Builds My R2.8 Cummins FJ40 (RJ40) daily driver build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just purchased a 1975 FJ40 roller. I'm building it into a daily driver primarily. I have zero experience but I'm working with a guy who has a ton of restoration experience with older 2WD cars. Plan right now is a R2.8 Cummins with an NV4500 tranny.

IMG-1881.JPG

IMG-1882.JPG

IMG-1883.JPG

IMG-1884.JPG

IMG-1886.JPG

:popcorn:

Looks like a good start. Diesel will be cool.

Looks like a great truck for the project! Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Has anyone out there used an NV3500 before? How do they run? I'm still trying to figure out exactly what tranny and t-case I want to use for this thing. Thanks!

I have heard from some of the other builds the H55 transmission and split case transfer case are about 4” shorter than the NV3500. Which helps with mods to the transmission cover as well as the length of your rear driveshaft. I think the 5th gear reduction is like .85 for the H55 and .785 or there abouts for the NV3500. There were several builds going on MUD one by sheck was completed the others have seemed to slow down. By the way Georg at Cruiser Brothers used to sell new H55’s for around $2,600.

Last edited:
I have a 79 FJ40 that's getting a R2.8 with an NV4500. I am using the stock T-case. The motor/trans/t-case just got put together a few days ago and will be dry fit into the truck for measuring and new engine mounts.

I have heard from some of the other builds the H55 transmission and split case transfer case are about 4” shorter than the NV3500. Which helps with mods to the transmission cover as well as the length of your rear driveshaft. I think the 5th gear reduction is like .85 for the H55 and .785 or there abouts for the NV3500. There were several builds going on MUD one by sheck was completed the others have seemed to slow down. By the way Georg at Cruiser Brothers used to sell new H55’s for around $2,600.
Yeah, I was looking into a H55 but I really wanted that low overdrive gear that the NV4500 had. So, I just recently bought an NV4500 on ebay. It's apparently way bigger than what is needed but hopefully that just means it'll last longer with the R2.8. Now I gotta start thinking about the t-case. Right now I'm thinking of using an NP205

I have a 79 FJ40 that's getting a R2.8 with an NV4500. I am using the stock T-case. The motor/trans/t-case just got put together a few days ago and will be dry fit into the truck for measuring and new engine mounts.
That's interesting! Is the FJ40 T-case beefy enough for the R2.8? Where did you get your adaptor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom