank you.

Great truck and I like your storytelling style! Following to see how your wheel choices work out.

Any chance I can trade 2 of the laziest Vizsla guard dogs ever for that H55F?

Nice! Extremely envious of your new instrument cluster. Can you provide us with specifics. Is is a Dakota; from where did you order it; price; particularly interested in the install, sensors, calibration and how difficult it will be to get it all dialed in.
Thank you.

It is from Dakota Digital. I ordered it directly from them. I shoot in a precision rifle league with .22's, NRL22. I was at a match in western Minnesota and was chatting with a guy who's kid was in the same group I was shooting with, and found out he worked for Dakota Digital. I really don't want to talk about price. I got a good deal, and probably based entirely on the circumstance of being in the right place at the right time. Getting the custom speed/tachometer layout was easy, just an option. The programming to get the TEQ logo was no big deal as well, I think I just sent him a .tiff file for that. I was ready to send a vector file I'd been working on to cut on the cnc though as well.

I'm working on installing it today, and probably tomorrow. I laid on the couch and pissed away half the day curled up with my own lazy Vizsla watching Discovery Channel this morning. I won't get it done today....

Brandon from Classic Cruisers grew up in Minnesota, he's headed towards his parent's place, and I'm meeting him at the interstate to grab a new roof cap, and a refurbished steering wheel from him later today.

After this post I'm headed to Napa to get some wire to see if I can come up with a clever way to get get signal from the factory barrel plug on the back of the cluster, to the new brain box for things like high beam, turn signals, fuel level, etcetera. I don't think getting things dialed in is going to be that tough? I'm hoping a bunch of that can be tweaked with the app on my phone. The rest of the sensors look pretty straight forward.

I drove it to my work this morning so I pulled the original gauges out, flipped through the manual a bit, mounted the switch, and came up with a plan for mounting the brain box. I put the speed sensor in the transfer case and got that cable routed into the cab, but that's about it so far.

Great truck and I like your storytelling style! Following to see how your wheel choices work out.

Any chance I can trade 2 of the laziest Vizsla guard dogs ever for that H55F?

LOL I don't know if all Vizsla's are wired the way mine is, but she is SUPER territorial. Also extremely spineless. She'll act tough, then run away fuzzed up....

I got so lucky with this rig. It was exactly the correct 40 for me. Needs work, but not a wreck, and the problems/improvements can be nibbled away at. Having the correct transmission and transfer case for a Cummins R2.8 swap is a huge money saver for me.

It is from Dakota Digital. I ordered it directly from them. I shoot in a precision rifle league with .22's, NRL22. I was at a match in western Minnesota and was chatting with a guy who's kid was in the same group I was shooting with, and found out he worked for Dakota Digital. I really don't want to talk about price. I got a good deal, and probably based entirely on the circumstance of being in the right place at the right time. Getting the custom speed/tachometer layout was easy, just an option. The programming to get the TEQ logo was no big deal as well, I think I just sent him a .tiff file for that. I was ready to send a vector file I'd been working on to cut on the cnc though as well.

I'm working on installing it today, and probably tomorrow. I laid on the couch and pissed away half the day curled up with my own lazy Vizsla watching Discovery Channel this morning. I won't get it done today....

Brandon from Classic Cruisers grew up in Minnesota, he's headed towards his parent's place, and I'm meeting him at the interstate to grab a new roof cap, and a refurbished steering wheel from him later today.

After this post I'm headed to Napa to get some wire to see if I can come up with a clever way to get get signal from the factory barrel plug on the back of the cluster, to the new brain box for things like high beam, turn signals, fuel level, etcetera. I don't think getting things dialed in is going to be that tough? I'm hoping a bunch of that can be tweaked with the app on my phone. The rest of the sensors look pretty straight forward.

I drove it to my work this morning so I pulled the original gauges out, flipped through the manual a bit, mounted the switch, and came up with a plan for mounting the brain box. I put the speed sensor in the transfer case and got that cable routed into the cab, but that's about it so far.
Sweet deal! Will you be mounting the brain box in the glove compartment? Ours is a 1970, so we don't have the barrel plug. I'm wondering if that is going to be a problem or if we can simply label everything and run new wire to over to the brain. Does the speed sensor replace the current spedo cable?

Sweet deal! Will you be mounting the brain box in the glove compartment? Ours is a 1970, so we don't have the barrel plug. I'm wondering if that is going to be a problem or if we can simply label everything and run new wire to over to the brain. Does the speed sensor replace the current spedo cable?
I think there is room to mount the box on top of the clutch pedal mount. There is a big flat spot there that I think will work well. I was planning on mounting it with heavy duty Velcro. We'll see. I'd rather do all of the terminal connections not in some weird/awkward little hole.

I think there is room to mount the box on top of the clutch pedal mount. There is a big flat spot there that I think will work well. I was planning on mounting it with heavy duty Velcro. We'll see. I'd rather do all of the terminal connections not in some weird/awkward little hole.
Thanks. It would be terrific if you wouldn't mind posting photos of your work.

How does the odometer work? Why 115k? Does it come with a new odometer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom